Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tony gray
All new M06 Pro pics, straight from the Japan show. Exclusive to rc-mini!

I notice this is the first m chassis to have adjustable front camber. It looks like a proper step forward. Makes the M05 look more like a M03.1.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr lee
Does the 416 screw have a bigger head hence it does not cause it to crush as easily?

I don't think the screw head size is the difference. I think its the nut. Its a different design. I assembeled mine with a drop of lock tight on the threads and havent had any issues.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Cool thanks J-VET!

I have another brand new M05 diff so will use this one for now and build with AW grease and a drop of thread lock on the nut......when it gives in I will try the 416 parts.

By building it the way I want to now it should last a lot longer.........with the old one I used to tighten it up before each race meeting and I think this is what did it in the end! If the AW grease and thread lock allows it to retain the same diff action for a longer period without me having to tighten it up as often it should last....lets see.......!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

What is the difference between these two pics?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-minia.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-minib.jpg  
Old 10-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The answer to the above question?

The wheels . Lok closely at the piucture on the right. It has standard Mini wheels which look wrong on a lot of Mini bodies because they are too small and look out of scale.

Now look at the picture on the left. These are the new off the production line Ride "inch up" rims and tyres. The tyres are 60D style diameter but they have low sidewalls because Ride made a slightly larger diameter rim.

The advantage apart from looking more scale? Well , in theory you have the advantage of 60mm diameter tyres on your Mini without having the high tyre sidewalls which tend to flex.

Will they be an advantage? Only time will tell.

They come in two compounds ... a front 38 and a rear 36. The tyres come with a foam insert (not moulded) but some intial testing shows that a TC insert can be squeezed down to fit inside the tyres

Last edited by cannon; 10-23-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey fellow Mini pros,

I have plenty of M03s from over the years, but I just ordered the regular M05 Cooper kit (basically because I wanted another Mini, LOL). This one will be florescent orange with the florescent orange Swift wheels.

I've got plenty of bearings to throw in it, but I'm wondering if there's any other "must have" parts I should get for it? This will just be a basher.

Any trouble spots on the M05 to look out for and is it as bulletproof as the M03?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Apparently the front ally shock tower makes a big difference to the handling.

Also alloy steering rack is a good idea (you need to get a couple of different parts to replace it).
Old 10-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackMini
Hey fellow Mini pros,

I have plenty of M03s from over the years, but I just ordered the regular M05 Cooper kit (basically because I wanted another Mini, LOL). This one will be florescent orange with the florescent orange Swift wheels.

I've got plenty of bearings to throw in it, but I'm wondering if there's any other "must have" parts I should get for it? This will just be a basher.

Any trouble spots on the M05 to look out for and is it as bulletproof as the M03?

Thanks!
Hire an exorcist. It's the only thing I haven't tried to sort the steering problem out on my m-05

Maybe try : TRF or Super Mini CVA Dampers to replace the gruesome kit ones.

And some universals to lessen the chattering if it bothers you.

I'm still not convinced it is as good as the M-03 and it certainly is not as durable.

The bell crank steering is an absolute nightmare.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

On my M05 I-

Shimmed and put bearings in the steering , threw some oil shocks on and went. I also used a tamiya heavy duty servo saver and the universals from my m03. The car runs great.

I put the alloy motor plate on, but not sure if it did anything. A fellow racer says it would help with heat???? Going to get the alloy steering system. Like the blue bling.

Just like on the m03, the alloy arms are nice. The plastic always bend if you hit something.

Also I use the sweep mini tires. Think they make a big difference.

Chris
Old 10-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the M05 tips everybody. I've got plenty of bearings, so I guess I'll throw some in the steering too.... I kind of have a feeling the steering will be tempermental. Some replacement shocks will be next.

Oh well, at least it'll be fun to work out all of the bugs.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Refer to HERE the oft-criticised M05 steering is NOT as bad as everyone makes it out to be...
Old 10-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Refer to HERE the oft-criticised M05 steering is NOT as bad as everyone makes it out to be...
Thanks Tony.... I've decided against ordering the aluminum steering parts after reading your article. I actually can't wait to put this M05 beast together now. It should be here on Tuesday. I am used to building M03s, so this should be interesting.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Your article is dead right about the steering bits. In the hands of a highly skilled Mini driver who rarely if ever whacks anything, it's perfectly fine. In the hands of those even slightly less skilled or those below that level, the steering likage is too fragile. It doesn't break, it bends and even a slight tweak can really make the steering erratic. The right arm seems to be the culprit in most cases. It's been my experience, that everyone I know, with one possible exception, has bent the linkage in the first few weeks.

The criticism is not that it doesn't work, which it does, but that it doesn't work for long. If you don't want to buy the aluminum steering at least purchase an extra tree of the steering parts.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the info you gave me and taking the time to explain stuff, Granpa.
Will be testing it out later.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RossoTorro
Thanks for the info you gave me and taking the time to explain stuff, Granpa.
Will be testing it out later.
No problem A. There's also a lot of stuff in the Silvercan Tips/Tricks Thread in this forum. Some of it very good, my stuff especially and some not so good.

rccardr posts there as does A-Ko, both of whom really know their stuff. rcardr or Doc Mertes of Red Dot motor fame, is the motor guru and knows more about this subject than is really worth knowing. A-Ko has been building some really viscious motors lately, so he's worth reading. A number of others too, but in my old age forget. No insult intended to others who've posted good and valuable info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.