Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carbuncle
...You guys need to update your car. Its fast as anything else but it dosen't let you get at the diffs easy...
Its not as hard as you make it out to me...but I agree. Lets just say keep your eyes open
Old 09-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by VoneS3Kid
Looks like a good car, not much detail but im sponsored by associated so im willing to give it a shot, u never know, you might have xray looking up to you
I dont think anything on the market will beat the new JRXS R though
The jury is still out on both of them, if anything it will be a race of bottom of the food chain.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GK
Is this the new AE car or what am I looking at?
http://www.rc50.com/modules/coppermi...6/PICT2971.JPG
.....I want one, Now!....drool..

AE please throw this dog a bone, release date, month or year?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not famling but...

Why? Exactly what does lowering the top deck do? The top deck on most cars weigh less than 7g (1/4 oz) so don't tell me it lowers the CG of the car. Lowering the motor 1mm has a bigger effect on the CG of the car than than lowering the top deck 10mm...or even taking the top deck off .

Structurally low top decks are less stiff and require thicker, heavier, more expensive chasis to get the stiffness back. Ever wonder why the Corally guys run a 4mm chassis on foam tires...now you know. Ever wonder why an Xray FK 05 with 2.5mm chassis is stiffer than an RDX? The FK 05 had a high top deck.

Low top decks also limit height of the layshaft and the size spur you can run. A Cyclone can run a 110 max, a T2 118 max, an RDX 118, 415MSX 108, etc. Brushless motors are getting more popular and require much lower gear ratios than brush motors. On small tracks you need to run in the 12 to 10:1 range. 10:1 is about the best you can do in any of the above cars. To get close to 11:1 you have to break out a Dremel too ...12:1 forget it.

Low top decks are all about fashion not engineering. I applaude AE for designing a race car not a blinged out bench queen.

One last point...how many times has Barry and his new low top deck mee too car finished ahead of Rick Hohwart and his AE proto (Which I heard is Barry's old car) ...the score is Rick 3, Barry 0.
Carbuncle,

Thanks for the insight on the cars very interesting. I am sure the AE car will be sweet when it comes out.

Later
Kevin Boyle
Old 09-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

hmmmmm
"I know it, i'm just trying to keep the thread from getting too heavy, there is enough of that. Hard to type in a sense of humor, chuckle, etc. though".

Carbuncle, excellent points! Most intraweb forum cruisers don't have that much insight. Usually more like Waaaaaaaaaaa, pacifier.......zzzzzzzzzzz. LOL

But with all those explanations and technical info we might get the need for some bling envy, like on the TV! They seem to avoid technical info, but show alot of shiny stuff and expensive electronics and we all go, "ooooooooohhhhhhhhh, shiny, Loud, me like"!

Come to think of it, with a few good drivers we could sell alot of shiny cars! Most of us don't have any idea why or how they work, we buy based on how some other driver does with it and how it looks.
I guess we all can't be engineers, but i'm lucky enough to hang out with a few and learn some stuff by mistake, LOL!

I'll get a TC5 when it is released! I want to see how "I" do with it, not how someone else does with one. I know it will be priced right and parts will be available!

. Jim
Old 09-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The biggest surprise in this whole thread is that a lot of XRay guys buy cars purely based on how they look. No, really, look at me being shocked.

Dude, your posts crack me up... your sarcasm lays thick and scalds like hot asphalt...
Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Default Information

Hey guys, things are going pretty well at the IIC. Juho has been super fast and consistent in rubber tires and Craig and Rick are only a few seconds behind him. In foam tires, we are still working on the setups. This is the first time the top guys have had a chance to run the car on carpet, so the learning curve is steep.

Release date -> Like I've said before, I hesitate to give any information on when to expect the car in shops, but things are progressing on schedule. From what I've been told, the car should be conservatively available by the middle of 2007....very conservatively!

One thing to keep in mind is that this car is 99% new...hardly any parts are shared from other kits (unlike the T2 007'). The T2 was a completely new car that probably took X-Ray at least a year to go from the final drawings to the shelf. In the mean time, they used the T1 FK'04 plastic parts to create the FK'05. It's "easy" to update routed carbon fiber and bulkheads, it's not so easy or inexpensive to update molds. I haven't seen any pics of the 007, but I'm pretty sure it's just a new chassis and bulkheads.

The cars we race at the Reedy Race were completed just days before the event and were 99% prototype...that was less than 4 months ago! I'm sure most of you agree that we need to run a prototype for at least a few races before settling on a final design.

Trust me, it's difficult to sit here and read all these posts about how we aren't giving out any information, any pictures, etc. We are trying to avoid any misconceptions that may be formed by this information. Things I can confirm are:

1) Yes, the spur gear will be "high". Like Carbuncle said, it creates a stiffer platform and allows for a wider range of gear ratios from stock to 19-turn to brushless.

2) Yes, the arms will be attached like the X-Ray. This is the most simple and effective way. If that makes it look like a "clone", then so be it.

3) Yes, there will be parts available throughout the World at normal Associated pricing.

I hope this satisfies some of the curiosity and questions. I look forward to working with the team and customers in developing our next generation touring car.

...And yes, I do work for Associated!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey Brent, Thanks for that honest and sincere post. It's great you are acessable on forums like this to answer questions, even if we don't want to hear some of the answers (due mid 2007 - oh man!)

Looking forward to picking up the new car when comes available, sooner the better

Last edited by mintygreen; 09-22-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi All,

good news Brent and im happy about, that AE brings a Car out for everyone (Stock-Modified) but dont forget the Guys here in Europe, we like a Chassie that have a little bit more Flex, so i think AE work on a system that alow us to make the Chassie harder or more Flex.

The little thing with the Top Deck is great and good for the Ratio, thats right.

I Hope also AE work on a Design that allow us to make a Fast Service on the Diffs, like a T2.

So Brent, Work harder on it and bring this Car in the Shops in November this year, so i can drive it on the Orion Speedweekend :-) for my Adress to send me the Package ask me in PM :-)

Bye all
Marcel
Old 09-22-2006, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 51
One thing to keep in mind is that this car is 99% new...hardly any parts are shared from other kits (unlike the T2 007'). The T2 was a completely new car that probably took X-Ray at least a year to go from the final drawings to the shelf. In the mean time, they used the T1 FK'04 plastic parts to create the FK'05. It's "easy" to update routed carbon fiber and bulkheads, it's not so easy or inexpensive to update molds.
Are you trying to say that the FK05 was not meant to be succesful or a good car and was there to only get the money out of the customers?
Old 09-22-2006, 04:10 AM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Still not impressed.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:33 AM
Tech Rookie

"not meant to be succesful"

hmm..no.. 51 is just pointing out some manufacturers make superficial changes and re-release their cars each year, tamiya do it, toyota does it The '05 is a brilliant chassis, the "Flexray T2" is brilliant marketing but no improvement over the '05. (oh boy, am i gonna get a flaming)

AE however, are notorious for not changing eg. TC3 was 5yr old before the TC4 came along..ie if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Just my 2c and "results may vary"...
Old 09-22-2006, 04:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Brent,

Thanks for the update and good luck in the foam class. Foam tire racing is a different animal then rubber tire racing.

I am looking forward to see how they do on the Carpet in the N.E. carpet season comes early and the racing is tight.

Later
Kevin Boyle
Old 09-22-2006, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Not famling but...

Why? Exactly what does lowering the top deck do? The top deck on most cars weigh less than 7g (1/4 oz) so don't tell me it lowers the CG of the car. Lowering the motor 1mm has a bigger effect on the CG of the car than than lowering the top deck 10mm...or even taking the top deck off .

Structurally low top decks are less stiff and require thicker, heavier, more expensive chasis to get the stiffness back. Ever wonder why the Corally guys run a 4mm chassis on foam tires...now you know. Ever wonder why an Xray FK 05 with 2.5mm chassis is stiffer than an RDX? The FK 05 had a high top deck.

Low top decks also limit height of the layshaft and the size spur you can run. A Cyclone can run a 110 max, a T2 118 max, an RDX 118, 415MSX 108, etc. Brushless motors are getting more popular and require much lower gear ratios than brush motors. On small tracks you need to run in the 12 to 10:1 range. 10:1 is about the best you can do in any of the above cars. To get close to 11:1 you have to break out a Dremel too ...12:1 forget it.

Low top decks are all about fashion not engineering. I applaude AE for designing a race car not a blinged out bench queen.

One last point...how many times has Barry and his new low top deck mee too car finished ahead of Rick Hohwart and his AE proto (Which I heard is Barry's old car) ...the score is Rick 3, Barry 0.
Could it be coincidence that all the cars you list in this thread have been primarily designed for EU/Asia tracks vs. US? By releasing a "US" version, the manufacturers try to compensate the flex-factor by including a stiffer chassis or top deck rather then re-tooling and producing the ideal car for racing in the US. Understanding rubber racing - as what is most popular in EU / Asia requires that you take advantage of mechanical grip a more flexible chassis should lead to great traction hence the lower top deck. My question is did they stumble on this by fluke in efforts to lower CG or was it planned all along?

The "TC5" looks like a very promising car... designed as a carpet racer - it'll be interesting to see it in it's final production stage.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

The car looks great in the pictures, and juho is very fast in mod rubber. The guys will turn it up for the mod foam class also. Rick is the only other american other than paul lemiux to even make the main this year at the worlds. Rick is a mad wheel everyone have faith he will get the foam car dialed in and be in that a main mod foam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.