Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Chris.

That your Pro4 is piece of art

Very nice looking.

Btw. If i remember wright somebody ask earlier difference between those driveshafts.

I finally got that new HPI carbon driveshaft for my car and i put it on the scale, so:

Original: 9g

Carbon: 5g
Old 03-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mach10_shooter
Finished getting the radio gear in my first Pro 4 and just wanted to send along a pic to see what everyone thought. I'll send another when I get the Mazda 6 painted. Man I wish it would quit raining and snowing!!!!!!!

Chris
chris.

nice...looks nice and clean. you should move your GTX switch and mount a fan up in that spot
Old 03-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Default what is a good spur /pinion combination?

I am using a stock 27 twin turbo motor from Integy, what is a good spur /pinion combination?

Integy says the motor has allot of RPM and to start with a smaller pinion they say to stay between 6.6 and 7.1 gear ration, 7.1 being for small indoor tracks

Thanks

PS: the Track I will be racing at has tight corners but has a long straightaway, and has brand new top of the line carpet total size is 48' by 92'

Last edited by lunytune; 03-05-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: what is a good spur /pinion combination?

Originally posted by lunytune
I am using a stock 27 twin turbo motor from Integy, what is a good spur /pinion combination?

Integy says the motor has allot of RPM and to start with a smaller pinion they say to stay between 6.6 and 7.1 gear ration, 7.1 being for small indoor tracks

Thanks

PS: the Track I will be racing at has tight corners but has a long straightaway, and has brand new top of the line carpet total size is 48' by 92'
With a 98 spur, their recommendations would be a bit conservative. 34-36 teeth pinions.
I don't know the track but I would wager it would be between 29-32. Ask the locals see what they say.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Default one-way or spool

On a medium sized carpet track with tight turns which would be better, spool or one-way. i have never been able to get comfortable using a one-way on any sort of track.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: one-way or spool

Originally posted by csilve
On a medium sized carpet track with tight turns which would be better, spool or one-way. i have never been able to get comfortable using a one-way on any sort of track.
Neither, I would think you should be using Front & Rear Ball Diffs?
Old 03-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: one-way or spool

Originally posted by scoobydo
Neither, I would think you should be using Front & Rear Ball Diffs?
i agree.......use front and rear diffs.

if you only have a oneway or spool.....i might use the spool but you will wear out front tires fast.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Re: one-way or spool

Originally posted by csilve
I am using the stock front one way that came with the pro 4
Old 03-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Tech Adept

Default Roll Center?

Could someone breakdown how to set up the roll center on the Pro4?Do I want less shims under the pivot blocks to lower the roll center?Is this the way to go for carpet?Will adding shims make the car roll more??I don't quite understand how this works.
I run on carpet,small tight track.
Please help
Old 03-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Last night at racing (my local indoor carpet club) i was suffereng from some weird handling problems with my pro4.
It was slightly pulling to one side when accelerating out of a corner in one direction which it has never done before, but I hadnt changed anything from the week before. Would it be because the suspension is slightly different left to right? I checked to see if the chassis was twisted but it was ok. It might be something to do with my setting up as that is not my strong point; first I check that my shock collars are all even left to right with some callipers,
then once i have put the shocks back on I do the droop.

Recently I was told that when you lift the car at the center of the car to see if the wheels lift at the same time, i was told that if they dont then you adjust the shock collar at the diagonally opposite end of the car (if you get what I mean), which I did and it worked (the wheels now lift at the same time), but, because now that the shocks are now uneven left to right the surely it will handle just as weird?

Someone please help

Thanks for any help in advance
Old 03-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

hi

jus wondering a good gear ratio for my local indoor club if u go on www.elthamracing.com it will have pictures of the track we use.

i am running a integy 27t turbo

thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Matt Pocknell
Last night at racing (my local indoor carpet club) i was suffereng from some weird handling problems with my pro4.
It was slightly pulling to one side when accelerating out of a corner in one direction which it has never done before, but I hadnt changed anything from the week before. Would it be because the suspension is slightly different left to right? I checked to see if the chassis was twisted but it was ok. It might be something to do with my setting up as that is not my strong point; first I check that my shock collars are all even left to right with some callipers,
then once i have put the shocks back on I do the droop.

Recently I was told that when you lift the car at the center of the car to see if the wheels lift at the same time, i was told that if they dont then you adjust the shock collar at the diagonally opposite end of the car (if you get what I mean), which I did and it worked (the wheels now lift at the same time), but, because now that the shocks are now uneven left to right the surely it will handle just as weird?

Someone please help

Thanks for any help in advance
In the 2nd part of your post you are explaining how to set the TWEAK in your chassis.

This needs to be done after setting the droop as you need to ensure that the maximium extension of downward travel on each side of your car is EXACTLY the same before you can set TWEAK in the manner you have stated

And you will find it is neccessary to set the teak correctly on the Pro4 as the battery side of the car is heavier than the other
Old 03-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Roll Center?

Originally posted by Twin-Kyle
Could someone breakdown how to set up the roll center on the Pro4?Do I want less shims under the pivot blocks to lower the roll center?Is this the way to go for carpet?Will adding shims make the car roll more??I don't quite understand how this works.
I run on carpet,small tight track.
Please help
Adding shims will make the car roll LESS

It's all about balance, on carpet it seems popular to run with very few shims and hard springs, but after saying that i run with 3mm of shims on the rear of my arms and 3.5mm on the front and it works well(30lb springs on the front and 25lb on the rear ass.).

Try experimenting is all i can suggest really but in very simple terms more shims less roll, less shims more roll
Old 03-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by pro4racer
hi

jus wondering a good gear ratio for my local indoor club if u go on www.elthamracing.com it will have pictures of the track we use.

i am running a integy 27t turbo

thanks
Probably the same info the other guy had a few posts ago.
You want to reach top speed about 3/4th of the way down the long straight.
That means you would have to experiment between 28-32 teeth pinion with the stock 98 spur gear. Ask the fast guys what they run and then experiment one up and one down untill your comfortable.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Roll Center?

Originally posted by Merciless
Adding shims will make the car roll LESS

It's all about balance, on carpet it seems popular to run with very few shims and hard springs, but after saying that i run with 3mm of shims on the rear of my arms and 3.5mm on the front and it works well(30lb springs on the front and 25lb on the rear ass.).

Try experimenting is all i can suggest really but in very simple terms more shims less roll, less shims more roll

That is what I thought.I think the instructions have it backwards,or that is how I interpret it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.