Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Moderately priced charger recommendation? >

Moderately priced charger recommendation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moderately priced charger recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Moderately priced charger recommendation?

Hi All,
I just smoked up my 2nd NEW Thunder AC6 charger through no fault of my own, or my batteries. This is a replacement for a NEW one I purchased recently from HobbyPartz. That first one had major overheating issues after just a few minutes. They acknowledged it was defective, so I sent it back and they replaced it. Now this one went up in smoke - it was not overheating, but it signaled connection break halfway through charging a battery. I've had this one for a couple of months and only used it about 10 times. This brand used to be pretty good quality - I still have my first one, but now they appear to be garbage. I'm tired of sending it back and paying high postage. Can I get some recommendations from experienced racers and RCers for a moderately priced, but good quality Lipo charger with balance, storage and discharge capability? I am looking for something RELIABLE, which may not exist anymore. A quality product. I realize I will have to pay more for it, most likely. Any recommendations from experienced racers? It has to at least charge at 5.0 amps and I'd prefer AC/DC (built-in power supply). Thank you.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Revolectrix PL6 $174.99 from ProgressiveRC.com.

You'll never look back, I promise you.

EDIT: Just noticed that you prefer AC/DC (internal power supply). The PL6 requires a separate power supply. Do a search for "FeatherMerchant Power Supplies" to go with the above charger or you could use a Meanwell power supply like I do. Most of the higher end chargers are going to require a separate power supply.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Racers Edge PRIME SOLO80 Multi-Chemistry Balance Charger. They are going for around $100 and you don't need a power supply.

http://www.racers-edge.com/Racers_Ed.../rcesc1800.htm
Old 11-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, guys, for the info and your opinions. I appreciate it.

Racer,
Thanks for the helpful link. I will look into that.

Razz,
I am now very curious. I didn't realize most the high-end chargers still use external power supplies. I was thinking technology may have progressed on that one. Are there any good quality or high end chargers that do have internal power supplies?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LadiesFirst
Thanks, guys, for the info and your opinions. I appreciate it.

Racer,
Thanks for the helpful link. I will look into that.

Razz,
I am now very curious. I didn't realize most the high-end chargers still use external power supplies. I was thinking technology may have progressed on that one. Are there any good quality or high end chargers that do have internal power supplies?
I would say the nicest one is the Orion cad cline and some of the hitec acdc chargers. The performance is not as good as a dc only charger though.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are there any good quality or high end chargers that do have internal power supplies?
How many amps do you want to charge your battery at?
5 amps, 10 amps, 15 amps, even 20 amps?
The best chargers that have the power supply built into the charger are only
going to charge at 10 amps, (one is a dual port)give or take a few.
But, they are not going to be moderately priced.

Last edited by Markcuda; 11-19-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This will set you back 250, if you can find them at that price.

Passport Duo 400W Dual AC/DC Charger
Features
•Internal AC power supply saves on space and doesn't require a separate external power supply
•100–240V AC (50/60Hz) or 11–18V DC input voltage
•Detachable AC power cord
•200W charge power per output
•25W discharge power per output
•Short-circuit, over-current, and reverse-polarity protection
•Low-input voltage protection
•Over-temperature protection
•Battery storage mode
•IP33CW, IK07 environmental rating
•Includes (2) insulated banana-to-EC3™ battery adapter cables
•Includes (2) JST-XH balance adapter boards
•Optional high-current DC power cord available (DYN4012)
•Charges Li-Po/Li-Fe/Li-Ion (1–6 cell), Ni-MH/Ni-Cd (1–15 cell) and Pb battery types
•500W internal power supply ensures that full power output is available even while utilizing both charge outputs and all USB power options
•0.1–10.0A adjustable charge current per output
Part Number: DYN4300
MSRP: $379.99
Available for*: $269.99
--------------------------------------------------------------
This guy converts power supplies from computers.
http://www.feathermerchantrc.com/
Old 11-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've had my Hyperion EOS 0720i Net3 AD charger now for going on 3 years with not one hick up or glitch. It has been a flawless charger and can handle everything I throw at it.
I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-7S-20A-150W
Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Markcuda
How many amps do you want to charge your battery at?
5 amps, 10 amps, 15 amps, even 20 amps?
The best chargers that have the power supply built into the charger are only
going to charge at 10 amps, (one is a dual port)give or take a few.
But, they are not going to be moderately priced.
Marc,
The charger that smoked (and another I have just like it) will do quite a bit, including not let me do anything wrong. I did like that But it is limited to charging at 5 amps, which I can live with. For what it offered, it was a pretty nice package, it's just that the quality now has totally downhill and is nonexistent. That Dynamite charger sounds great, but beyond my budget. Still I appreciate the suggestions. At least they make me aware of what people are using and having good luck with. Thank you.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jonnydigital
I've had my Hyperion EOS 0720i Net3 AD charger now for going on 3 years with not one hick up or glitch. It has been a flawless charger and can handle everything I throw at it.
I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-7S-20A-150W
Johnny,
Thank you for the link. I have actually heard and thought about a Hyperion, just didn't know which one to look at. Both my MUCH OLDER chargers are working well, but don't have storage charge modes and some of the other options. Guess that's why they are still alive - they don't have as much "stuff" in them to go wrong. But I do want a charger that will do all that, especially the storage charge. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

The Powerlab 6 charger will not let you do anything wrong. It is a very good charger with protections built in for all sorts of things, including over-charging. They built it on the side of safety in every aspect. It has a storage charge mode that you just press the button and walk away, it does everything for you.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

I guess I'll show off my setup a little bit.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...ing-setup.html

Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RazzBarlow7
I guess I'll show off my setup a little bit.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...ing-setup.html

LOL There's nothing moderate about the cost of your setup though.

So anyway here are some options:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-6S-10A-200W

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-6A-50W

Honestly that Racers Edge charger seems like a pretty decent (spec wise) charger for the money. Personally I have a PL6 and that Dynamite Passport Ultra Duo...both very nice chargers. If you get down and dirty about it the only difference between the Dynamite and say this combo: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
is the packaging and about $100
Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you all so very much!
Grasschopper, you have given me some very helpful links. I have looked at them. The Dynamite Passport looks interesting but they are out of stock. From others' experiencing, backordering can take forever.

I'm not sure about the Hi-Tech charger. I'll have to revisit that.

The Turnigy looks interesting because it charges two batteries, but needs a PS and it doesn't say anything about storage mode. I do have a PS but I don't think it would power this one - my PS is 14-17 amp. I was kind of hoping to bypass the PS and get one with internal, but it's not out of the question. I'm still considering it.

These all look very interesting and I will be revisiting the links and weighing them against one another.

But one question I do have - oh, and the Powerlab I haven't looked at - figured it would be way beyond my means . My question is whether you know if any of the ones listed are reliable (Turnigy, Hi-Tech) or if you have heard anything about them from other racers? At this point since I just threw away $70 with the latest chargers I got that were defective (includes postage), I am looking for reliability. Granted, I may have to pay a high price for that, but I have also purchased high priced items that were not reliable, so sometimes price doesn't matter. Any of you heard or experienced reliability issues with any of the chargers you listed, or any others you've heard about reliability-wise. All this info is really helping me out. Thank you again, all of you. I really appreciate it all.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LadiesFirst
Johnny,
Thank you for the link. I have actually heard and thought about a Hyperion, just didn't know which one to look at. Both my MUCH OLDER chargers are working well, but don't have storage charge modes and some of the other options. Guess that's why they are still alive - they don't have as much "stuff" in them to go wrong. But I do want a charger that will do all that, especially the storage charge. Thank you!
The EOS 0720i Net3 will storage charge (keeps Lipo capacity at 60%) and cycle charge/discharge as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.