Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

can't you simply accept that the spurs are defected/made from the wrong plastic/crappy design?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ebay007
can't you simply accept that the spurs are defected/made from the wrong plastic/crappy design?
I absolutely could if any of spur gears I have personally seen strip weren't the result of poor mesh and/or bad pinions. If the plastic is weak and the design is flawed in some way make them fix it. But there needs to be more proof that the spur itself is the culprit. That is why I ask for details anytime someone posts they have stripped a spur.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I'm mostly an on-roader but do run off road also and i'm patiently waiting for my D413 on order.

This is just an idea. In onroad running MOD 5.5T - 4.5T motors I've had issues with spurs stripping because of the "Breaks" being set to 100% on the ESC and on the Radio. I soften the breaks to 90% and problem gone. Could that be the Spur issue?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
I don't think a green hobbyist would have the knowhow to file down teeth to finish a race.

This car's kryptonite is the spur and I presume that not too far down the road a harder, more durable plastic must be introduced. Hell, I've been thinking about contacting my old supplier for the material I used for my paintball bolts which is a self lubricating plastic that's really tough. Plus, it'll add a touch of coolness to the spur.

Torrence, can you tell me what material is used for the spur via PM?
You bring up a point that got me thinking about brake strength. I wonder if those that are setting the mesh correctly, have always ran new pinions to match, and keep their mounts tight are running really heavy braking on the ESC. The braking seems to really stress test drive train from my 8th scale days and this d413 seems identical. What is your brake setting on the ESC?

The spur material definitely looks different than the AE and TLR spurs so that could explain it. Also under extreme heat it could be warping and getting out of round. Again just speculating based on color of the spur plastic.

I wonder if a 8th scale type spur gear could come out if V2 of this buggy.

This picture of the TLR 8ight 3.0e spur combination seems to have worked well on 8th scale.
Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy-losa3560.jpg  
Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

you see where a sworkz guy tried to run a HB center diff on his 104? guess what? stripped it. i think there's enough of them out there that you have to at least consider the possibility that something is off with the material. i check my mesh before and after every run and haven't had a problem *knock on wood*, but i've read about enough stripped ones that i personally think something may be wrong. remember, there aren't that many kits out there right now so the number of stripped spurs with a limited number of kits also lends credibility to the flawed material scenario.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

I absolutely think it is possible that the spur gear material and/or design is flawed. I am worried that if we don't prove it more definitively to HB nothing will change though. That is why I am playing the role of the A-hole asking folks to prove it.

I would be curious to see the total number of D413s in use worldwide next to the total number of spur gears stripped. If that data isn't compelling nothing will change.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

i also think it would be helpful to know from those who have stripped them, what action caused it? was under heavy braking? was it during a big crash? did you check the mesh before the run? i know it might be hard to tell exactly what caused the stripped spur, it looks like in lass' case, the saw blade pinion was most likely the culprit, but what about mondrell? does he know exactly when it stripped?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have not ran mine yet, but from what I can see the hpi spur looks to have a different cut then ae, or losi...a pinion gear with rounded teeth ,I don't think would mesh properly.but a Robinson racing pinion looks to have the same cut as the spur and fits better.... again I don't know 100% but from what I can tell, that's what it looks like
Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

tekno RC has awesome spur material
glass filled possibly?
with an 1/8 truggy and buggy (TEKNO electrics) ZERO spur gear problems since day 1
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
i also think it would be helpful to know from those who have stripped them, what action caused it? was under heavy braking? was it during a big crash? did you check the mesh before the run? i know it might be hard to tell exactly what caused the stripped spur, it looks like in lass' case, the saw blade pinion was most likely the culprit, but what about mondrell? does he know exactly when it stripped?
I agree, useful data is key, but may be hard to gather.

Mondrell's motor shifted as the screws weren't tight enough. I checked it out right after it stripped.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by boudin4evr
tekno RC has awesome spur material
glass filled possibly?
with an 1/8 truggy and buggy (TEKNO electrics) ZERO spur gear problems since day 1
It's different in 1/8 scale because the teeth are bigger and there is "room" for fibers. but in 1/10 its always w/out fibers because of the size.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So far I have run quite a bit with no spur problems. Probably about 30-40 packs.

My opinion is that there are spur problems because there is no slipper. I am thinking about the force on the spur/pinion when the wheels suddenly stop, like if you are on power in the air and then land and the wheels suddenly stop. With any other 4wd, once the force reaches a certain point the slipper slips, likely saving the spur. On this buggy, 100% of that force is transmitted to the mesh between the pinion and spur. Having the center diff increases the weight of the driveline, increasing the force further.

I would guess that the spur strength is average, but it is under a lot more force than the average spur gear.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would imagine that seeing how many folks have been asking about the spur...

That the good folks at AVID, JConcepts, ExoTek etc.... have been looking for what other stuff to make for the kit....

If someone doesn't come out with a STOCK 72t 48p Machined Delrin spur option I'd be shocked! I also wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller spur too.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

One of those white Robinson Racing all machined gears would be nice. Someone should drop them a message.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Legend

Joes is lot more quiet, nothing done just running it and breaking end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.