Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Just picked up my "USA" Top Photon kit from WCRC and in the process of building it. Very impressed with the quality of the fit and finish!! Simple style of car--shocks seem very nice with a lot of variability to the build with different setups to the piston. The chassis is very narrow with all components close to the center line--per all the new move to the middle for touring cars. Building it for WCRC per Ron Schuur's setup--- he'll be helping me next Tuesday night get the car working.
Looking forward to sorting out a new toy.
T
Old 10-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

They sell it at wcrc? How much was it? Do they stock parts?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just assembled a photon last week, nice car to build, now I just want to lower the internal resistance of the car as it runs tightly in transmission, is there somethings you guys do too losen the transmission?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MartinBasse
I just assembled a photon last week, nice car to build, now I just want to lower the internal resistance of the car as it runs tightly in transmission, is there somethings you guys do too losen the transmission?
Make sure that the bearing cams on your diffs are seated properly or they will cause the drivetrain to bind. The bearings in the center layshaft also need to be fully seated. Pop the belts off and make sure that each assembly spins freely. Another issue could be a set screw tightened too far into the c-hub or rear upright that will wear on the axle. If all those are good then just run the car and let it wear in naturally. My drivetrain is butter.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Make sure that the bearing cams on your diffs are seated properly or they will cause the drivetrain to bind. The bearings in the center layshaft also need to be fully seated. Pop the belts off and make sure that each assembly spins freely. Another issue could be a set screw tightened too far into the c-hub or rear upright that will wear on the axle. If all those are good then just run the car and let it wear in naturally. My drivetrain is butter.
Itīs the bearings on the spool there is causing it but i canīt figure it out, it spins freely then not in the car but when i place it in the bulkheads it runs tightly if i place a gear diff in the front no trouble itīs only the spool any idea?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One of the belts sits a little tight new, I forget which one now, also you can get some binding on the spur shaft thing, it's got shims for the old version but comes with a new steel one (and it's a little different), so if you build it like the manual says that will bind a little, re-shim that and back off any belt which is too tight, and you should be golden.

It's just tiny little bits that cause a little grief on the Photon build, mainly shims etc and lack of them at times, mine is slop free and rolls free after early tweaks and now a few runs, built like a tank as well, hit another car at full tilt back straight last meet, my bumper is kind of trashed but could not find a single thing broken on the car, and I'm 'still' using alloy front shafts and plastic spool ends!.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

Itīs the bearings on the spool there is causing it but i canīt figure it out, it spins freely then not in the car but when i place it in the bulkheads it runs tightly if i place a gear diff in the front no trouble itīs only the spool any idea?
Are you using the steel outdrives or the plastic? I have noticed that if you try to overtighten the steel outdrives, it causes the spool to baloon and puts undue pressure on the bearing. Loosen them up a little and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then just make sure that they are snug enough to operate effectively but not bind the drivetrain.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Are you using the steel outdrives or the plastic? I have noticed that if you try to overtighten the steel outdrives, it causes the spool to baloon and puts undue pressure on the bearing. Loosen them up a little and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then just make sure that they are snug enough to operate effectively but not bind the drivetrain.
I have tried both but will try plastic again

thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Steel Outdrives bester
Old 10-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

are you using the shims they give you for the bearing cups. If you are take them out and put the spool in the bulkheads then push it from side to side so there's a touch of play.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
We came out with an optional steel shaft which now comes standard with the kit.

TC-PDT005BK Centre Pulley Shaft (Black)

The problem with the aluminum one is that it mushrooms when the screws are tightened and the bearings won't come out.

Shoot us en a email [email protected] and we'll work something out.

Thanks,

EJ
Sent you an e-mail.

How do you guys do ti to achieve ZERO or 1mm rebound on your shocks?

Why is everybody using the stiff lipo chassis instead of the standard? I'm ready to get me one just want to know the big difference.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cheehtae
Sent you an e-mail.

How do you guys do ti to achieve ZERO or 1mm rebound on your shocks?

Why is everybody using the stiff lipo chassis instead of the standard? I'm ready to get me one just want to know the big difference.
First question. I drilled a hole in the shock cap to let the pressure out between the bladder and cap. (Thanks Larry Fairtrace)

Second. The stiff chassis is standard in the kits. The "Standard" chassis is actually the moderate optional chassis. The moderate chassis definitely flexes more, but it is made from a lower grade carbon fiber and MAY hold a tweak.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

First question. I drilled a hole in the shock cap to let the pressure out between the bladder and cap. (Thanks Larry Fairtrace)

Second. The stiff chassis is standard in the kits. The "Standard" chassis is actually the moderate optional chassis. The moderate chassis definitely flexes more, but it is made from a lower grade carbon fiber and MAY hold a tweak.
Ok, tnx stiff it is then. Another one, for the medium top deck, can you just cut the front and rear portion to achieve more flex? instead of buying the soft er flex top deck.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cheehtae
Ok, tnx stiff it is then. Another one, for the medium top deck, can you just cut the front and rear portion to achieve more flex? instead of buying the soft er flex top deck.
I'm not positive of the difference in thickness between the soft and medium topdecks. However, YES, you can modify the medium deck to add more flex.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
Steel Outdrives bester
You really are useless, stick with to the new product updates, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.