Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tudor39
Are you running 64 pitch gears? Sounds like you're running 48 pitch but they're are certainly larger 64 pitch pinion gears available. Amain sells a Robinson racing aluminum pro 47 tooth rrp1347
I'm running 48p. I worry about running 64p on an outdoor track that can get pretty dirty/gritty.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

R2 & S2 back in stock at RC Mart :-

http://www.rcmart.com/spec-sprr2tc-e...cPath=420_1581

Is there going to be a new car ?
Old 12-31-2015, 01:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 32819toon
R2 & S2 back in stock at RC Mart :-

http://www.rcmart.com/spec-sprr2tc-e...cPath=420_1581

Is there going to be a new car ?
Specr is busy with a r3 but no more info about that car.think next year the r3 is coming out.first a mini touring coming in January
Old 01-05-2016, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

a little dead around here so i thought id do the project i originally wanted before i got an r2 ha.

blake is loaning me his s2 to run at wcics5 for a second tc, but it was so heavy... and flexy.. so i made a 2mm aluminum chassis for it. stiffer but not super stiff and much lighter than fiberglass.
I had thought to make new alumium upper peices to replace all the fiberglass, but time ran out. so ill just get the ID cf parts sometime.

s2 has its advantages. the plastic parts are actually lighter than the aluminum ones in the r1 and all the parts that people complain about breaking are the same as the r1/2 so durability isn't really a concern in comparison.

I dont really have interest in marketing something like this, unless like 100 people wanted it. i cut it on a stratos pro cnc router and it was a bit of a challenge, but i imagine with a proper coolant mist and proper high speed cutters for aluminum, would be no problem making more.

all cleaned up with a dremel. incorrect tools makes for not nice edges. fixed.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

[QUOTE=valk;14336205]a little dead around here so i thought id do the project i originally wanted before i got an r2 ha.

blake is loaning me his s2 to run at wcics5 for a second tc, but it was so heavy... and flexy.. so i made a 2mm aluminum chassis for it. stiffer but not super stiff and much lighter than fiberglass.
I had thought to make new alumium upper peices to replace all the fiberglass, but time ran out. so ill just get the ID cf parts sometime.

s2 has its advantages. the plastic parts are actually lighter than the aluminum ones in the r1 and all the parts that people complain about breaking are the same as the r1/2 so durability isn't really a concern in comparison.

I dont really have interest in marketing something like this, unless like 100 people wanted it. i cut it on a stratos pro cnc router and it was a bit of a challenge, but i imagine with a proper coolant mist and proper high speed cutters for aluminum, would be no problem making more.

all cleaned up with a dremel. incorrect tools makes for not nice edges. fixed.

QUOTE]

What you use for endmill and to countersink it? What aluminum is that? 6061/6062/7075

Came out good - curious to see how it works for ya.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

It's some 6061 from a lian li case I wasnt gonna use again.
Used a 0.25" 2 flute upcut carbide tool commonly used to dado cutting Mdf at 20000 rpm.
Getting the rates right was a challenge. Killed on tool cutting too slow. Did a little more research and just ended up cutting 20k/100ipm 5 passes.
Next time I'll need a more appropriate tool and a mist coolant supply. Just this with airblast.

Counter sinks were a 2.5" 45* bevel tool with two blades. That went much better as I just made it a drill operation following a 1/8 cutter.

Trying to do it with wood tools not ideal but it's a 6x12ft industrial router. Certainly has the grunt to cut the stuff.

Chassis is 1.8 mm. Pretty flexible but much lighter than fibreglass. Prob much closer to minimum weight. Was 1450 before ha.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Dang that's a good size machine to have handy.

Don't know if this will help but I use this at times to find feeds and speeds for different things.
http://zero-divide.net/index.php?page=fswizard

And brush this on for small work
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/62001284

Nice job though with what ya had ...... even the oops countersink hole

Thinking of revising my R1 and fumbling between either cutting a new cf chassis or trying an aluminum one. Havent driven the car in over a year and its always been such an easy car for me.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

I'm Getting the holes was a bit of a challenge. Finding them I had to put an s2 basis in an offset zero jig made of Mdf set in 6". Then I moved the machine to each hole and stuck a 5/64 drill upside down in, walked to the machine and write the absolute values down heh.
Came out accurate to 1/10 mm anything I the same axis was accurate when all I had to change was the alt axis etc.

Figuring out how to do it all in alphacam with a solid works model was tricky. Ended up using the machine holes function and just having the big ass 45 bit come down as a drill.
Holes are a little big as the smallest tool I had was 1/8 but I guess with the machine holes function I could have stuck a drill bit in just as easily. Holes weren't a problem in the end, cutter choice was. I prob could have cleaned the outside edge better by chamfering it but that would have wore the $100 45 tool out lol.

For a first time not bad result. I know now it's possible on a stratos pro, it's just a matter of having the right end mill and getting the mister setup. I didn't rig one up as I didn't want to contaminate the vacuum table and spoil board for future wood cuts that I have to finish lol. Oil makes finishing not fun on wood.

So. I'll investigate tooling. But expect more Shyte from me. Spec r platform makes making mod custom cars easy and very cheap. There is no way I could make any of the metal parts for less money. So I'll start with spec r suspension and transmission bulkheads, and move the stuff around.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Ps I could send you the a dxf. Though I'll have to edit the front a little as it didn't fit the bumper. Had to trim the bumper lol
Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by valk
Ps I could send you the a dxf. Though I'll have to edit the front a little as it didn't fit the bumper. Had to trim the bumper lol
that'd be cool - thanks

[email protected] is a good email for me.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

One thingiwouldnt mind doing actually is making a chassis plate that can use the r1/s2 transmission but the r3 motor mount.. Or the option for both. I'll look into it
Old 01-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is anyone interested in a lightly used S1 with spare parts? 17.5T only. Three-five runs in my culdesac.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

Initial results tonight are pretty positive. Car is snappy and consistent but I'll have to keep it off the boards. The thinner metal can be tweaked and requires adjustment after crashes.

Car is fast. I have confidence.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm getting a little bummed that I ended up with some of the spec r cars. I now have an r1, r2 and s2. I can't say I'm unhappy with the quality or parts or even availability for the most part but didn't appear that there's much interest in them since this thread is pretty much dead. I can't imagine that they will introduce a new car without much of a following in their previous cars from what I can see. I like having an unusual car but for someone that isn't really into tuning or have a whole lot of time to get to the track to race or even practice there's no help in that department from any of the locals for setup advice. I'll just have to check setups I can find online. With the lack of posts here, I can hardly hope for a whole lot of future input here as well

Last edited by tudor39; 03-27-2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-27-2016, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tudor39
I'm getting a little bummed that I ended up with some of the spec r cars. I now have an r1, r2 and s2. I can't say I'm unhappy with the quality or parts or even availability for the most part but didn't appear that there's much interest in them since this thread is pretty much dead. I can't imagine that they will introduce a new car without much of a following in their previous cars from what I can see. I like having an unusual car but for someone that isn't really into tuning or have a whole lot of time to get to the track to race or even practice there's no help in that department from any of the locals for setup advice. I'll just have to check setups I can find online. With the lack of posts here, I can hardly hope for a whole lot of future input here as well
I have an r1 that I run, I used a baseline t4 setup for medium grip asphalt to start, I also had a t4.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.