Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Back in the hobby

I have taken a couple years off and the rc bug has returned. I see a few things have changed, mainly the li-po batteries and the AE has moved to a belt drive! I've went through a hundred or so posts and the TC5R has overall great reviews. I like mainly how Team Associated doesn;t change cars every 6 months and that they seem to have a well dialed car.

I had raced with a TRF414 but I am thinking about getting the TC5. Anyone have some up to date pro's / con's on the TC5R?

I was alos looking at the Tamiya 416WC edition but I like the idea of having easy to get parts and support from my local hobby shop. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

J
Old 11-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PartTime
Wish they had 4deg blocks. Would love a set.

DK
integy makes the 4 degree-i dont know anything about them though.

http://integy.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/s...=5732&p_catid=
Old 11-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ravex911
I have taken a couple years off and the rc bug has returned. I see a few things have changed, mainly the li-po batteries and the AE has moved to a belt drive! I've went through a hundred or so posts and the TC5R has overall great reviews. I like mainly how Team Associated doesn;t change cars every 6 months and that they seem to have a well dialed car.

I had raced with a TRF414 but I am thinking about getting the TC5. Anyone have some up to date pro's / con's on the TC5R?

I was alos looking at the Tamiya 416WC edition but I like the idea of having easy to get parts and support from my local hobby shop. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

J

You just answered alot of your own questions The TC5R out of the box on my local track is great because our track does not have alot of traction at times. If your local track has alot of grip the box stock setup might need to be changed, it all depends on your driving style. I'am use to driving with a ONE-WAY so I needed a little more on power steering so I changed the rear springs to Assoc Blue and moved the bell crank linkage to 2B instead of 1B per a suggustion on this forum and I found the steering I was looking for. The car seems to react to adjustments very well, you don't have to change a bunch of things in your setup to see a difference in proformance.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

ravex911

One thing that I noticed with the battery strap is that if you are not careful when you tighten it down to the battery it could have a tendency to bow the chassis. So some are using tape instead.

I myself took a 4-40 nut and put it on the threaded rod part. Then I put the battery strap on the nut to see just how far the strap is off. Then I elongated the holes so that the strap would sit down better. I am still messing with it though as I am not 100% happy with it and I am to lazy to use tape.

The only other thing that I wish the car had was is a center one-way. I prefer running two diffs and a center one-way for rubber tires on carpet but I will get over it.

Those are my only complaints so far.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=AeRacer805;5086646]You just answered alot of your own questions The TC5R out of the box on my local track is great because our track does not have alot of traction at times. If your local track has alot of grip the box stock setup might need to be changed, it all depends on your driving style. QUOTE]

Thanks for the resonse. Yeah I guess I kinda did answer my own ?s, just wanted confirmation mostly. I'm pretty excited about building a car again and getting back intgo the races. The TC5 looks really refined from the old TC3 design.

Where I live they have a high bite asphalt track, and a lot of the guys with the tc5's appear to run the silver/gold spring cobo. Does that seem right?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

R they running the sliver spring in the rear or front? If thats what works at that track then thats what works. The gold springs are pretty stiff and the slivers are on the soft side thats why Assco came out with the blue springs. Stiffer than slivers but softer than gold Assco springs from hardest to softest are-----RED,GOLD,BLUE,SLIVER,GREEN for asphalt anyway.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Kraig - Thanks for the battery tip. I've always used tape on my batteries so that part doesn’t bother me. Is there anything else I should know about before building the car? I heard a few people were having issues with building shocks, though it doesn’t seem all that difficult.

AeRacer805 - I believe its silver in the back. I'll probably just start with the base setup and work from there. I'll pick up spring colors you mentioned though.

I really want to pick up a kit this week and build it over the holiday. Anyone know a good online hobby shop that has decent prices on the TC5R, or one with coupon codes? My LHS only carries the foam edition so I have to go the online route.

Anyway, I'll probably have a bunch of build/setup questions once I get started. The site/forum seems to help resolve all sorts of issues.

I'm pretty excited about getting back into the hobby, and the TC5 looks like the way to go.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ravex911
I really want to pick up a kit this week and build it over the holiday. Anyone know a good online hobby shop that has decent prices on the TC5R, or one with coupon codes? My LHS only carries the foam edition so I have to go the online route.

Anyway, I'll probably have a bunch of build/setup questions once I get started. The site/forum seems to help resolve all sorts of issues.

I'm pretty excited about getting back into the hobby, and the TC5 looks like the way to go.
In finding a TC5R with a decent price try: Speedtech RC (www.speedtechrc.com) or Ampdraw hobbies (www.Ampdraw.com). Prices are pretty good and so is their fast shipping!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

if anyone is interested in buying one, im selling a 5 run tc5r.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...3-5-motor.html
Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Questions??

Hi Guy's

I Need some help with a TC5-R

It is wanting to spin out when coming out of the corners ( on power ) it just wants to slide the ass ( its worse coming out of left hand corners & just a little coming out of right hand corners )

Any hints or tips would be great

See ya
Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by BLUE 2
Hi Guy's

I Need some help with a TC5-R

It is wanting to spin out when coming out of the corners ( on power ) it just wants to slide the ass ( its worse coming out of left hand corners & just a little coming out of right hand corners )

Any hints or tips would be great

See ya
Please post what your setup is and what body you are using.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by revo61
Please post what your setup is and what body you are using.
Hi

It is running a R9-F body
rubber tyres - outdoors - Bitumen ( med grip ) sorex 36's

I will fill out a setup sheet & post it on here .

Here we go

See ya

Last edited by BLUE 2; 11-24-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Hi

Be back soon .

See ya
If you use a slipper spool, make sure it is tight.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default yo

#1tighten your rear diff. #2check your chassis for wear marks.#3 go with the blue springs all four.#4check and reset ride height. let me know if that helped...
Old 11-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi

Here we go

See ya

Use a rubber tire body. THe R9-F is for foams, and has considerably less downforce than its rubber tire cousin, the R9-R, or a Mazdaspeed 6. The Speed 6 should work almost anywhere, try that and see if it helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.