Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Advanced Electronics Black Diamond ESC

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

I tried today the BD speedo.
I must say it drives smooth. it is the smoothes speedo there is.
But infield it is about the same as all teh other speedo´s that I have.
We tried several gearings to see if it would go faster but I am not that impressed from the infield speed comparred to the GM and the Tekin.
The 2 fastest speedo´s I have. with both of them I have set a faster laptime.
Compared to the LRP SXX ss that I have it is the same.
To get a good infield speed, I had to gear it light. Even on a short straight I came top speed to short compared to the Tekin and the GM.
ended up 2nd in a practice race. I gave the speedo to the winner and he tried it. He became 3rd with it.
He was just as impressed about the feeling but also he didn´t found the infield speed so impressive.
I use a FDR with the Tekin of 7.0 with the SP13,5T motor.
With the BD I tried the same FDR and geared heavier to get more top speed.
But that made it slower in the lap times. Geared it even 8,5FDR but 7,2 FDR gave the best infield speed and the best lap times. lighter made it a bit faster in teh infield but the laptimes dropped because of a to low topspeed.
Laptimes wer close to the Tekin and the GM but for the speeds I wasn´t impressed like some of you in this topic. I was reading the topic and I couldn´t wait to try the speedo my self. I´m a bit dissapointed in the speedo. It drives better than the LRP but the Tekin and the GM are still the fastest speedo´s ad my club. And I now for shure that the speedo on our outdor track will come to much to short in top speed.

on small indoor tracks this is a great speedo but on our tracks it is not.

I think that as there is more top speed, that than the speedo will be also a good speedo for the larger tracks out here.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1/12scale
Does anyone know of a single connector that will plug on to pins 4&5 that I can use for my reciever pack. Currently I am using some individual female connectors that I put some heat shrink around. However they don't fit very well.
in vegas, we found that there is a novak harness that plugs directly in. i do not know a part number or anything like that, i do not know if it is even a production part, but charlie was sitting behind me and dropped it on the floor. i asked him about it and i think he said it was for the kinetic. personally i solder my stuff, i would never want a loose harness to be thereason i lost a race......but if you are not comfortable soldering such small wires on such small pins in a small area, then dont, as there is a real potential for damage. you can also try cutting down a sensor harness. i have heard that works as well.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

^^ im using the battery harness from a losi micro lipo 7.4v battery (just clip off the ear for a smoother fit)

or you could directly plug it in

Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toptek
I tried today the BD speedo.
I must say it drives smooth. it is the smoothes speedo there is.
But infield it is about the same as all teh other speedo´s that I have.
We tried several gearings to see if it would go faster but I am not that impressed from the infield speed comparred to the GM and the Tekin.
The 2 fastest speedo´s I have. with both of them I have set a faster laptime.
Compared to the LRP SXX ss that I have it is the same.
To get a good infield speed, I had to gear it light. Even on a short straight I came top speed to short compared to the Tekin and the GM.
ended up 2nd in a practice race. I gave the speedo to the winner and he tried it. He became 3rd with it.
He was just as impressed about the feeling but also he didn´t found the infield speed so impressive.
I use a FDR with the Tekin of 7.0 with the SP13,5T motor.
With the BD I tried the same FDR and geared heavier to get more top speed.
But that made it slower in the lap times. Geared it even 8,5FDR but 7,2 FDR gave the best infield speed and the best lap times. lighter made it a bit faster in teh infield but the laptimes dropped because of a to low topspeed.
Laptimes wer close to the Tekin and the GM but for the speeds I wasn´t impressed like some of you in this topic. I was reading the topic and I couldn´t wait to try the speedo my self. I´m a bit dissapointed in the speedo. It drives better than the LRP but the Tekin and the GM are still the fastest speedo´s ad my club. And I now for shure that the speedo on our outdor track will come to much to short in top speed.

on small indoor tracks this is a great speedo but on our tracks it is not.

I think that as there is more top speed, that than the speedo will be also a good speedo for the larger tracks out here.

It this base lap times on stock spec or timming set up?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

based on laptimes on my home track and compared it wile driving against a 2 other Tekin drivers and 1 GM driver.
The other drivers are good drivers. always A finall.

I drove with the Tekin first and than switched to the BD. later switched back to the Tekin.

It was today the first time in 3 years that I am beaten by an other driver.
I have the track record on our indoor and outdoor track in mod and stock.

Last time that I had problems whit winning, was when I tried an Speedpassion speedo.

My fastest and slowest lap are within 0,6sec from each other.

I was using a GM genius 120 but switched to LRP SXX ss.
Later when a Tekin driver came and I tried it I switched to Tekin.
I always try speedo's to see how they work.
I still have the GM and the LRP. The GM is at the moment the only speedo that is on our indoor and outdoor track that can compete with the Tekin.
Speeds are the same but the GM is harder to setup.
The BD was setup bij the owner. I only changed the gearing. Tested the BD and the Tekin with the same SPv3.0 13,5T motor.
Next week he comes and he has also a 17,5T SP motor. We are testing the BD than again. I will than also run with the LRP and GM.

I'm also going to use a novak thing so we can see the rpm range. I can try it from a clubmember. that's why I also try the GM and the Tekin.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

based on laptimes on my home track and compared it wile driving against a 2 other Tekin drivers and 1 GM driver.
The other drivers are good drivers. always A finall.

I drove with the Tekin first and than switched to the BD. later switched back to the Tekin.

It was today the first time in 3 years that I am beaten by an other driver.
I have the track record on our indoor and outdoor track in mod and stock.

Last time that I had problems whit winning, was when I tried an Speedpassion speedo.

My fastest and slowest lap are within 0,6sec from each other.

I was using a GM genius 120 but switched to LRP SXX ss.
Later when a Tekin driver came and I tried it I switched to Tekin.
I always try speedo's to see how they work.
I still have the GM and the LRP. The GM is at the moment the only speedo that is on our indoor and outdoor track that can compete with the Tekin.
Speeds are the same but the GM is harder to setup.
The BD was setup bij the owner. I only changed the gearing. Tested the BD and the Tekin with the same SPv3.0 13,5T motor.
Next week he comes and he has also a 17,5T SP motor. We are testing the BD than again. I will than also run with the LRP and GM.

I'm also going to use a novak thing so we can see the rpm range. I can try it from a clubmember. that's why I also try the GM and the Tekin.
What your saying is that you are not using ramp timming in the esc?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OVA
What your saying is that you are not using ramp timming in the esc?
Ramp timing? I don't now how you setup a BD. the owner set it up on it fast and I only had to find a good gearing.
I now how the Tekin, GM and the LRP works but not how the BD works.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Default BD vs the rest

Ive had my BD approx 1 year now and been in and out of love with it. For the first 6/9 months i had constant problems with receiver packs.
Ive now changed to booster that has a 7.4 out put and plugs on to pins 4 and 5 .I use futaba pins then shoo goo the connections and never had a problem.
The other major change is the point end adjustment on my tranny My futaba can only increase to 120 i was advised to go to 130/150.
This has made a dramatic change to the BD performance. I use the BD in 1/12th with a GM v3 10.5 and rollout of 57mm. My tekin is now history, nothing in my opinion compares to the smoothness of the BD , its easy of use and reliability.
Up dates are soon ,so watch this space.

The one down side in my opinion is in limited profile mode, against current Esc the BD cant hack it. At the IIC lat year i borrowed a tekin for a couple of practice runs in 17.5 and was 0.9 of sec a lap faster. Sadily i had to give it back for the meeting
Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

the difference between the fastest lap with the Tekin and the BD today at our track was 0,1 sec.
0,9 is a big gap.
The smoothness is great. that I must say but the Tekin with the V212 improved a lot.
I miss something with the BD. not only top speed.
I tried 4 runs with it of 20 laps each and some short tries with 2 or 3 laps and than got it off the track to change the gearing. When I thought that it was ok, Than I drove 20 laps.
my slowest 20 laps were only 0,3sec slower.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tellan
The other major change is the point end adjustment on my tranny My futaba can only increase to 120 i was advised to go to 130/150.
what gains did you see by changing the end points?

Originally Posted by tellan
Up dates are soon ,so watch this space.
GREAT... i just got it back.. now i have to send it off again! lol
Old 12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Ramp timing? I don't now how you setup a BD. the owner set it up on it fast and I only had to find a good gearing.
I now how the Tekin, GM and the LRP works but not how the BD works.

I thought you were comparing the BD to other esc with no timming ...
..I been told the BD doesn't have the top end speed compare the Tekin or others in the long straight away...The infield the BD should be quicker...
Old 12-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OVA
I thought you were comparing the BD to other esc with no timming ...
..I been told the BD doesn't have the top end speed compare the Tekin or others in the long straight away...The infield the BD should be quicker...
No I use advanced timing.
The infield is not quicker than the Tekin, LRP or GM.
It is smoother but not quicker. The top speed on a small track is enough but even on our small track a bit to slow. You must drive on the max to make it up in the infield.
With the 17,5 I'm afraid that the top speed will be to low ad our track to keep up with the other speedo's. it misses to much top speed.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Try a duo 2/3 motor. The 17.5 guys were finding lap times improve by about 0.3s/lap using the duo motors compared with the SPv3

You should find the top speed comparable with the SXX, slower than the tekin and HW, but the BD should have more rip out of the corners.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CraigM
Try a duo 2/3 motor. The 17.5 guys were finding lap times improve by about 0.3s/lap using the duo motors compared with the SPv3

You should find the top speed comparable with the SXX, slower than the tekin and HW, but the BD should have more rip out of the corners.
I tried a lot of gearings and it has not more rip out of the corners. it is smoother.
I think that it feels like it has more rip out of the corners.
I compared it and tried it with several gearings from heavy to light but I didn't get more rip than the other speedo's.

I have also a Tekin motor and as I use that one, than I am also faster than with the SPv3.0 motor.
I only tried to compare the speedo's with each other and than is the SP motor the easiest to change.
Don't have to solder each time plus almost all the drivers at my club has one.
also do you get the best comparison between the speedo's with one and the same motor and it doesn't matter witch one it is.
I run with the GM the same laptimes as with my Tekin. LRP is a bit slower but not much.

What do I wrong as I don't got the infield speed as what you all say that there is? must I gear lighter than the Tekin or heavier?
Lighter gave me the same as the Tekin and ad a moment it reached an infield speed and how lighter I went how lower the topspeed but I didn't get more infield speed.
Than I changed heavier and when I got the same top speed, I lost infield speed.
Gearing about the same as the Tekin gave the best result. 7.0 fdr.
I got the fastest laptimes with it.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

even though im new to the BD its hands down faster than my tekin (and i run on a small track)

sorry i run a pan car so no help from me.. but with BD and SP motors you have to gear up more

what are your temps? how big is your track?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.