Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The wheels are from RPM and the body is by HPI .
Old 02-12-2002, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Fire:

I run my other car with 2 ball diffs, I noticed the car is quicker if I run the front ball diff very loose and the rear ball diff tight to normal with good effect, especially if the car tries to break lthe rear loose at the end of a corner, it is easier to correct..... you either back off a little and then floor it (while still steering, or if there is a lot of grip, I can really lay the power down and straighten the steering and the car will just blast off a corner.... so I am now in the process of fitting a ball diff to the rear of my TA03..... Im sure it will work in similar way.... and I have read elsewhere there are people racing with the same set up.

Thanks to rowdyrj for the info....
Old 02-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Regional Moderator

I have both the TA03R and the TA03F DJ edition. I don't run them that much any longer but I have rebuilt my TA03R so that I can run it in a TCS race. I got this car about 2 years ago and ran it against the HPI's, and the IWC's and it held it's own. One thing that I know now that I didn't then is gearing. The intenatl gear ratio on that TA03R is around 2.48, I think (with the black gears). I use to use a 23-25T pinion so my gear ratio was always under 6.00, more like around 5.5. With my TC3 I'm at a 6.45 so now I know to gear my TA03R with a 19-18T pinion to be in that same range. I haven't ran this car in competition in some time but we'll be holding our Test&Tune day FEB 24th and I'm going to see how she does. It has quick acceleration but I want to see what it will do on the straight away with the other cars, TC3, XXX-s. Not too many people are running Tamiya cars at out track, that's a shame because I think Tamiya can compete with the other cars if they just keep up the work. I also got a TB01 and I thought they had something with this car. I would of like to see a Graphite Tub Chassis just like they did for the TA04. Also on that TB01 maybe an easier way to get the motor out as well. Oh well, just my wish list I guess.

Anyway, good to see a post about Tamiya's TA03's
Old 02-12-2002, 08:00 PM
Fit
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.
I'm running my 03 in mod class and speedwise not too bad compared to running it in 23turn stock class. At least in the mod it still can keep up in terms of speed with the other cars.

Still though I used a front one way and overdrived the front so that it is fwd on the straights to gain more speed. I tried full time 4wd but with my aging 3 yr old, 2000 stick packs it was no match for the other cars which are belts and running matched batts.

Perhaps with newer batts the car would fare better in the acceleration and speed department.
Have to see in the next race how it goes with new batts.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default What type of tires are you using

The type of tires that you use on the 03 will make a difference in it's handling. Iive used Pro-line sedan hawgs I know that the are old design, Pit Shumic tires 30F, 25R (sorry for the spelling) and Jaco rubber tires with good results. Here is something that you should look at when running the 03F DJ or any other 03 with the white .04 gears. The tire dia. will play key roll in your off the line and top end. If your tire dia. is greater 65mm in dia. your car will seem a little sluggish of the line. If try to keep your tire dia. in between 64mm-65mm you will find that the car has that snap that you are looking for.

These are the little things that I have found that helps me keep my 03 out in front of cars like HPI, Yokomo, and TC3's
Old 02-13-2002, 07:06 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: What type of tires are you using

Originally posted by rowdyrj
Here is something that you should look at when running the 03F DJ or any other 03 with the white .04 gears. The tire dia. will play key roll in your off the line and top end. If your tire dia. is greater 65mm in dia. your car will seem a little sluggish of the line. If try to keep your tire dia. in between 64mm-65mm you will find that the car has that snap that you are looking for.:
what about the black gears. Like I said in my post below, I'm going to run this car in a TCS race but I'm going to try this out in our Test&Tune this month. I failed to mention that my TA03R is the Tub chassis and I'll be running this in our Pro Stock race (24 degree 27T motors) GT2 for Tamiya. I usually run Tamiya super radila grip tires on my TA03R but I do have a set of Sorex 36R that I can try on it. I think what you mentioned above is correct, this is the second time I heard that, about the tires that is. Would it make any difference using the Black Gear on my 03R with the Sorex Tires?

Lots of good information here that I wish I had when I first came out with my 03R.

Good to hear your in front with your Tamiya car.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Psycho-I'll try to make it out this Sunday, if the weather holds up.

Rowdyrj-Great looking paint job, I just wish mine looked that nice. Is it easier to work with the HPI bodies then the Pro-line as far as aligning the wheel cut outs for the front and rear? Thanks for the tip regarding the tire dia. I'll need all the help i can get.

Fit-You are not alone running old batteries, I will be running 1700RC Matched packs, I'll be happy if I make run time.

Mike-Let us know how you do against the other TC's.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Regional Moderator

Dayten - I'll keep you guys posted. I might throw in my bigjimracing motor in my TA03R and see how it finishes.

more to come......
Old 02-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Check out my web site I have a lot of photo's of bodies that I have painted over the years.The Body Shop
Old 02-13-2002, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

This is how my 03 looks in race trim.
Attached Thumbnails Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!-03fdjv.jpg  
Old 02-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by rowdyrj
This is how my 03 looks in race trim.
Looks good rowdy
Old 02-13-2002, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by sonneteer
Fire:

I run my other car with 2 ball diffs, I noticed the car is quicker if I run the front ball diff very loose and the rear ball diff tight to normal with good effect, especially if the car tries to break lthe rear loose at the end of a corner, it is easier to correct..... you either back off a little and then floor it (while still steering, or if there is a lot of grip, I can really lay the power down and straighten the steering and the car will just blast off a corner.... so I am now in the process of fitting a ball diff to the rear of my TA03..... Im sure it will work in similar way.... and I have read elsewhere there are people racing with the same set up.

Thanks to rowdyrj for the info....
i'll try that out~~
my car needs more steering
Old 02-15-2002, 04:09 PM
Regional Moderator

don't let it fall to the bottom, keep the thread going
Old 02-15-2002, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Mike F
don't let it fall to the bottom, keep the thread going
i am waiting for the outdoor season to start~
gained back some steering response by took out all the down travel. waiting for a high speed servo now
Old 02-16-2002, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

I may race my 03 next weekend. The car has about 25 races under it's belt and it has won about 20 of them and thats straight up racing. By far the toughest car that's out there. Here is a helpful hint: To help keep your driving fast put a little bit of Lock tight on the drive cups that connect to the diff's it help keep them in place and you lesson the possibility of stripping the splines on the outdrives. I also replace the rear dog bone with tamiya front CVD that I had from my old TA02. The are the same size as the Front CVD's that come's with the 03F DJV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.