Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmpf.

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
It was a fun filled year for myself running the P8Cs. Thank-you Garen and Motonica for putting the right tools out there for us. Pans aren't for everyone, but everyone who runs one enjoys it!
LETS RACE SOME MORE!! (next year)
Thanks to all the 4wd guys that walked up and handed us good tires, RC racers have class no matter what class they run!
Bah humbug....humbug, I tell ya. Florida is sounding better all the time. I've heard that old line about "too much of a good thing" but that can't possibly apply to racing small plastic vehicles that break in new and interesting ways.

We've got some work to do in the shop, playing catch-up from all the stuff that didn't get done while off playing...then we begin building in earnest. I still like the idea of incorporating oil slicks and smoke screens, but since I've received no positive input on that, I guess I'll leave it be. Still plan to use those prong-thingys like in Ben Hur, tho....

Kudos to Motonica. I'm (partially) taking Lon's advice and focusing more on one car than the other next year. Dave has come along VERY nicely so he can keep the Edam thing going on the track. I'll still be running one occasionally myself, and I'm fully invested in selling the things and providing parts support, but I'm focusing mostly on pan racing next year. I think we're at the cutting edge of bringing back the good stuff. It may take awhile, given the number of classes and sizes and what not of everything else availible out there, but I think we have a full monopoly on simple/durable/fun. We've got the plan for the newbie, for the modeller, or someone who just wants to run laps without working incessantly to eke every last molecule of performance out of a car. When I go to the Winternats next year, I'll be pushing the idea of pan to everyone else, and hopefully the car will look good and give people a few thoughts on the matter.

And Lon...well done and many thanx for your time and investment in bringing back some of the fun. I figure you've carried most of the load, putting three cars on the track yourself, and if it takes off, you'll certainly have earned the lions share of the credit.

In the off season, I'd hope everyone on here would take time to talk to a friend or relative, show them your stuff, and try to get them interested in our hobby. I will be running a new pan next year, but I will bring at least one Super J and will make it availible for ANYONE to drive, no matter how new they are to what we do, or even if they've never done it at all. Sort of like sales maybe, if you get the product in the customers hands, it'll sell itself.

Beyond that, I'll be placing an order to Edam next month. Anyone wanting to buy a car or wanting parts (yes Matt, got your list and I'll work on it) for their own version of a pan build, let me know what you need and I'll get it done. Edam is sending me a fully updated price list so I can give better quotes. That said, anyone wanting to build their own pan similar to what me or Matt is doing could certainly use any stuff, be it Serpent, Mugen, etc. Sometimes one size does fit all....
Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It was a fun filled year for myself running the P8Cs. Thank-you Garen and Motonica for putting the right tools out there for us. Pans aren't for everyone, but everyone who runs one enjoys it!
Thanks to all the 4wd guys that walked up and handed us good tires, RC racers have class no matter what class they run!
i agree 100000% those simple fun cars can teach you so much. will be interesting too see if the youngsters come back with you next year.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5italkart
i agree 100000% those simple fun cars can teach you so much. will be interesting too see if the youngsters come back with you next year.
Yup. Got a parts list into Garen for a rebuild. gotta be ready for the spring, when hopefully my schedule will open up for some fun. My simple, fun car needs to teach me to stay off the freakin boards, so after I pay the Lonmaster back the parts he passed me to keep me running, I don't need to borrow any of them back!

Still have an itch for 4wd though...
Old 10-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default Hung on, Help is on its way!

Farmer,
Simple plan to help simple fun car learn you not to hit boards. Place 1, 3foot long 2x4 in the bathroom, after you are done brushing your teeth, use 2x4 to smack yourself in face. At some point you will figure out to stay away from boards! GREAT PLAN, yes? Anything else I can help you with?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

Default Wow

Farmer,
Simple plan to help simple fun car learn you not to hit boards. Place 1, 3foot long 2x4 in the bathroom, after you are done brushing your teeth, use 2x4 to smack yourself in face. At some point you will figure out to stay away from boards! GREAT PLAN, yes? Anything else I can help you with?
That sounds way better than my idea to wrap the car in bubble wrap. Aerodynamic...maybe not....harder to refuel?....possibly....
Old 10-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Farmer,
Sounds like a plan!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Sounds like a plan!
had a great time with you guys all summer, sunday seems lost now!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

Default Looking Forward

I too enjoyed everyone and the racing too. Looking forward to seeing what Matt and Phil come up with. Ned sent me some cool bodies, will they work? Don't know but looking forward to trying. Not sure what to do with F1 body, any thoughts?
P.S. Farmer, Don't really do that plan, I was just messing with you!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

I too enjoyed everyone and the racing too. Looking forward to seeing what Matt and Phil come up with. Ned sent me some cool bodies, will they work? Don't know but looking forward to trying. Not sure what to do with F1 body, any thoughts?
What does the F1 body look like?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Phil,
Not to different then the open wheel body you had on your "Super J". Or the one Tuttle had on his MRP. It can be made to fit on Motonica, but why bother?
If we can get 3 guys to run open wheels, I'll put one together too!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

I have a vintage Parma March F1 body that is uncut.........F1 class would be cool next year also.........open wheel=FLIPS..........
Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

The traction and handling for the SuperJ at the Cincy track was incredible running an Indy body. It has the advantage also of making refueling, starting...a bunch of things much easier, and overheating is practically unheard of. I loved running this thing back in the days of superstock racing. I'll have one mocked up for next year, I say we run them side by side with can-am bodies, unless they show an unfair advantage. Question is, do we have an adequate suppy of the things for everyone if they wanted one?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Addict

Default Help

I know this isn't the right place to post such a thing but I don't know how to get the word out as quickly or thoroughly otherwise so bear with, I'll keep it short and if anyone can help, send me a pm or email afterwards please, and thanx for your patience.

Awhile back, Tom and I invented a thing that retrofits onto any vehicle and improves mileage by 25-30 percent. We built it in the shop, might have 30 bucks in the original build and took a few hours to construct...so simple even a caveman like me can build it.

I don't know diddly about the patent process for the most part and have no desire to learn. I'd rather punt this off to some existing company familiar with the process of patent/manufacture/sales.

If anyone knows of a company or individual that could run with this ball, I'd sure appreciate an intro. I did actually try telling a congressman or two about it earlier in the year (the guys who say they are interested in fuel economy but clearly aren't) with zero success.

Thanx all.....
Old 10-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
The traction and handling for the SuperJ at the Cincy track was incredible running an Indy body. It has the advantage also of making refueling, starting...a bunch of things much easier, and overheating is practically unheard of. I loved running this thing back in the days of superstock racing. I'll have one mocked up for next year, I say we run them side by side with can-am bodies, unless they show an unfair advantage. Question is, do we have an adequate suppy of the things for everyone if they wanted one?
hey Schmaltz..........who was the guy on Ebay that was selling the Parma F1 repops????...............this guy may have a market......
Old 10-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

I am going to order up a set of rubber tires, just to see what they'll do. Maybe they won't be so hot on a 4wd, I really don't know...but thinking about it, I can't see why they wouldn't work on a pan. The two big questions of course is traction and length of wear....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.