Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales? >

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gasser
How do you figure it's the same deal????? Any of the .21 nitro engines fall within the RULES where brushless and electric does NOT!
With electric you have no flameouts, no blown plugs due to a lean tune among other things. An electric buggy keeps a balanced chassis during a complete run where a nitro burns the fuel out of the tank and the weight front to rear changes. It isn't a matter of power since most nitro .21s are over powered for the avaerge racer anyhow. There is an art to keeping a nitro running for a 45 minute or hour long main and that's what makes it nitro racing. I see no problem running them together for a club race until the electric numbers come up if they ever do to have their own class.
well said sir
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For every Nitro issue, there is a corresponding electric issue. We have Thermal Shut downs, pinion problems, drivetrains that can't take the snap of clutchless electric power, heat issues like crazy, insane long battery swaps, motors that are not designed to run more than 10 mins, LiPo safety issues, weight issues, unbalanced chassis for the entire run issues.

The grass is always greener.

I don't care what you drive, in an open class, it always is the driver who wins, not the vehicle. If you are a Nitro racer loosing to electric or an electric driver loosing to nitro, practice more and complain less.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

if you need to run electric then run it with the electric 1/10 scale class not the 1/8 scale nitro class. electrics with electrics and nitro with nitro is the way it should stay. there are many classes I would like to run but dont because there arent enough for me to have fun with so I choose the ones that are strong classses and go with it. the nitro guys shouldnt be put out just because you want them to. Just like someone else stated before, " its like apples and oranges ". Kinda like a girl wanting to play football and the guys have to put up with it. Each class has rules and if a car doesnt fit them rules then they dont belong.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Electric Dave
For every Nitro issue, there is a corresponding electric issue. We have Thermal Shut downs, pinion problems, drivetrains that can't take the snap of clutchless electric power, heat issues like crazy, insane long battery swaps, motors that are not designed to run more than 10 mins, LiPo safety issues, weight issues, unbalanced chassis for the entire run issues.

The grass is always greener.

I don't care what you drive, in an open class, it always is the driver who wins, not the vehicle. If you are a Nitro racer loosing to electric or an electric driver loosing to nitro, practice more and complain less.
Some people act like we just sit our cars on the track and they drive themselves around right into the A main! Plug and play baby. Don't even have to drive.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadracer43
if you need to run electric then run it with the electric 1/10 scale class not the 1/8 scale nitro class. electrics with electrics and nitro with nitro is the way it should stay. there are many classes I would like to run but dont because there arent enough for me to have fun with so I choose the ones that are strong classses and go with it. the nitro guys shouldnt be put out just because you want them to. Just like someone else stated before, " its like apples and oranges ". Kinda like a girl wanting to play football and the guys have to put up with it. Each class has rules and if a car doesnt fit them rules then they dont belong.

lol i think the 1.10th electric guys would cry more then you are.

1.10th elec is so fragile they wouldnt last 10 minutes running with 1/8th anything.

at my track in practice a 1.10th 4wd crashed in front of me going fairly slow, i braked and front flipped pretty slowly and the edge of my wing came down on the 4wds arm and split it in two.

1.8th elec is growing, prolly by the end of the year it will be big enough to sustain itself and then we wont have this talk anymore, it will be whether the nitros can run with the elecs in a couple years.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Some people act like we just sit our cars on the track and they drive themselves around right into the A main! Plug and play baby. Don't even have to drive.

Inside our cool new escs we have GPS and sensors that self drive.

Plug and play my ass.

I have more troubles with my electric then i ever did with my nitro. But its just cheaper to run elec then buy plugs, motors, gas, and clutches.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think that because electric guys finally came up with a way to be fast or faster then nitro, they feel like they need to race them. they dont
Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I can already hear the whining that will go on when I place my brushless 8t 2.0 on the track.
I already talked with the race director. 10 to 15 minute mains and I would have to take a stop and go "pit stop". That would eliminate any advantage I would have not having to refuel.
Anything more then 15 minutes and I would probably have to change batteries which would negate not having to pit in the first 15-20 minutes.

I really do not want any advantages over nitro, just wanted something different. Tired of nitro and all the baggage that comes with it. Some still really like nitro and everything that comes with it, I want to come to the track, throw the truck on the track and run. Plain and simple.
At the end of the night take the batts out and put it away.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

They should not be allowed to run together .........no way no how . You hate to turn away a racer at any track so I understand how that goes . However in my area people are building them to run in the nitro class because they are such a advantage..........that's when it's got to end .

There a blast to drive .......I'm even going to get one to run indoor for next winter but I'm not going to put it in nitro the following summer .

For those who drive nitro .......and are not sure if they are a big advantage or not ....as soon as you drive one ........you will be like ...OOOOMMMMMGGGGG !!! Big advantage .
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

geez!! this has been settled already!! let the thread die!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

No worries here, let em run, Make mains 30 Minutes, that even outs the field for now, if batteries can run 60 minutes or more, well, thats an advantage,!

Raced with em, Same issues as nitro...90% Driver 10% car, I do NOT race electric But if one beats you..Go faster..Get better!