Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

"the break in bible"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
To be honest, there are 1001 methodes how to break in an engine and all are basically the same: start rich, keep te performance down and work slowly over 1 or 2 liter (depending the starting pinch) to a race tuning. With cheap engines I have done plenty of the quick and dirty way and have broken in several engines within an half liter and the results were also good.

Now for me, I have made 2 break in machines so I do de most work at home.....
THX Roelof......I just wouldn't want to fuck up my first 1/8 onroad engine. I know there are many more to come but I dont wanna spoil thinks for myself the very first hour of fun.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:00 AM
Tech Lord

Do not get fooled by different results mentioned by others. All engines do come with small tolerances so that one is faster than the other or keeping its pinch better are most of the time caused by tolerances and choice of materials.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

I agree, there are so many methods out there that I have probably never broken in engines the same way twice!

Heat and lubrication is all that I'm concerned with, but of course that includes several other things by default.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

Ok...thx ...will give the method described in the first post a go, cooling down in between 2 to 3 minutes stints and trying to keep the temps up, not too rich, not too lean, not reving up to high

w.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

In the case of a centax type clutch it is wise to loosen the spring a bit for a low rpm engage.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
In the case of a centax type clutch it is wise to loosen the spring a bit for a low rpm engage.
+1...good tip!...will do.

w.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wkloppen
+1...good tip!...will do.

w.
I would keep the enginetemps above 80 C , and with the weather we have this weekend that's probable no problem.

Succes