Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree120Likes

TAMIYA M-06 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Got my M06 about a month ago; and am completely loving this car. A little over a month ago we started running a TCS geared mini class and so far the hardest part about the class is learning to drive while laughing your ass off. Our Mini class is slowly but steadily growing. We run on high grip ozite carpet and spec Sweep tires with the silver can motors. If any of you end up near Atlanta; we welcome any visitors.
Attached Thumbnails TAMIYA M-06 Thread-img-20121120-00017.jpg  
Old 12-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I need to get me a Subaru 360 body.. can you ask him where he got it from?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjjheimer
I need to get me a Subaru 360 body.. can you ask him where he got it from?
Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.c...oducts_id=1173
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 AM
Tech Regular

Hi all,
I'm new to the M06, normally race M05s but a bargain on ebay was too good to pass. I did a complete strip down and rebuild of the car and replaced the weak/broken standard damper stay mount with the 54326 Alloy one as well as fitting front and rear carbon fiber TRF shock mounts.
Suspension is as per manual but 35wt oil all round, springs were yellow fronts red rears, also running M Grips front and rear, rear anti roll bar fitted.
I got a chance to run the car on our carpet indoor track and was surprised at how safe it felt in the corners, I was expecting the back to step out a lot more.
However I did notice that the front suspension was "chattering" an awful lot on cornering, a lot of wheel bounce on the inside wheel. Is this normal ? if not how do I fix it ? Do I go with heavier oil or heavier spring ?

Thanks in advance
MG.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Hi all,
I'm new to the M06, normally race M05s but a bargain on ebay was too good to pass. I did a complete strip down and rebuild of the car and replaced the weak/broken standard damper stay mount with the 54326 Alloy one as well as fitting front and rear carbon fiber TRF shock mounts.
Suspension is as per manual but 35wt oil all round, springs were yellow fronts red rears, also running M Grips front and rear, rear anti roll bar fitted.
I got a chance to run the car on our carpet indoor track and was surprised at how safe it felt in the corners, I was expecting the back to step out a lot more.
However I did notice that the front suspension was "chattering" an awful lot on cornering, a lot of wheel bounce on the inside wheel. Is this normal ? if not how do I fix it ? Do I go with heavier oil or heavier spring ?

Thanks in advance
MG.
Hi Marco,

glad to hear you also have fun with the M06!
Do you have some additional infos about the dampers? Are this CVA or TRF, and what pistons are used?
The M-Grips are perfect for carpet on the M06, I also use them f/r on our carpet track. If you have not the Pro, I guess you have still the plastic steering? Then maybe some percentage of the chattering comes from some elasticity or play in the steering, and the inside wheel can start shaking.
I would try then the connecting alloy bar from the Pro. You donīt need the alloy steering levers, the stock parts with ball bearings do the trick.
If that is not the case or you cannot adress it by steering parts,
I would try asofter spring and a softer oil or more piston holes to see the effect. Probably the inside wheel lifts a bit and this starts the shaking.
But this are only my first ideas about the problem.

Greets from Germany,
Matthias
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reply Matthias, it is a pro kit that I have. There seems to be a lot of play in the lower arms so I will add a few shims to eliminate that.
I use TRF dampers with 3 hole pistons all round. I'll try a lighter oil for the next day.

B)
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I race on medium grip asphalt track. I run s grip in the rear my question is do these tires work when the tread starts to wear away.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

I race on medium grip asphalt track. I run s grip in the rear my question is do these tires work when the tread starts to wear away.
If itīs just starting , itīs still o.k. to my experience. On high grip surfaces youīll have no worries, still.
However, on dusty tarmac surfaces the tread helps gripping. Here I would change earlier. On my M06 itīs starting on the nside of the tire. If more than 2 treads are worn away, I replace the tires at least for the races, and use them for fun runs and practice.

Thanks for the reply Matthias, it is a pro kit that I have. There seems to be a lot of play in the lower arms so I will add a few shims to eliminate that.
I use TRF dampers with 3 hole pistons all round. I'll try a lighter oil for the next day.
Hi Marco,
so you have also the Pro Kit! Using 3 hole pistons and 35 Oil in front is not too stiff, so suspension should still work fine. Guess shimming out some excessive play is a good starting point!

Br,
Matthias
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
If itīs just starting , itīs still o.k. to my experience. On high grip surfaces youīll have no worries, still.
However, on dusty tarmac surfaces the tread helps gripping. Here I would change earlier. On my M06 itīs starting on the nside of the tire. If more than 2 treads are worn away, I replace the tires at least for the races, and use them for fun runs and practice.

Br,
Matthias
Thank you good to know I have 3 tread worn treads. The first heat no grip I sat out the second heat since I was qualified 3rd. In the main the grip was up from all the cars cleaning the track and I put 2 laps on the field. I thought the tires were starting to be a problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

I Am looking for the best long wheel base body that will fit my m06. Now I run a Tamiya. Nissan Silvia and with Nissan a 110mm body short wheel base. I think a longer chassis 147mm would work better on the big track I race on?l
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
I Am looking for the best long wheel base body that will fit my m06. Now I run a Tamiya. Nissan Silvia and with Nissan a 110mm body short wheel base. I think a longer chassis 147mm would work better on the big track I race on?l
Those bodies are hard to find. You need to look for M02L bodies

http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?....x=0&image.y=0

or m04L bodies.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?q=m04l&x=0&y=0

I run my the M 225 bodies.. im an Alfa Romeo fan so its always the GTV for me.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Those bodies are hard to find. You need to look for M02L bodies

http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?....x=0&image.y=0

or m04L bodies.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?q=m04l&x=0&y=0
Raman is right, these are hard to find.
Nevertheless, Beetle body is still available without problems here in my country:

http://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index...tle-58383-1-10

But, itīs probably not the best aerodynamic body of these... (-;

BR,
Matthias
Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

I think the L wheelbase is obsolete. For long tracks.. stick with 225 mm wheel base.

For 225, you also have the HPI cup racer bodies, such as Datsun 510, 240Z and toyota corolla levin and bmw 2002 turbo

http://www.hpiracing.com/hpibodies/mini/
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Raman
I think the L wheelbase is obsolete. For long tracks.. stick with 225 mm wheel base.

For 225, you also have the HPI cup racer bodies, such as Datsun 510, 240Z and toyota corolla levin and bmw 2002 turbo

http://www.hpiracing.com/hpibodies/mini/
thank you guys but there has to be some modern bodies made for this car. I can't believe Tamiya can sell a car with so few body choices. it just looks unfair to me to race a low profile sedan body against mini cooper style bodies. I like the specR Volvo wagon will that fit? That body has been out of stock since it was released.lol
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default M-06R

Hi Guys,

Do you already own the M-06R ?
Can anybody confirm , that the weight and the lower rear dampers ends up in an better rear grip?

i am strongly interested in this kit, but won't spend money if there is not that big difference (compared to my M-06 Pros)

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.