Search
Like Tree1Likes

T.O.P. PHOTON EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Anyone try the TOP velcro strap yet? I do so very much hate tape.
Work in Photon EX , after T.O.P will update how to use !
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bishop
Ok, I reached the point of the bulk of car done, following the manual so up to doing the shocks...

Some things worth noting, screws not as horrible as my original kit, but still not great, new rear diff is a little strange, the oring means it's hard to 'feel' when the case is done up tight, you have to torque the case down what feels like very tight to stop the screw holes leaking, and the outdrive orings do seem to leak regardless what you do, maybe cause of the missing shims?

The real weird is when I reached building the shocks, I can't believe they still come with about .2-.3mm play from the piston on the shafts, it's seems so odd to not include some shims, old issue, no fix within a brand new kit/model?

Mixed general feel about the kit quality overall, it reminds me so much of the original kit, much of the quality is outstanding (including quality of material), but you hit a few problem areas that seem a strange let down among that.

Oh and the steering hubs have very little play, no shimming seems required there anymore (but new rack has a fair bit of play in it), I got a slightly wonky spur pulley that won't run true in my kit, and a camber link rod that is threaded the reverse to how it's marked!, but overall it's got some nice features and touched on the new kit.

Likely I'll order a few little bits to cleanly finish the build, or borrow some bits off the old car.
for Steering:
remove countersunk screw on bridge, put normal M3 screw, a little play reduced very much! and I change countersunk and countersunk shim on steering post, with 0.5 shim + normal M3 screw, try it...

for diff use Black Grease siliconinic, or ball diff grease on o-ring no problem with all my diff gear, but sunday try EX gear diff...
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
- Kyosho Grooved o-ring found here
A friend of mine that has raced before on this layout commented that it lacked steering on high speed when entering the straight going upwards. He had to brake or leave throttle momentary to turn. He also said infield was perfect. I wanted to test 344 and didn't have that stiff xray spring with me, never run stiffer than 3.0!!

Can you elaborate how the shock o-ring affect the shocks and why you chose kyosho? ie there are 3 hara o-rings 2 top etc
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Shop Owner

Oh, I noticed that there is a gap on suspension arms, should I put shims to reduce that gap?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Tech Addict

Yes use extra shims to remove the slop on the arms
Old 05-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Anyone try the TOP velcro strap yet? I do so very much hate tape.
Use an extra 2mm shimm ontop of the kit shimms, open the slots a little with a dremmel/file to fit the velcro strap better then clamp the looped end of the strap between the shimms and the retainer.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Those kyosho orings swell less, thus requiring far less replacement then the Top orings. Weve been running them for a few months now, and they hold up well but u still must verify everything is smooth/drag free for ultimate performance and consistency.

Last edited by hanulec; 05-01-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My Photon EX:

I'm really really happy with the car. First day out I've already broken my personal record after I got second on the nationals of last week at my local track. I think this car is great. Only need to work out the Ackermann. It's now slightly binding the front suspension holders.

Regards Robert
Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Shop Owner

My car after the race.

On this picture I tried to use different way to hold the battery with anything I could find

I used a stand of my 1/12 and one carbon piece again from the 1/12 and a servo horn!!

Will post more pictures with better (and prettier) support of the battery, the ones on second photo
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. PHOTON EX-img_0894.jpg   T.O.P. PHOTON EX-1335762588rixu663.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robert_K
My Photon EX:

I'm really really happy with the car. First day out I've already broken my personal record after I got second on the nationals of last week at my local track. I think this car is great. Only need to work out the Ackermann. It's now slightly binding the front suspension holders.

Regards Robert
Nice !!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

That just begs for an original series batmobile shell, Robert

Nice job. Looks slick
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mazmo
Just weighed my EX.

1430 grams race ready (rubber tyres).
Well above our max race weight 1380 grams

I have all alloy options installed and yeah racing twin fan.
Using regular weight LTC-R protoform body.

Anyone else 'over weight'?
I'm at around 1380 with regular body, no heatsink and 40mm roche fan. Gens ace 5000 40c pack (295g), Speedpassion MMM 17.5 (163g), hobbywing 120a, low profile servo (45g), micro receiver (5g), transponder (5g)

Installed aluminium tie rods (-5g)
No other aluminium options. The aluminium pulley adds around 5g (might be 10 cant remember) so I would expect each aluminium hub to add about the same. So with all alluminium options potentially 25g heavier....
Food for thought.

I love the new battery retainers... Very handy.

My geardiff leaked when I initially built it... Within a day there was oil leaking from the outdrive. I pulled it all apart and lubed the o rings with some thick sticky HPI grease (Its green, it came with a HPI pro4) and that has stopped the leak.

Other then that, I had to take material away from the RHS servo mount to clear the belt.
The slop inboard on the front arms is annoying but easy fix.

Overall, pretty happy with the car. Small mods to be made over time (ie shimming the steering rack) but its nice and the new layout is much easier to work with. In particular I like the easy to remove spur adaptor.

Track time will tell though

Phill
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Shop Owner

Measured my EX

1020 no battery, body
106 body (pf standard mazdaspeed6)
300 battery

Electronis are Futaba BLS551 servo, KoPropo KR-411FH, SP GT2.0 Prostock Red (Tresrey), SP V3 5.5T, SP heatsink (put that in order to have even weight left-right), Tamiya black shiny screws.
Also I had on some posts and some silly carbon and servo horn to secure the battery. Will change them with the ones in second picture

total 1424
(I know if you add them it gives 1426 but I put everything on and measured it total was 1424. I guess it's because of scale accuracy)

I'm planning to change the layout. Will move the esc more forward and install a fan blowing the motor
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. PHOTON EX-1.jpg   T.O.P. PHOTON EX-2.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default Velco Tips

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. PHOTON EX-1s.jpg   T.O.P. PHOTON EX-2s.jpg   T.O.P. PHOTON EX-3s.jpg   T.O.P. PHOTON EX-4s.jpg   T.O.P. PHOTON EX-5s.jpg  

Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default Velco Tips 2

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. PHOTON EX-6s.jpg   T.O.P. PHOTON EX-7s.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.