Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Painter's Chat

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah...association...kinda like a union...lets throw some ideas on what painters would like to see if this can be possible at all...
Old 10-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Charlie, count on Lynn for support and ideas. She isn't here now or she would say the same thing.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

does a one colour rattle can painter count?

haha, if i was a pro painter i would help out but i guess i aint am i
Old 10-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Some thoughts off the top of my head:

Well, for starters your idea of a ...um, 'price guide' for lack of a better descriptor, would be of help for starters. Further, I'm thinking of something along the lines of a 'Seal of Approval' or 'Badge of Membership' that could be included in online portfolios and/or sales and auctions and so on. This 'badge' is only as strong as the membership that backs it up though, so just allowing anyone to use it would dilute its effectiveness. Ok, so this leads to a need for a centralized website or somesuch that accounts for the membership, and describes what it's all about, why it exists, and the things it stands for - like Fair Market Value for paint work, a certain level of quality assurance for buyers of said work, and so on.

Ok, so some questions..

Would such a thing be useful, both for us and for our customers?

How to regulate the use of the 'badge', if it is indeed used?

How to decide who may or may not be part of the association?
-- I'm not necessarily trying to think in an exclusional sense, but it might be something to think of, like a necessary evil, to a degree.
And then, how to put it in motion.. a jury of peers perhaps? Would regular membership reviews be in order?

Thoughts, comments?

Discuss.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Actualy, what i had in mind, was having one of the Paint Companies sponsor a website where all painters who register will have their work featured as well as have links to their site. It will help the painters out who need orders filled when they can not fill them out on time. Registration is fee and will be based on a donation support system. that way, instead of people looking for specific websites, they can go there and choose the painter they wish PLUS have a small forum fo tips, mask sharing, work sharing, etc. Of coarse the benefit is for the Painter..so im thinking if panters will wanna have this "meetingplace" for the painters, this might be a good thing for everyone....maybe even have Hosting for your images..
**Get special discounts for Bodies from the manufacturers...endless ideas..

This is something i'd like to see...
Old 10-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

haha..RCXpress was thinking in teh same lines!!! I think it is possible and yes...some type of SEAL of APPROVAL should be addressed...it helps keep quality up as well as keeping customers satisfied!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That sounds like a good idea to me. I have sort of retired from painting for the time being, but that sounds like something that would work.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

more ideas:

Mask Sharing: to help cover "overflow" of work.

Paint Discount: I can work on deals with Paint companies that sponsor us.

REAL Body Discounts: Not just hobbyshop cost, but may a little less.

Discount on Iwata/airbush equipment:Im sure i can work something out too.

Anyway..just a few more ideas throwing our there.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Is this "RCPA" (Radio Control Painters Association) going to be official with a board of directors and membership dues?

It sounds like a good idea that would protect members by said "seal of approval" that would set a minimum amount their work should go for related by materials used so the painter doesn't lose money.

It will take a lot of work to get such an association fair and right and all the details worked out, but sounds like your well on your way.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

hey...so you good painters that already have good airbrushes etc get discount on good airbrushes..while me sat in a corner with my crappy airbrush has to pay full whack for one

however..sounds like a good idea, you guys should give it the goahead and start on it
Old 10-29-2004, 06:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

It definately sounds like a good idea. I've been painting for over 15 years, and I've always wished that we could get some help....
Old 10-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

After over a decade of using a VL, just yesterday my Iwata HP-C arrived. Honestly it is a wonderful tool. The look, the fit and finish, I really like how it's made and the attention to detail. I like the way it feels, the trigger is smooth and it's easy to handle. Not that there is anything wrong with the VL (some artist I have seen do amazing work with a lesser brush than the VL so it's not like the brush will make me a better artist), I am still using it for some things but the Iwata ... imho is a wonderful brush and I didn't know what I was missing. It seems more a precision tool than "just" an ab.

I am really happy I picked one up!
Old 10-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm also thinking of buying a VL or HP-C after what i've heard of it. But i'll use my Aztek 7778 some more time
Old 10-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

hey guys im about to paint my first time and im using fascolor through a VL -do i need to thin it at all and if so with what? faschange purple is what im gonna use. and also what color should i back fasflourescent pink, some fasescent blue, and majority faschange purple with?--see pic-also what psi or should i just mess around and figure it out?

thanks
-ryan
also the organization idea sounds sweet
Attached Thumbnails Painter's Chat-aaaa0080.jpg  

Last edited by rdub202; 10-30-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, it all depends on how much pressure you are running and what size tip you are using. Pearls/metallics generally need to be thinned more than standard colors. What I do is take a new bottle of paint, open it, and fill it the rest of the way with water. That sprays nicely through my HP-C on about 40 psi.

Back the flourescent colors with white. Back the fascent colors with silver. As for the faschange, it depends on what you want it to end up looking like. That paint is pretty transparent. It will give a purple tint to whatever you put behind it. I like backing it with black or white. Silver doesn't work very well. You lose a lot of the purple. Try backing it with the fascent blue. That gives a nice effect. Basically, the part sprayed with faschange will be the color of what you back it with, but you will catch hints of purple here and there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.