Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tony gray
Refer to HERE the oft-criticised M05 steering is NOT as bad as everyone makes it out to be...
Its not imaginery
Ive a M05 pro with steering & shock upgrade & a stock std M05 with hi-toque servo saver (& steering bearings)
The both have iffy steering: both pulled to the right under full power.
Foams on the front helped & lowering the front also helped (nether 'legal' under local rules)
More toe out made the biggest difference: made the stock M05 drivable.
The still both wander far too much.

My old M03 just worked,steering wise
Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mangoman
Also alloy steering rack is a good idea (you need to get a couple of different parts to replace it).
I tried the Yeah racing steering rack. Much cheaper, but doesnt solve the fundamental steering issues. Other parts of the steering are still sloppy as , so not much point in it.
Bearings in the steering are a cheap upgrade.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

For those of you who long for a shell to replace the Chevron monster Mini, feast your eyes on these beauties at a recent (2009) event. Please Chevron, take some inspiration from this!!!!

Thanks to madjack in the Tamiya Championship Series forum.

Last edited by rcnutbag; 10-26-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1101
Its not imaginery
Ive a M05 pro with steering & shock upgrade & a stock std M05 with hi-toque servo saver (& steering bearings)
The both have iffy steering: both pulled to the right under full power.
Foams on the front helped & lowering the front also helped (nether 'legal' under local rules)
More toe out made the biggest difference: made the stock M05 drivable.
The still both wander far too much.

My old M03 just worked,steering wise
How tight is your diff?? If the diff is like a spool it will wander down the straight and pull to one side under full power...
Old 10-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Questions?? Need Advice

Hi all,

I have a bunch of questions to ask you..

I'm looking to get a Tamiya mini for my second class as they're cheap and from experience I know they're a lot of fun! But the last time I owned one was back in 2005. I think the second version was just released(longer version?) and that was the one I got.

I remember them as horrible handling, good race bashers and a ton of fun!

I don't have a great memory, so I don't really know anything about minis anymore.

Which mini would have the best handling? I want one that turns good and won't roll much. (after some experience)

Also, are there any KITS that comes with all electronics? I'll probably be investing in a new receiver either way so I can use the same radio for both my cars.

What spare parts should I stock up on?

Are there any Tamiya upgrades I should get? Not looking to put too much money into it though. I won't take it that seriously compared to my touring car.

Should I be getting spare tires? If yes, what kind?

How much do you think I will be spending on everything? I know +$305 for kit, transponder and receiver.

So far looking at the M-03L and M-05 kits..

Any answers or advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

Last edited by Zac_with_no_K; 10-26-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K
Hi all,

I have a bunch of questions to ask you..

I'm looking to get a Tamiya mini for my second class as they're cheap and from experience I know they're a lot of fun! But the last time I owned one was back in 2005. I think the second version was just released(longer version?) and that was the one I got.

I remember them as horrible handling, good race bashers and a ton of fun!

I don't have a great memory, so I don't really know anything about minis anymore.

Which mini would have the best handling? I want one that turns good and won't roll much. (after some experience)

Also, are there any KITS that comes with all electronics? I'll probably be investing in a new receiver either way so I can use the same radio for both my cars.

Are there any Tamiya upgrades I should get? Not looking to put too much money into it though. I won't take it that seriously compared to my touring car.

How much do you think I will be spending on everything? I know $180 for transponder and receiver.

Any answers or advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!
At the risk of sounding like a real jerk, let me tell you this. This same question gets asked every third or fourth page of this thread. If you'll page back 4 or 5 pages, you'll find the answer to your question. Usually in great detail. If not, go to Tony Gray's rcmini website. You'll find the link within a few pages.

Also, let me welcome you to the world on Mini racing. It's inexpensive racing and a much fun. You've made a wise decision to try it
Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, just my thoughts.

Tamiya M05

Tamiya RTR Kits

Front steering knuckle.

Ball bearings. Tires.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

and a steel pinion
Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rccartips
Hi, just my thoughts.

Tamiya M05
Thats why I got the M05, definitely less prone to rollover ....with my bad driving habits
Old 10-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K
Err i think you meant to order a can of whoopass not worms. Ask your hobby shop if they will do an exchange.
There may be a significant price difference though.

M03 and M05s handle different so there is no right or wrong answer to that question and too many variables to take into account. Ask at your local track what drivers prefer. You may still find no majority though.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

BTW Setup wise, the harder a car turns the more its probably going to roll.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

From the acres of info I have seen it seems the M05 is better on high grip surface due to better and lower weight distribution so doesn't roll over. The M03 is easier to setup and get running with minimal mods.

You can convert a M03 to a M05 later by buying the separate plastic parts for not a lot of money and reuse the expensive hop ups like bearings, shocks, diff, universals etc.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Quick Q... anyone know the painst required for the box stock scheme on this Abarth Assetto Corse...

I've been told PS-32 Corsa Grey is the body , but is the front spoiler painted, and are the windows smoke decals or smoke paint?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Quick Q... anyone know the painst required for the box stock scheme on this Abarth Assetto Corse...

I've been told PS-32 Corsa Grey is the body , but is the front spoiler painted, and are the windows smoke decals or smoke paint?
I ordered Tamiya Pastel Grey for mine, that is the correct color.
Masked windows, don't remember if it had smoke decals for windows as i like to keep mine clear and usally cut them out.

Spray can did not have any Tamiya part number.... I got my 2 cans from ebay.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1101
I tried the Yeah racing steering rack. Much cheaper, but doesnt solve the fundamental steering issues. Other parts of the steering are still sloppy as , so not much point in it.
Bearings in the steering are a cheap upgrade.
3racing's aluminium steering is a 2nd good choice compared to Tamiya's.
Just shim out the gap and race it, steering feel no different than with Tamiya's aluminium but at 1/4 the price....

I use orginal Tamiya hop ups only on my car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.