Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Moderately priced charger recommendation? >

Moderately priced charger recommendation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moderately priced charger recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Buy the best...you'll only cry once.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Our new ProTek line of chargers are the result of a very long design and testing process. This charger is $169.99 dual outputs and AC/DC. Plus all of the other features you are looking for.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...S-12A-100W-x-2
Old 11-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Buy the best...you'll only cry once.
I have read this once before.LOL
Old 11-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Just go with the hyperion if you want an AC/DC. if you want to save a couple dollars and dont want the IR or high discharge features pick up a tp61- ac/dc. They are always for sale on these forums for cheap.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-7S-20A-150W

tp610
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ger-w-Balancer

both of those are really good. I actually use them both. They are limited to lower amps on DC. The Hyperion will do about 10amps on AC and the TP610 will do about 5amps. Personally, I would get the hyperion for a few dollars more and get the ability to charge and log packs with the usb.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LadiesFirst
Thank you all so very much!
Grasschopper, you have given me some very helpful links. I have looked at them. The Dynamite Passport looks interesting but they are out of stock. From others' experiencing, backordering can take forever.

I'm not sure about the Hi-Tech charger. I'll have to revisit that.

The Turnigy looks interesting because it charges two batteries, but needs a PS and it doesn't say anything about storage mode. I do have a PS but I don't think it would power this one - my PS is 14-17 amp. I was kind of hoping to bypass the PS and get one with internal, but it's not out of the question. I'm still considering it.

These all look very interesting and I will be revisiting the links and weighing them against one another.

But one question I do have - oh, and the Powerlab I haven't looked at - figured it would be way beyond my means . My question is whether you know if any of the ones listed are reliable (Turnigy, Hi-Tech) or if you have heard anything about them from other racers? At this point since I just threw away $70 with the latest chargers I got that were defective (includes postage), I am looking for reliability. Granted, I may have to pay a high price for that, but I have also purchased high priced items that were not reliable, so sometimes price doesn't matter. Any of you heard or experienced reliability issues with any of the chargers you listed, or any others you've heard about reliability-wise. All this info is really helping me out. Thank you again, all of you. I really appreciate it all.
I used that exact Turnigy for a year and it is the same charger as the similarly speced HiTech and ProTek and also the same as the Dynamite. Really clearly a lot of these chargers are coming out of the same factory and are all the same basic unit prepackaged. The Turnigy charger I listed DOES have a storage mode.

For instance this Thunder Power charger is identical to this HiTech Charger. And this HiTech charger is the same as this ProTeck charger and this Turnigy Charger. Basically you can buy the same charger from Thunder or Turnigy and save $50 over HiTech and ProTek...but they are CLEARLY all the same charger. And again having used the Turnigy I can tell you that other than having the PS built in and slight cosmetic differences it is the same charger as the Dynamite that I just got. I made the switch so that my 12 yr old didn't have to worry about all the extra wires and what to turn on etc.

Like I said I have the PL6 too and if you can swing it I'd go that route...but it is $175 for the base model and then you need a power supply. I love mine but it isn't cheap.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

WOW!!!

Lots of info here . . . and choices. I will carefully look into all of them. Razz, I had to laugh at your comment on buying the best. I have bought the best many times and still gotten bad products, so I used to believe that you get what you pay for (meaning expensive), but in today's business climate, I'm no so sure that works too well anymore. I think it was back in 2008, I bought an EXPENSIVE new ICE charger. It has been put away for awhile now, mostly because none of the buttons work anymore so you can't change the settings, and you can't read the screen, but the setting that it is stuck on is for the correct charging rate, and I use a balance board, so I have started using it again. (BTW, everyone else I know that bought that charger had the exact same problem with it - my friend has two of them with the exact same problem). It came with a five-year warranty, so I called after the first year to see what could be done about the screen as there had been an aftermarket backlight system made for them by another company. Also, if any dirt got into it, it rendered the screen completely unreadable. They would do nothing. So now I'm more sold on a person's experience first with a product, then price. You have given me some good advice, as have others. I really appreciate all these responses and obviously, I won't make a snap decision, but will look into all of them. I doubt I could have come up with a group of good chargers to look at without everyone's help. Thanks, guys, for being so responsive.