Wiki Posts
Search

ESC - Drag Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default ESC - Drag Brake?

Hi

Could someone explain what the drag brake setting is, what it does and what effect it has on the car (1/10 touring car)?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

To put it simple...From novaks site...

Drag Brake turns the dead band area between throttle and brakes into a preset amount of brakes, which eliminates the time, or dead space, to travel from brakes to throttle.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

What ^ he said.

When you let off of the throttle and the trigger is at rest, a preset ammount of brake is immediately applied.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Drag brakes also make a brushless motor feel more like a brushed motor .When you let off the throttle it has drag on it.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks all. I read somewhere that drag brake should be reduced for low grip/ slippery surfaces?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kosmickid
Thanks all. I read somewhere that drag brake should be reduced for low grip/ slippery surfaces?
Indeed, as you want to free roll the slippery areas and not have brake applying when you dont want it. Unless you want to ride the throttle (not enter dead band) which is hard to do Drag brakes can also work variably, so the faster you are going the more braking you get when in the dead band.

I personally turn the drag right down until the car behaves well in the dead band relative to the track conditions. Just enough to behave like a engine/compression brake in a 1:1 car.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by blis
I personally turn the drag right down until the car behaves well in the dead band relative to the track conditions. Just enough to behave like a engine/compression brake in a 1:1 car.
that's what I prefer too. just enough to where I get light lift-off oversteer. ensures that I don't plow

EDIT: GRAVE DIGGING. sorry. didn't realize the thread was ancient
Old 01-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5errated
that's what I prefer too. just enough to where I get light lift-off oversteer. ensures that I don't plow

EDIT: GRAVE DIGGING. sorry. didn't realize the thread was ancient
we have all done it before
Old 01-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good to know...
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Personally I've moved away from using any drag brake at all, it's forced me to learn better throttle/brake control. Plus I have my brakes set so low that it only slows me down just enough to get the weight to transfer to the front wheels. Also, I've been told drag brake will increase heat in the motor as its like always have your brakes on.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by EricW
Personally I've moved away from using any drag brake at all, it's forced me to learn better throttle/brake control. Plus I have my brakes set so low that it only slows me down just enough to get the weight to transfer to the front wheels. Also, I've been told drag brake will increase heat in the motor as its like always have your brakes on.
I heard that as well....That it will add extra heat. I am going to go with it off for now since I am pretty new into Electric racing coming from Nitro way back in the day.