R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   ESC - Drag Brake? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/587207-esc-drag-brake.html)

kosmickid 01-13-2012 02:18 PM

ESC - Drag Brake?

Hi

Could someone explain what the drag brake setting is, what it does and what effect it has on the car (1/10 touring car)?

nhmade 01-13-2012 02:43 PM

To put it simple...From novaks site...

Drag Brake turns the dead band area between throttle and brakes into a preset amount of brakes, which eliminates the time, or dead space, to travel from brakes to throttle.

ChooChoo1800 01-13-2012 02:59 PM

What ^ he said.

When you let off of the throttle and the trigger is at rest, a preset ammount of brake is immediately applied.

hotrod87 01-13-2012 05:07 PM

Drag brakes also make a brushless motor feel more like a brushed motor .When you let off the throttle it has drag on it.

kosmickid 01-13-2012 05:37 PM

Thanks all. I read somewhere that drag brake should be reduced for low grip/ slippery surfaces?

blis 01-14-2012 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by kosmickid (Post 10167686)
Thanks all. I read somewhere that drag brake should be reduced for low grip/ slippery surfaces?

Indeed, as you want to free roll the slippery areas and not have brake applying when you dont want it. Unless you want to ride the throttle (not enter dead band) which is hard to do Drag brakes can also work variably, so the faster you are going the more braking you get when in the dead band.

I personally turn the drag right down until the car behaves well in the dead band relative to the track conditions. Just enough to behave like a engine/compression brake in a 1:1 car.

5errated 01-14-2014 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by blis (Post 10171146)
I personally turn the drag right down until the car behaves well in the dead band relative to the track conditions. Just enough to behave like a engine/compression brake in a 1:1 car.

that's what I prefer too. just enough to where I get light lift-off oversteer. ensures that I don't plow

EDIT: GRAVE DIGGING. sorry. didn't realize the thread was ancient

ThePanda 01-14-2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 5errated (Post 12904869)
that's what I prefer too. just enough to where I get light lift-off oversteer. ensures that I don't plow

EDIT: GRAVE DIGGING. sorry. didn't realize the thread was ancient

:lol: we have all done it before

FinishLineSport 01-14-2014 01:36 PM

Good to know...

EricW 01-14-2014 01:39 PM

Personally I've moved away from using any drag brake at all, it's forced me to learn better throttle/brake control. Plus I have my brakes set so low that it only slows me down just enough to get the weight to transfer to the front wheels. Also, I've been told drag brake will increase heat in the motor as its like always have your brakes on.

Reborn8 06-27-2014 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by EricW (Post 12905887)
Personally I've moved away from using any drag brake at all, it's forced me to learn better throttle/brake control. Plus I have my brakes set so low that it only slows me down just enough to get the weight to transfer to the front wheels. Also, I've been told drag brake will increase heat in the motor as its like always have your brakes on.

I heard that as well....That it will add extra heat. I am going to go with it off for now since I am pretty new into Electric racing coming from Nitro way back in the day.