Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradfox2
thats what i thought, I picked up all the pieces to convert the buggy over for like 190 bucks after live cashback. t.u. ebay.

I pretty much built an entire new buggy except the shocks, bearings and diffs (which mine are 2 smart, 1 reg). It needed it, the nitro pit really wears the car out fast.

Does anyone else break wing mounts pretty consistantly? Mine always end up cracking and I dont crash a whole lot.
Yes, I had that problem. Went with aluminum mounts, now on my truggy the shock towers are cracking. Not very quickly, but they do crack. My step son's buggy has never cracked a shock tower with his aluminum Integy wing mounts.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I`ve been racing the 8ights since they first came out and never had a wing mount break .

Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
I`ve been racing the 8ights since they first came out and never had a wing mount break .

Your one of the lucky ones then! I also break these on a regular basis...

Maybe if I learn to drive better! LOL
Old 04-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Not sure why you guys break them . The normal crowd I race with the majority used to be Losi and nobody ever had this problem . Strange how some things happen in one area don`t in another . Like when Byron went to the Gen2 fuel , 85% had problems with the fuel in my area and when I asked on RC Tech if others had problems not many did .
Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Not sure why you guys break them . The normal crowd I race with the majority used to be Losi and nobody ever had this problem . Strange how some things happen in one area don`t in another . Like when Byron went to the Gen2 fuel , 85% had problems with the fuel in my area and when I asked on RC Tech if others had problems not many did .
It could just be the size of the track. Everytime i go out to nitro pit, i break a wing mount, just because if the buggy rolls over and slides on the wing going really fast there is a whole lot of stress and half the wing mount cracks. Then on the next big crash, the rest of the mount snaps off.

I think i am going to try putting a small piece of fuel tubing between the actual mount and the shock tower to try and absorb some of that shock and keep them lasting a bit longer. Or mabye a servo grommet might even work better.

Nitronutz used to sell them on ebay for like 2.99 a mount but that seems to have dried up. I need another source for cheap wingmounts.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

It could also be the climate... Plastic breaks easier in cold then hot weather.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Akhor
It could also be the climate... Plastic breaks easier in cold then hot weather.
I was at Thunder Alley in beaumont California when it broke. It wasnt cold....
Old 04-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Lord

in 2 year's ive cracked a wing mount but never had one fail.....the mounts do tweek over time creating a "S"...but they are just as strong as the stock one's....my truggy has has the S bend wing mount for quite some time now andNo problem's what so ever.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

well, he just crashes more than you Now they do bend, but they only really seem to break in serious crashes, such as hitting the light post on the track. And yes, plastic is defiantly more brittle in the cold weather, more prone to snap. Did the Gen2 fuel have some age to it? it can go bad rather quickly esp when exposed to the air.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

The Gen2 was all new right from Byrons . I had plenty of Gen1 so it never bothered me . But dozens were having the same problems so I went to Tilted fuel when I ran out of Gen1 .
Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
in 2 year's ive cracked a wing mount but never had one fail.....the mounts do tweek over time creating a "S"...but they are just as strong as the stock one's....my truggy has has the S bend wing mount for quite some time now andNo problem's what so ever.
Yea funny you would say that, My mother accidentally ran over my nitro 8ights wing in her suv while I was visiting over christmas time. It only did the 'S' thing, but didnt snap.

Mine normally crack just above the top mounting nut, between the nut space and the front edge. Same place over and over.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=bradfox2;5627227]
I think i am going to try putting a small piece of fuel tubing between the actual mount and the shock tower to try and absorb some of that shock and keep them lasting a bit longer. Or mabye a servo grommet might even work better.
QUOTE]

I'm going to add a rubber washer instead of the hard plastic one.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

I'm with the Non-crack crowd. After my first year with the 8 the wing mount curved into an "S" like the previous guys. But one year later now with a new mount and no problems. I'm still in the 3-5 crashes per qualifier group. I just can't seem to run one clean race.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Lord

I love pulling off a clean Crash free quali....make's you feel good for the upcoming main.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

I never broke 1 in the 18 months I ran the 8 but I "bent" a few

and your not wrong Integra theres nothing better than putting in a clean run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.