Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

what does it do by adding shims under the ball stud that is on the top of the rear hub carrier? I noticed tim has them?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Default Shock upgrade

I'm considering upgrading my shocks sometime soon on my TB03. Is there any real difference between these two besides color:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=42102

and

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXVBT5&P=K

Are these the best TRF shocks out there for the TB03?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by fat500
what does it do by adding shims under the ball stud that is on the top of the rear hub carrier? I noticed tim has them?
It gives you more camber gain. The more the suspension travels the more neg camber is obtained.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by bluesxman
I'm considering upgrading my shocks sometime soon on my TB03. Is there any real difference between these two besides color:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=42102

and

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXVBT5&P=K

Are these the best TRF shocks out there for the TB03?
These are the units I have on my TB:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53571

Go to tamiyausa.com and search for TB03. then select one of the race car kits and then click the hop up tab above the kit picture. There are 4 shock sets you can purchase. All are a great choice for your kit

53571's are a gun metal grey color. You also have all black, black with blue caps and the MR version which are all blue.

Jimmy W.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Timmie,

It sounds like you had a blast no matter.

Yes after receiving my carbon chassis this will solve a lot of suspension tuning issues. Not that the car is bad of course but it will help to be able to dial the suspension in that much better.

The chassis is only .9g lighter but is much stiffer!

I went through my TB the other night and set it up for our next race for RCGT in a couple of weeks which will be our spec rubber tires on carpet.

I'm getting closer to this thing becoming a "TB03R" as I've installed all of the carbon/plastic, titanium screw kit, aluminum balls, aluminum battery posts, I went to the aluminum out drives (which only add 1.6g ea diff) and the carbon tub that I modified so the 5000mah LiPos will sit flat in the chassis and stay put.(removed 1.5g by doing this) all in all from kit stock I've managed to take off 114g's!!! and I have more that I want to do. (Ti outter axles, carbon battery holdown, carbon rear shock tower, carbon bumper plate, Ti hinge pins, aluminum prop and gear shafts)

Right now race ready with my Calsonic R35 body I tip the scales at 1450g!

I'm looking at being under weight to allow me to add weight were I need/want it.
Yes it was good times and nice to run with the guys up there. TOP sponsored drivers, Xray, Losi etc. nice group of people and very fast drivers.

Oh yes the plastic tub owns on outdoor tracks Interested on how the carbon tub performs for you on carpet. I was running hara springs this weekend, but they would be pretty close to running tam blues in the front and yellows rear. Oh and a one way diff. Did you get the chance to test some bodies out this weekend by chance? And one more thing will you be at the TCS nats at the end of this month? Would be cool to meet you

Glad your getting the weight down on your car. I got mine down to 1460, still got to loose some somehow. Is grinding the chassis for better lipo fitment legal for TCS races?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

If anyone is interested in a nicely hopped up TCS legal TB03 drop me a PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
These are the units I have on my TB:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53571

Go to tamiyausa.com and search for TB03. then select one of the race car kits and then click the hop up tab above the kit picture. There are 4 shock sets you can purchase. All are a great choice for your kit

53571's are a gun metal grey color. You also have all black, black with blue caps and the MR version which are all blue.

Jimmy W.
I thought I read someone say in another thread that the fluorine coated shocks (53571) were older and not as good as the 42102. Any truth to that? My assumption is that they're just fine but I'm not up on my Tamiya product history.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Awesome run Timmie! I think the main was when your car looked the best. Your 2nd qualifier was not so good when I videoed it. Did you watch the videos yet? You could see the traction rolls. But going down on spring was the way to go with soo much traction. Can't wait to see what you can do with the carbon tub chassis. That plastic one had too much flex. I think with stiff springs, it transferred too much stress on the chassis. The softer springs put stress back on the suspension and let the car roll more instead of flip. You racing this weekend? Hope they finish the new drivers stand. See ya soon!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

I dont suppose those vids are online are they?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

How are you guys adjusting ride in the front? I am running trf dampers and standard size white springs. With the collars screwed all the way up i am only able to get to 7mm ft and 6mm rear. I think the car should be 4.5-5mm . am i correct? Running on High traction surface. Should I adjust the pushrods, buy the short spring set or screw the droop screws down to get the height? which is the proper way to set RHt on this beast Thanks, fat

Also,So putting shims under the rear outter ball stud gives me more camber change adding more rear traction?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Awesome run Timmie! I think the main was when your car looked the best. Your 2nd qualifier was not so good when I videoed it. Did you watch the videos yet? You could see the traction rolls. But going down on spring was the way to go with soo much traction. Can't wait to see what you can do with the carbon tub chassis. That plastic one had too much flex. I think with stiff springs, it transferred too much stress on the chassis. The softer springs put stress back on the suspension and let the car roll more instead of flip. You racing this weekend? Hope they finish the new drivers stand. See ya soon!
Thank you Yeah the car was pretty good in the main, still scary to drive though. Yeah you can see me fighting it in the videos....there are times when my car was only on two wheels going though the turns LOL! I showed L.Fairtrace the flex in my car and all he could say was, "damn...." LOL! Don't forget to order those bd5 graphite arms, we'll give them hell next round Yes racing this weekend, I have a more aggressive setup I want to try with the TB03
Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice! I'm parking my BD5 for a couple weeks until I get it rebuild with those graphite arms. In the mean time, I'm going back to my 415MRE with 416 suspension setup. I'll catch ya at the track!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bluesxman
I dont suppose those vids are online are they?
Not yet, takes forever to post them to youtube. I'll try to have something up mid week. I have to go out of state again but when I get back I will work on getting them up on the web.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fat500
How are you guys adjusting ride in the front? I am running trf dampers and standard size white springs. With the collars screwed all the way up i am only able to get to 7mm ft and 6mm rear. I think the car should be 4.5-5mm . am i correct? Running on High traction surface. Should I adjust the pushrods, buy the short spring set or screw the droop screws down to get the height? which is the proper way to set RHt on this beast Thanks, fat

Also,So putting shims under the rear outter ball stud gives me more camber change adding more rear traction?
I really don't know why you can't get the height low...how many mm long are your pushrods? Rocker arms on backwards? What is your total shock length? You don't want to fix the height with the droop screws because that will load your front springs. Double check how you built the car per the instruction manual. Something has to be out of whack. After you get it fixed, if you want to run short springs thats fine, but you need to fix the problem rather than work around it. What surface track you running on? For asphalt I usually run 5, 5.5mm ride height. I check my ride height by putting the car on a flat, level surface. Then I gently push the car down just a little and then check. Let us know whatcha got, I'm sure it can be figured out

Oh and yes, more shims under the rear outer ball stud will give you more rear traction. A basic way of looking at it, is that whatever end of the car has camber links that are angled more DOWN in the center of the car, that end will have more traction due to more camber gain. So lets say my car's steering felt a little too aggressive, I could add shims under the inner front link, this reducing camber gain traction in the front, will take away some traction in the front of the car, taking away some steering. If lets say my car had too much rear traction, I could take away the shims on the rear uprights, or add some to the inner link....but on the TB03 that requires you to take the rear shock tower off, so I just make my changes at the upright.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Timmie gonna assume you have seen this.

Rod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.