Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JLock
Do they make a touring car styled 1/8th scale bodies anymore? If so, why not run the 2wd 1/8th scale as a touring car class? That way, you can make a distinction between the 2wd and 4wd class just like it used to be in the discontinued 235mm class (2wd ran the touring car bodies and 4wd ran the lola bodies). Just a thought.

Juan
Juan Buddy, with all due respect, It will be a cold day in he... I run a sedan body on a 1/8 scale car of any kind!!!

Dale

PS Hope to see you at the "Gulf Coast Gran Prix" We will get you a pit Man!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by motojon
Why buy a new kit, cant there be a way to make a diff that will fit in the 4WD car already being made. Theoretically it would cost less for the manufactures
The idea here is to keep this a "Pan Car class". Simple, Stong and Cheap to produce. Why convert a 4wd suspension car when manufactures like Motonica already offer this car along with several other Manufactures in Europe that also offer these type of cars. The trick here is to get enough grass roots interest to convince our existing importers to bring these cars into the US.

Dale
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djmachinist
Juan Buddy, with all due respect, It will be a cold day in he... I run a sedan body on a 1/8 scale car of any kind!!!

Dale

PS Hope to see you at the "Gulf Coast Gran Prix" We will get you a pit Man!!!
At one time a few years back, there was a class in Europe (I think) that ran an 1/8th scale touring car. I know that they made bodies for them because there is a custom painted one at Indy RC in Garland hanging on their wall on display. But hey, it was just an idea. Why not be different or do something a bit different than the current running class? What fun would it be to run lola bodies on a 2wd with a 3-port (thinking on the spec class line)? I was just thinking outside the box a little.

As far as the Gulf Coast race, I will not be able to make it. I have to work that weekend. Got to make up the cash I had to spend on getting the Trailblazer fixed about 2 months ago (cost half an M note). Good luck to you and the other that will be able to run at the race.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

At one time a few years back, there was a class in Europe (I think) that ran an 1/8th scale touring car. I know that they made bodies for them because there is a custom painted one at Indy RC in Garland hanging on their wall on display. But hey, it was just an idea. Why not be different or do something a bit different than the current running class? What fun would it be to run lola bodies on a 2wd with a 3-port (thinking on the spec class line)? I was just thinking outside the box a little.

As far as the Gulf Coast race, I will not be able to make it. I have to work that weekend. Got to make up the cash I had to spend on getting the Trailblazer fixed about 2 months ago (cost half an M note). Good luck to you and the other that will be able to run at the race.
Sorry to here that Juan, you will be missed.
Dale
Old 10-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry to here that Juan, you will be missed.
Dale
I know, you will miss me being the lap traffic/back marker that I tend to be at times!!! Maybe I can make this race next year.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

I know, you will miss me being the lap traffic/back marker that I tend to be at times!!! Maybe I can make this race next year.
No, I will miss the show you put on when you try to pit yourself in the Main!!!! Take care buddy,

Dale
Old 10-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Do they make a touring car styled 1/8th scale bodies anymore? If so, why not run the 2wd 1/8th scale as a touring car class? That way, you can make a distinction between the 2wd and 4wd class just like it used to be in the discontinued 235mm class (2wd ran the touring car bodies and 4wd ran the lola bodies). Just a thought.

Juan
Yes I have the Z33 (350Z) it's a GT coupe, but at least it's not a Can Am (Lola) body.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The idea here is to keep this a "Pan Car class". Simple, Stong and Cheap to produce. Why convert a 4wd suspension car when manufactures like Motonica already offer this car along with several other Manufactures in Europe that also offer these type of cars. The trick here is to get enough grass roots interest to convince our existing importers to bring these cars into the US.

Dale
Im guessing though here in the US if i can just add a $50 part and run it on my original chassis great...... If the class doesnt take off then im out $50 with a small paper weight. If I spend $400+ and the class doesnt take off then i got a slightly bigger more expensive paper weight. Also simple goes only so far eventually we want more of this or more of that to get them to handle here in the US. Alot of our tracks arent smooth like oversees so a full suspension 2wd might be the only thing that will work here for example the old Vector....i believe $500 for 2wd $550 for 4wd if you got tired of one you could run the other and keep all the same stuff and use the left overs off of the 4wd people
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Yes I have the Z33 (350Z) it's a GT coupe, but at least it's not a Can Am (Lola) body.
Do you have a pic of it that you can post later? I am curious to see what it looks like.

I am one that would like the class to be different from the 4wd lola body class. I guess I am like that because of the 235mm class that I use to run before it was abandoned. I loved the 2wd class 235mm over the 4wd class because 2wd forced you to learned to setup your car and to become a better driver (learn throttle control). Plus, I like to be different every now and again and having touring car bodies (real ones, not made up ones or Mazdas and fake Stratuses) would put a distinction between 2wd and 4wd 1/8th scale classes. But, that is just my opinion.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Juan
WOW! You just brought back some not so fond flashbacks of my 2WD Thorp and RC300BD Pan Cars with
Greenwood Corvette, Lancia Stratos or Ligier-Matra GT Bodies! A huge difference in handling from the
Lola & Elfin CanAm bodies at the time. I remember 1 season in the very early 80's that they had a GT race
out at the Ranch Pit Stop in Pomona, CA & Outlaw RC in San Bernardino, CA every month. What a struggle!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by T-BODZ Terry B.
WOW! You just brought back some not so fond flashbacks of my 2WD Thorp and RC300BD Pan Cars with
Greenwood Corvette, Lancia Stratos or Ligier-Matra GT Bodies! A huge difference in handling from the
Lola & Elfin CanAm bodies at the time. I remember 1 season in the very early 80's that they had a GT race
out at the Ranch Pit Stop in Pomona, CA & Outlaw RC in San Bernardino, CA every month. What a struggle!
Sorry man, I did not know that it was bad with TC bodies on 1/8th scales back in the day. I know that 235mm 2wd cars handled pretty well with TC bodies. But with today's technology, wouldn't it be different now that the cars are designed and built better? Again, I am just throwing an idea out there to see what the interest is.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

I too remember the days of GT bodies on my MARKER MACHINE and DELTA Super J ( still own both and they still run ) and I would have to agree they weren't great fun , but my god they looked COOL !
Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1/8 oldschool
I too remember the days of GT bodies on my MARKER MACHINE and DELTA Super J ( still own both and they still run ) and I would have to agree they weren't great fun , but my god they looked COOL !
I actually have a ton of old vintage 1/8 cars left over. My Father sent me several
large boxes of stuff from California 4 years ago. It was all sitting in our storage
unit. Off the top of my head I still have the following cars:

1 RC200 Built / Run
1 RC250 Built / Run
2 RC300 Ball Diff Cars Built / Brand New Never Run with New K&B's each.
3 RC500 2WD Built / Run
2 RC500 2WD Built / Brand New Never Run
1 RC500 2WD Unbuilt / New in Box
The rest are RC500 4WD, 4WD Conversion Kits and a Ton Of Parts, Pipes, Carbs, etc...

I'll take a few snap shots later and post'em. I even have 1 with a Greenwood
body and another with a Nissan GTP. I love the old vintage stuff .. cool to look
at and appreciate how much the hobby has evolved.

Take care!

Terry
Old 10-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

I actually have a ton of old vintage 1/8 cars left over. My Father sent me several
large boxes of stuff from California 4 years ago. It was all sitting in our storage
unit. Off the top of my head I still have the following cars:

1 RC200 Built / Run
1 RC250 Built / Run
2 RC300 Ball Diff Cars Built / Brand New Never Run with New K&B's each.
3 RC500 2WD Built / Run
2 RC500 2WD Built / Brand New Never Run
1 RC500 2WD Unbuilt / New in Box
The rest are RC500 4WD, 4WD Conversion Kits and a Ton Of Parts, Pipes, Carbs, etc...

I'll take a few snap shots later and post'em. I even have 1 with a Greenwood
body and another with a Nissan GTP. I love the old vintage stuff .. cool to look
at and appreciate how much the hobby has evolved.

Take care!

Terry
Terry,

This is not "YOUR FATHER'S OLDSMOBILE" eh......Associated RC-300! These are much better than the old Pan cars. I also still have some of my pan car stuff from "In the day". I have a new in-box Delta Super J. I did run an occasional Greenwood Vette GT body, also Kansas City used to have an annual fall Indy/Formula I body race on the old pan cars which was great fun,
but we never ran a sedan body! The GT cars handled bad enough when compared to a can-am body.

See you at the Gulf Coast Grand Prix,

Dale

See you at the Gulf Coast Grandprix,
Old 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think it would be mistake to run them without lola style bodies.

It is the same problem igt cars have..handle like box of rocks.

Why install bodies that will make the car hadle worse? Especially for a newbie and again they look like cars in open class. Same reason they never run gt bodies on 1/12...they dont work and 2wd pancar is just a giant nitro 1/12.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.