Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree56Likes

What's Happened to ROAR Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 08:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sorry eR1c, but you didn't do your due diligence. You took the easy way out. Why not take the time to contact a Regional Director and find out what's really going on with ROAR. Who knows, you may be able to help in some small way and make the hobby that much better. ROAR is not some big company or some guy in a garage trying to make money. It's a group of fellow racers trying to keep the hobby together. They're all volunteers and they have their own lives and cars. I think we've been over this.

I'm not gonna hate, but I think you're wrong on this
nitrodude likes this.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry eR1c, but you didn't do your due diligence. You took the easy way out. Why not take the time to contact a Regional Director and find out what's really going on with ROAR. Who knows, you may be able to help in some small way and make the hobby that much better. ROAR is not some big company or some guy in a garage trying to make money. It's a group of fellow racers trying to keep the hobby together. They're all volunteers and they have their own lives and cars. I think we've been over this.

Sorry eR1c, but you didn't do your due diligence. You took the easy way out.
You are entitled to your opinion, i respectively disagree. I spent over 3 months trying to get my physical cards.

Stating "I'm not gonna hate" actually kind of does say that "your hating". ...but I don't care to get into a debate w/ you over why I am wrong on this. You probably would have handled this much better than I.
DirkW and gigaplex like this.

Last edited by eR1c; 10-02-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jiml

I strongly disagree with you. They sent multiple emails spanning multiple months to try to get what they paid for. The customer shouldn't be required to research the organizational structure and spam anyone of importance for a simple customer service complaint.
Cain, eR1c, DirkW and 3 others like this.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Hasn't this same complaint.issue.problem been yapped at for many years. sure post your feelings and experiances with roar but has any one that paid for a roar # gone to a roar event and not been allowed to race at it. I havent been and its been 6 years since I have gotten a card.. I dint volunteer either have any of YOU? to fix there lag?
Old 10-04-2021, 12:00 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by eR1c
You are entitled to your opinion, i respectively disagree. I spent over 3 months trying to get my physical cards.

Stating "I'm not gonna hate" actually kind of does say that "your hating". ...but I don't care to get into a debate w/ you over why I am wrong on this. You probably would have handled this much better than I.
Okay. I'm not gonna hate. I understand the frustration. ROAR has its issues, I won't disagree with that

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I strongly disagree with you. They sent multiple emails spanning multiple months to try to get what they paid for. The customer shouldn't be required to research the organizational structure and spam anyone of importance for a simple customer service complaint.
At what point after trying the same thing over and over do you try something else?
I was a Regional Director. In fact this was a common problem I had to deal with. Many a racer came to me and asked about their membership. Come to find out that all these racers had problems with their ROAR membership after joining at a track. After some investigation I found the tracks did not forward the memberships to ROAR, keeping the money for themselves. It took a few months to get one track to finally get the memberships for 3 people who joined there. I was at another race telling this story when another racer said he had the same issue! He said don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by the rc guy
Hasn't this same complaint.issue.problem been yapped at for many years. sure post your feelings and experiances with roar but has any one that paid for a roar # gone to a roar event and not been allowed to race at it. I havent been and its been 6 years since I have gotten a card.. I dint volunteer either have any of YOU? to fix there lag?
I have
Old 10-04-2021, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Yup same excuses.

Money gets poured into ROAR for memberships and their national events. Theres zero transparency and no telling where that money goes. People keep saying most workers are volunteers. Ok so where's the money then?

Volunteer to work for roar? Sounds like a waste of time since the regional directors wont be able to do much to change the organization. I've already been taken advantage of by Roar by giving them money to race at the track I worked at. Why support an organization that does nothing for me?

At least NHRA advertises events nationally to attract the general public and this list:

BECOME AN NHRA MEMBER

• NHRA National Dragster subscription: Spectacular action photography, in-depth features, and the sport's best racing coverage (12 issues per year)
  • 25% off your NHRA.tv, NHRA's exclusive live streaming and VOD channel
  • $40 off your tickets to your favorite NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series events
  • 10% off NHRA merchandise from NitroMall and NitroMall.com
  • Digital Rulebook (with members-only pricing on print edition)
  • Official NHRA membership card, collector's pin, and decal
  • Free admission to Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum in Pomona, California
  • 10% off Dragmart classified ads you place in NHRA National Dragster
  • $575,000 Excess Medical Insurance

They offer more than Roar and actually deliver. Crazy stuff
eR1c likes this.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:25 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
Ok so where's the money then?
The insurance company
nitrodude likes this.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

ROAR Income and Expense Report YEAR 2016. This as the last <pdf> available for viewing on their website. Question 2. at FAQ indicates financial statements are published twice a year. "Contact the ROAR Administrator ... for updates and more information".

A total TOTAL REVENUE of $241,010 listed. Under EXPENSES a salary of $30,000 is paid to the Administrator. Insurance payout is $30,745. $99,935 in Membership Fees.

TOTAL EXPENSES were listed as $228,225. CURRENT YEAR OPERATIONS [2016] - NET $12,785. FUNDS AVAILABLE JANUARY 1, 2017 were listed as $215,788.

You can access the specifics of expenses [for 2016] by going to the website and scrolling down to page bottom. Bulk went to Nationals.

This information is available to the public on their website. 'AC'
nitrodude and eR1c like this.

Last edited by AHR43; 10-04-2021 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spell check wreaking havoc on the figures
Old 10-04-2021, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jiml
At what point after trying the same thing over and over do you try something else?
They tried something else. PayPal payment dispute. I still stand by requiring people to research the organizational hierarchy in order to spam everyone of importance is not acceptable.
Cain and eR1c like this.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:28 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
Yup same excuses.

Money gets poured into ROAR for memberships and their national events. Theres zero transparency and no telling where that money goes. People keep saying most workers are volunteers. Ok so where's the money then?

Volunteer to work for roar? Sounds like a waste of time since the regional directors wont be able to do much to change the organization. I've already been taken advantage of by Roar by giving them money to race at the track I worked at. Why support an organization that does nothing for me?

At least NHRA advertises events nationally to attract the general public and this list:

BECOME AN NHRA MEMBER

• NHRA National Dragster subscription: Spectacular action photography, in-depth features, and the sport's best racing coverage (12 issues per year)
  • 25% off your NHRA.tv, NHRA's exclusive live streaming and VOD channel
  • $40 off your tickets to your favorite NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series events
  • 10% off NHRA merchandise from NitroMall and NitroMall.com
  • Digital Rulebook (with members-only pricing on print edition)
  • Official NHRA membership card, collector's pin, and decal
  • Free admission to Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum in Pomona, California
  • 10% off Dragmart classified ads you place in NHRA National Dragster
  • $575,000 Excess Medical Insurance

They offer more than Roar and actually deliver. Crazy stuff
Such a list also stands or falls with the activity of the people behind it.....
Also our Dutch Nomac started many years ago to claim a 7 euro from all the club members. In exchange they got an ensurance and discount at some shopes with the OMAC card. The discount and card lasted 2 years (I think) and I know once the insurance was needed they did everything to lay it at 1st at the person his own ensurance.
But still such a construction that clubmembers also pay a fee to the national organisation is normall over here. Several sports like Soccer, tennis and hockey know the same construction.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

Here in Germany, there's also some complaints about our governing body ( more about the rules though). But in my opinion they are doing are reasonable good job, at least concerning the membership and insurance administration.
Every year, around December, our club gets a list of all its registered members. There's one guy in charge that acts as the link between club and association. In our club, it's me. So I take that list and I check for any members that are not active anymore or have changed clubs. I add new members, too (but new members can enroll all year round). After that, the association will get the revised list, our club pays the fees (which is included in our club meber fee) and 1 month later, usually during January people receive the newest rule book and their member cards. The association also provides an insurance for all clubs (at no extra cost) for guest drivers during training sessions, that aren't even members of any clubs. Big plus.

I don't know what a "club" means in the US. Here in Germany, it's actually a "legal construction" and there are some rules you have to comply with (being registered with public authorities, having statutes, an executive board, having a cashier whos work is controlled by other club members and so on). In the US, tracks are often commercial tracks, right? I wonder if there's some truth to it, as mentioned before, that sometimes those "club" owners don't pass the membership applications on to ROAR, no offence intended.

Andreas
AHR43 and gigaplex like this.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:52 AM
Tech Lord

In the US "club" is a ubiquitous term for any group of people. There are very few organized RC clubs around.

I have yet to see a governing body for any form of racing that doesn't have an endless list of complaints. Case in point NASCAR
nitrodude and AHR43 like this.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Update:
I received my 2 cards after I disputed the charge via PayPal (and received my refund via PayPal).
There was a nice note expressing how sorry they were that my cards took so long. ROAR seemed to see my PayPal dispute (but not my repeated emails).
--
In any case as soon as I received my cards I went ahead and re-purchased the membership (since ROAR did refund me, I am not trying to rip anyone off or get away with anything).
I do hope ROAR can figure some of these issues out. As a side note, I do volunteer at the club level and have always tried to help grow our hobby through various avenues including acting as our club's Social Media Manager and event organizer.

Cain, jiml, AHR43 and 3 others like this.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:45 PM
Tech Lord

Thank you for volunteering. The hobby needs people like you.

Whatever email address you were using apparently isn't active. Paypal sent their email to an address that someone reads. I'm glad you got it resolved.
AHR43 and eR1c like this.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For those that miss ROAR races because their membership took too long to be renewed, you can buy event long membership at all ROAR events. Plus if you are a member but the renewed card hasn't been mailed, they do have a list that the track can access.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.