Home made rc car rubber tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by tamiya wrc
This is become a quite expensive hobby
This will become a recurring theme....

Having seen the car, (nice car btw) may I suggest some kind of insanely hard compound tire? Like tires from RTR kits or Tamiya Rally Block tires (which would really suit the look of the car).
Or the el cheapo Chinese tires someone suggested.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS
This will become a recurring theme....

Having seen the car, (nice car btw) may I suggest some kind of insanely hard compound tire? Like tires from RTR kits or Tamiya Rally Block tires (which would really suit the look of the car).
Or the el cheapo Chinese tires someone suggested.
Hello!

These "Tamiya Rally Block tires" do not look like slick tyres for tarmac racing...I am also searching tires for brushless cars...under subaru body kit is hiding TA07 pro chassis

Thank you.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Tech Champion

Hello!

These "Tamiya Rally Block tires" do not look like slick tyres for tarmac racing...I am also searching tires for brushless cars...under subaru body kit is hiding TA07 pro chassis

Thank you.
They are not.... but they are known for being insanely hard... You can also try Tamiya M2 slick/radial tires. These are exceedingly resistant to abuse.(from personal experience when I was a noob) Bear in mind M2 tires require special 26mm wide rims and inserts are not included.

M2 radials M2 slicks Rally Block

Other cheap Tamiya tires known for being very hard (and cheap enough to experiment with)
Tamiya, Medium-Narrow Racing Slicks ,(51049)
Tamiya, Medium-Narrow Racing Radial Tires ,(51023)
Tamiya, Racing Semi-Slick Tires ,(50810)

Cheapest tires I could find.

I seem to remember the 'RIDE' brand of tires were pretty good as well....

I need to know what kind of motor/weight of car/weather you are running in so I can get a better picture...

Another trick I know of is to buy one of the cheap hard tires (like the ones listed above) and 'sauce' them.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Back in the day, and the picture pretty much tells you how far back in the day, we used to cut strips of bicycle inner tube and glue to the foam tires of our pan cars. This tire is roughly 30 years old and still has its shape. Of course the rubber is now rock hard and the tire would be useless but if you just want a cheap way of retreading your tires you can get 50 tires out of a $5 bicycle tube. It would be OK on a 4wd chassis in parking lots or on the street. Not recommended for racing.

Sean
tamiya wrc likes this.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Radi0Flyer
Back in the day, and the picture pretty much tells you how far back in the day, we used to cut strips of bicycle inner tube and glue to the foam tires of our pan cars. This tire is roughly 30 years old and still has its shape. Of course the rubber is now rock hard and the tire would be useless but if you just want a cheap way of retreading your tires you can get 50 tires out of a $5 bicycle tube. It would be OK on a 4wd chassis in parking lots or on the street. Not recommended for racing.

Sean
Hello!

The solution is not so bad...I was thinking quite similar but the tires which I am use for racing needs also to be balanced as well...so I need to check if those tires produced at home can be balanced at the same way and can replace the tires from the shop. Otherwise can you tell me the thickness of your bicycle tyres because usually they are not thick at all, just around 1mm? Maybe these inner tubes can be glued also on rc drift tires? At the end the money which I am spent for tires can be used much more smarter on chassis upgrade.

Thank you.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Hello!

The solution is not so bad...I was thinking quite similar but the tires which I am use for racing needs also to be balanced as well...so I need to check if those tires produced at home can be balanced at the same way and can replace the tires from the shop. Otherwise can you tell me the thickness of your bicycle tyres because usually they are not thick at all, just around 1mm? Maybe these inner tubes can be glued also on rc drift tires? At the end the money which I am spent for tires can be used much more smarter on chassis upgrade.

Thank you.
Not sure you would get the traction you need for racing but if you use rubber traction compound it might work OK.

Regular tubes are a bit more than 1mm thick but as you stretch over your tire they get a bit thinner. Maybe a heavy duty tube is better. I'm sure if you are careful you can make a wheel that can balance but it might be tricky.

Again, I have to say that I don't really think it would be a competitive racing solution against real touring car tires. I only posted to give you a cheap option for making practice tires or when you are just driving in parking lots or on the street. For actual racing I don't think you can get close to the performance of a good touring car tire.

Good luck.

Sean
Old 05-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Tech Initiate

I thought I saw some heat shrink tape on the internet. Maybe ebay. Maybe you could find something like that & wrap it around the wheel until you have it the diameter or circumference you want. You could even stagger them. I am curious to find it now. I am interested in what you come up with.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS
They are not.... but they are known for being insanely hard... You can also try Tamiya M2 slick/radial tires. These are exceedingly resistant to abuse.(from personal experience when I was a noob) Bear in mind M2 tires require special 26mm wide rims and inserts are not included.

M2 radials M2 slicks Rally Block

Other cheap Tamiya tires known for being very hard (and cheap enough to experiment with)
Tamiya, Medium-Narrow Racing Slicks ,(51049)
Tamiya, Medium-Narrow Racing Radial Tires ,(51023)
Tamiya, Racing Semi-Slick Tires ,(50810)

Cheapest tires I could find.

I seem to remember the 'RIDE' brand of tires were pretty good as well....

I need to know what kind of motor/weight of car/weather you are running in so I can get a better picture...

Another trick I know of is to buy one of the cheap hard tires (like the ones listed above) and 'sauce' them.
Hello!

I have installed on my TA07 pro chassis Hobbyking X- car brushless power system 4000kV/60A, Lipo battery 4200mah 2S2P, the weight of the car is 1530g.

Thank you.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello!

Any new idea regarding with subject "Home made RC tyres"?

Thank you.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Contact tyres

Hello!

I decided to test foam Contact tires on tarmac surface, the local supplier recomended to use hardness 37Sh JAP Carbon J13773, dimensiones of tires 26mm in wide and 64mm in outside diameter. Looks great on my rally version of Tamiya TA07 pro chassis. Has anyone already use mentioned tires, maybe some opinion?

Thank you.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Best bet for quality (at home) would be to make a mold. You should be able to make the mold with the proper cavity for an insert. Whether or not it's worth doing, well if you want to say you made your own and don't mind spending more money & loads of time for something you can pickup pretty cheap, then sure.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello!

Is there anyone who produces foam tyres at home. I think that with home production of foam tyres can be saved a lots of money and the process can not be so difficult? Maybe can someone share some experiences how to do it?

Thank you.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here's a Youtube video for ya. After you glue the foam to any wheel you will have to have a way to true the tire to make it round. In the long run it will be cheaper to buy pre-made foam tires or buy r/c foam tire donuts unless you have access to the same foam that r/c car manufacturers use. Also you will need good glue to mount the foam to the wheels.

There are many DIY enthusiasts who make a lot of things for r/c cars (tires, wheels, bodies, chassis, etc). But unless you have good knowledge of the materials being used, your result might not end up very usable.