Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Add more droop to the rear. The car will be able to transfer more weight to the front when slowing down.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rack
So have anybody found that the car pushing on entry. I tried 2.7's springs all the way around that did not help much. I am running the basic asphalt set for now. I need to know the fix for this.
There are a heap of things you can do: stand up front shocks, less rear toe in, shorten front camber link, softer front swaybar, lighter rear diff oil..etc.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

[QUOTEsdefcone;12215226]There are a heap of things you can do: stand up front shocks, less rear toe in, shorten front camber link, softer front swaybar, lighter rear diff oil..etc.[/QUOTE]

Won't standing up the front shocks stiffen the front end?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

thanks for the help
Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
[QUOTEsdefcone;12215226]There are a heap of things you can do: stand up front shocks, less rear toe in, shorten front camber link, softer front swaybar, lighter rear diff oil..etc.

Won't standing up the front shocks stiffen the front end?[/QUOTE]yes but as the weight transfers to the front it pushes the tyres into the surface harder,i would stand up the shocks 1 hole and drop the rear droop by a 1/2
Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
[QUOTEsdefcone;12215226]There are a heap of things you can do: stand up front shocks, less rear toe in, shorten front camber link, softer front swaybar, lighter rear diff oil..etc.

Won't standing up the front shocks stiffen the front end?[/QUOTE]

This worked best for me and gave me more steering.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JOE SI
Won't standing up the front shocks stiffen the front end?
This worked best for me and gave me more steering.[/QUOTE]

So conversely, stiffening the rear end will help on power rear traction? I just don't get this as there just isn't as much weight allowed to transfer.

Dave
Old 06-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

IMO stiffening the front will make the front dive less but since the shocks will be a little stiffer push down on the tires more giving more steering and grip
Old 06-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JOE SI
IMO stiffening the front will make the front dive less but since the shocks will be a little stiffer push down on the tires more giving more steering and grip
I'm going to state a non-answer, but IMO it's true. Nothing in car setup is an absolute.

When someone says, "I need more steering", that can mean quite a few things. Stiffening the front-end as JOE and defcone have recommended can certainly help certain types of steering. In particular initial steering will be improved, making the car feel more "direct". It can hamper other portions of the steering equation, but since the original request was to get into the corner faster it can help. It's also true that with a softer spring you'll transition weight more quickly and can get you to mid-corner faster which will let the car's roll take effect, generating rotation.

Take a look at Martin Crisp's mobile app, there are many times that it says something along the lines of, "do this, but sometimes do the opposite". It's all relative to the other factors effecting the car, most specifically tires and track conditions.

Some options were certainly presented, and they just might meet your needs. Testing in your specific situation is the right answer. Above all, take notes as to your results, and try no more than 1 or two things at a time, preferably 1, otherwise you'll be unaware of what worked or didn't work.

Good luck.
Ethan
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

chasing a bit of corner exit stability. The setup is mostly kit with 1k diff oil. I've got nice turn in and don't want to loose any. I'm thinking less front droop will give me what I need.

Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by erchn
I'm going to state a non-answer, but IMO it's true. Nothing in car setup is an absolute.

When someone says, "I need more steering", that can mean quite a few things. Stiffening the front-end as JOE and defcone have recommended can certainly help certain types of steering. In particular initial steering will be improved, making the car feel more "direct". It can hamper other portions of the steering equation, but since the original request was to get into the corner faster it can help. It's also true that with a softer spring you'll transition weight more quickly and can get you to mid-corner faster which will let the car's roll take effect, generating rotation.

Take a look at Martin Crisp's mobile app, there are many times that it says something along the lines of, "do this, but sometimes do the opposite". It's all relative to the other factors effecting the car, most specifically tires and track conditions.

Some options were certainly presented, and they just might meet your needs. Testing in your specific situation is the right answer. Above all, take notes as to your results, and try no more than 1 or two things at a time, preferably 1, otherwise you'll be unaware of what worked or didn't work.

Good luck.
Ethan
I totally agree, the only way is to make a change and test since no one really knows what the rest of the car feels like. Someone else can drive it, love it and say leave it alone.
In my situation, I needed turn in and it worked so I'd recommend to try it
Old 06-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nerdling
Hi Guys,

chasing a bit of corner exit stability. The setup is mostly kit with 1k diff oil. I've got nice turn in and don't want to loose any. I'm thinking less front droop will give me what I need.

Thoughts?
Less front droop will keep more weight on the front end and give you more on power steering. Try going the other way. If you have more front droop the front end will pick up off the ground more and more weight will transfer to the rear end.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kellen Guthrie
Less front droop will keep more weight on the front end and give you more on power steering. Try going the other way. If you have more front droop the front end will pick up off the ground more and more weight will transfer to the rear end.
Will do...

thx.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Tech Rookie

hi all,
i noticed that i have a certain play (say about 1.5mm) in the layshaft, which moves horintoally inside the layshaft bulkheads... but nothing is wrong, the bulkheads have the correct orientation, the bearings are not damaged... so is this ok ? i don't think that so much play is ok, sometimes the 20t pulleys scrub against the bulkheads if the layshaft is all the way to left or right....

i definitly need some advice...thx
Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nerdling
Hi Guys,

Thoughts?
try a thicker oil in the diff,go up to 2000cst

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.