TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King
Why not just get the car that best suits your track and style? Standup or laydown tranny, it should be pretty straight forward based on what everyone else runs at your track.
I just got back into the hobby after a 10 year break. bought a 2.0 for cheap because I ran losi before, and I'm pretty brand loyal. Everyone at my track runs associated with the anders laydown. I don't want to follow the herd, but unfortunately I might have to.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by xyzracer
Because you would have to spend over 500 bucks and end up with a car and a half to get a new losi 3.0 laydown setup. I think losi needs to do a complete laydown car or else they will be driving away a lot of customers on price alone.
Exactly
Old 05-30-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Why dont you guys just buy the exotek laydown... its only 90 bucks
Old 05-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Yep. Cheaper while keeping same chassis.

http://www.exotekracing.com/22-3-0-l...ox-conversion/
Old 05-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry guys I have to ask the question.

I do not understand this "sudden" obsession with the landown transmition. It cannot be that much better than the standard MM setup on high bite tracks. Especially not enough to warrant spending another $200.

I would only consider the laydown if you were running on Astro or carpet. And still I believe the advantages would be minimal.

There would be very few people that could drive the 3.0 to its potential in standard kit setup.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChrisUU

I do not understand this "sudden" obsession with the landown transmition. It cannot be that much better than the standard MM setup on high bite tracks. Especially not enough to warrant spending another $200.

I would only consider the laydown if you were running on Astro or carpet. And still I believe the advantages would be minimal.

There would be very few people that could drive the 3.0 to its potential in standard kit setup.
It's called "the fast guys have it, so I need it" disorder.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

People used to say stuff like that about mid motor cars. In time, laydown will be the standard.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

While I'm sure it's better, I agree with above that someone like me should focus more on becoming a better driver as what is really slowing me down is the 5+ times I need to get marshaled per race. I'm glad I saw that above post as I was previously browsing the exotek laydown conversion.

Another topic, are guys liking 4 gear trannys outdoor where grip isn't perfect?
Old 05-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CTRJ
People used to say stuff like that about mid motor cars. In time, laydown will be the standard.
Yes. There is a chance you are right. It may well be the norm one day.

Here in Oz we still run on traditional outdoor tracks. We resisted the MM car for as long as we could thinking it would never work on our surfaces. However the MM cars can develop very similar rear traction to the older RM cars, with the advantage of being able to carry more corner speed.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

Losi probably have a new car in the works.....That conversion even though steep is doable if you already have the car n wanna go that route.....but for someone looking to buy a new kit, i cant see many people buying a kit and a two hundred dollar conversion from the get go....
Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by NickTheGreek
Losi probably have a new car in the works.....That conversion even though steep is doable if you already have the car n wanna go that route.....but for someone looking to buy a new kit, i cant see many people buying a kit and a two hundred dollar conversion from the get go....
That's the spot I'm in 🤔
Old 05-30-2016, 11:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by roger206
It's called "the fast guys have it, so I need it" disorder.
No , it's called"in my country we only race on carpet and astro".....
Old 05-31-2016, 04:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisUU

I know, I am with you, why? The 3.0 handles exceptionally well IMHO coming from a B5MFL I think the stock 3.0 is amazing! I run on dirt so I'm knot jerking my knee. I'm keeping mine stock...
Old 05-31-2016, 04:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickTheGreek
Even those of us that have the car already can't justify that price
Old 05-31-2016, 04:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by retro
No , it's called"in my country we only race on carpet and astro".....
There are many other cars built for carpet. After AE bowed to the 6%ers out there I guess everybody else expects every other company to do the same thing. I am guessing here. So now every other company HAS to come out with a dirt car and a carpet car, ala X-Ray/AE/Yokomo...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.