Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Age and trechery!

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
Ned and Lon Sr are both very very old. lol Matt and myself are not so much. We gaining on them every day though.
II is correct, SR. and I are very, very, old but altough the younger guys can catch us on the race track, and they can gain on us, they can never catch us in age! (Until we croak!!)
Old 11-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Default Options in Pan Class

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
By the way, No one says you have to run a P8C. It just appears to be the only game in town at this time. Bring out the old stuff and have at it. Ricks car driven by Matt put on a very good show, can it beat a P8C, I say yes! However, if I had to bet money on the race, I'd bet on the P8C and win more then lose.
Although I didn't see Rick's car run, I probably have to agree with you that the modern stuff would have an advantage. But you gotta remember I was really into scratch building until RC 300's and then the MRP's and I would really like to build or at least modify something to race.

I have learned that it's hard to beat factory engineering but the Pan Class may be my one last chance to try The comment on selling the P8C was "mostly" in jest, at least until I can build something and test it out!!!

(Sure wish I was in Toledo with that nice track to test on! But racing outside today in 65 degree sunshine was pretty nice!)
Old 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Default Old Delta Car

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Hey guys here's a oldie but a goodie!! Click on to link http://www.flickr.com/photos/4847784...n/photostream/ Delta 750. Can you guys remember these car??? If you can then you are as old as me.
Remember it, I copied it!!! For a number of years I built my own chassis based on the Delta design using Delta clutches. I still have an old Veco back plate with a dowel mounted in the center to use for drilling the engine mounting holes. The upper chassis plate was mounted on welnuts (I think) so it could rock back and forth and the lower plate was thinner and flexed a bit for suspension....

Neat old stuff!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Default Racing Program

The pans are all going to be a blast! Yet you can already see how the guys planning on running an older car are gathering parts. Ned is putting together a fleet of Associated cars and thumbing his nose at some of us by selling his P8C. T-Bone is looking for a used P8C, maybe Herb. How much? Over the years I've learned to respect Neds racing program, that could change
One of my biggest problems as I get older (and I mean, OLDER, not 40ish!!) is I still have so many ideas and things I want to try to do and worry I won't have time! (This is actually a blessing 'cause the alternative is to sit around and do nothing!)

I just want to play with something different although I have learned that the
smarter move is to "go with the flow". I think I'll have to spend some time looking for a reasonable test track around here where I can compare my home-made stuff with the P8C! Wonder what Connie would think of me having our lower yard paved?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Remember it, I copied it!!! For a number of years I built my own chassis based on the Delta design using Delta clutches. I still have an old Veco back plate with a dowel mounted in the center to use for drilling the engine mounting holes. The upper chassis plate was mounted on welnuts (I think) so it could rock back and forth and the lower plate was thinner and flexed a bit for suspension....

Neat old stuff!
...............You remember that!! HA, HA ! Thats cool man you should make another one and run it in the pan class
Old 11-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
...............You remember that!! HA, HA ! Thats cool man you should make another one and run it in the pan class
The thought has crossed my mind! But it's easier to get Associated type clutch parts than Delta! Do you remember the "Powell Pods"? That's what we went to next. Still used the Delta clutch but the pod was cast aluminum and just for screws held it to the pan.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Matt,
You and I gotta stick together! This really started out last spring whit us all talking about VINTAGE PAN CARS! Remember everyone admiring your Associated? We talked about using old cars, about making our own versions of old pan cars, Joe even built a prototype front end!!!

!
..amazing how quickly a tide can be turned.........i never thought in a million years that 1/8 pan car would be run again.........everyone that has run them is having a ball and is grinning from ear to ear the whole time......also dont like the spec thing....it destroys creativity....we need to find a way to get our hands on some other pan cars ( w/o the insane prices....maybe the EURO will crash soon....LOL) besides the Motonica to mix it up a little.........
Old 11-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

So in the 70s the Cox TeeDee was cranking out 30,000 RPM, the Veco McCoy might do 12,000. What Ned says is true, if there was a good 1/12 gas car out there, I'd be making you all run those instead. A TeeDee .051 was about $16.00, Folks, Those were the days my Friends! I'd wish they would never end!
.Lon.i was quite interested when Kyosho came out with their 1/12 4WD Spada.........but was broken to tears upon learning that KYOSHO BRAINIACS thought it was a good idea to withhold it from the US market.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJUY-_GkLVc

Last edited by Taylorm; 11-13-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!

Matt, That car is nothing but cool!! Any idea what they use for power? Back in the day the Cox motors were sometimes hard to keep running. Get this, the stocker they were,the easier they started and kept running, the hopped up ones were faster for sure, so we hopped em up! 20 years later the Lite Machine helli people showed us how to make a Cox TeeDees run strong and with reliability.I ran Missile Mist for fuel.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you really want something other than the P8C, how about this:
http://www.redrc.net/2007/02/motonica-p80-classic-2wd/

I am sure they have a few sitting around, and I can probably wrangle one or two for cheap.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Default SPADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt, That car is nothing but cool!! Any idea what they use for power? Back in the day the Cox motors were sometimes hard to keep running. Get this, the stocker they were,the easier they started and kept running, the hopped up ones were faster for sure, so we hopped em up! 20 years later the Lite Machine helli people showed us how to make a Cox TeeDees run strong and with reliability.I ran Missile Mist for fuel.
Matt/Lon,
As usual, I HAD ONE!!! (might still, the guy hasn't paid me yet!!) Ordered it from Asia. Couldn't get wheels and tires for a while and had broken one front wheel. Really was fun to run on our TC course, would have been a ball to race.
The motor was an .o9 that was a scaled down regular design. Easy to start and plenty fast (for an old man)

I'm gonna try to get it back and bring it up there next summer They have a F1 version too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garen
If you really want something other than the P8C, how about this:
http://www.redrc.net/2007/02/motonica-p80-classic-2wd/

I am sure they have a few sitting around, and I can probably wrangle one or two for cheap.
that car looks great !! how does the cost compare too the cars we have ?. also looking for some tires with the black wheel like the gq guys have in the rock hard compound.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Matt, What do you think? I think Neds list, of things he hasn't had, would be allot shorter and easier to read, but not as interesting! Do they still market those cars?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Default I went it to turn black!

Joe, I'd bet money that black paint sticks to the wheels you have!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

The thought has crossed my mind! But it's easier to get Associated type clutch parts than Delta! Do you remember the "Powell Pods"? That's what we went to next. Still used the Delta clutch but the pod was cast aluminum and just for screws held it to the pan.
...................No I don't remember the Powell Pods. But I do remember really liking my bulletproof Delta clutch. My Delta car was built like a tank!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.