Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Maximising engine characteristics. >

Maximising engine characteristics.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree36Likes

Maximising engine characteristics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Again,from BDC:
Transfer closes:65 (aha!)
Exhaust closes:89.

Inlet opens:37 after BDC
Inlet closes:65 after TDC

How does it look now?

NR P5 mash up(unknown crank)
Transfer closes:70
Exhaust closes:91.

Inlet opens:37 after BDC
Inlet closes:61 after TDC

RB S5 mash up(cs sport sleeve s5 crank)
Transfer closes:64
Exhaust closes:84.

Inlet opens:34 after BDC
Inlet closes:47 after TDC
Well those numbers are more in the norm, though the first two is timed for onroad, more or less. But if they are worn they can easily differ some.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The REDS is brand new from EBIS, I was surprised with the numbers pulled from the P5 sleeve.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

The REDS is brand new from EBIS, I was surprised with the numbers pulled from the P5 sleeve.
Which Reds modell is it? It's the very opposite of what I've seen from them before, seems Very strange.

Yes, the P5 seems very strange as well, never seen such high numbers on any of those... Maybe one of the Nova gurus can shim in.

That's why I like to measure myself, some have trouble getting it right.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

WR7 Diamond, same Elliott Boots run. About the P5, can be Go internals on NR crankcase.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:11 AM
Tech Lord

Novarossi transfer ports are always 65 or lower, only some modifiers will use 66 or even 67 (works good with onroad)

70 and 91 on the ports looks like a higher placed sleeve or maybe a domed piston in the sleeve made for a flat piston. Go is basically a copy of a Novarossi so I would expect no differences, but who knows...
Old 09-14-2017, 03:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

WR7 Diamond, same Elliott Boots run. About the P5, can be Go internals on NR crankcase.
Okay, then it might just be so, things do tend to evolve over the years. And it says that it's a high rpm engine on the website, so it does add up.
The single exhaust also makes a slight differens.

Originally Posted by Roelof
Novarossi transfer ports are always 65 or lower, only some modifiers will use 66 or even 67 (works good with onroad)

70 and 91 on the ports looks like a higher placed sleeve or maybe a domed piston in the sleeve made for a flat piston. Go is basically a copy of a Novarossi so I would expect no differences, but who knows...
That might just be the case, I don't have the thickness of the collar written down, but it makes sens.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

I have one idea. How about making the oil rings wider now that they are worn? If the blade is strong enough to push the metal to the sides, like ploughing.

The P5 is already shot so why not try this? For science.
Attached Thumbnails Maximising engine characteristics.-idea.gif  

Last edited by 30Tooth; 09-15-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have one idea. How about making the oil rings wider now that they are worn? If the blade is strong enough to push the metal to the sides, like ploughing.
I do carefully clean the groove if there is a lot of buildup in them, but other then that, I would leave it alone.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:15 AM
Tech Lord

They do something but w/o it is not the end of the world. I have seen many .12 competition engine w/o the rings.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

One thing I haven't seen discussed much in this thread is in regard to the crank - namely the size of the bore of the crank. I've had discussions with a couple guys on his subject - the common consensus is the same between them. Curious what others have to say about it? How thin can the wall of the crank be to stay in one piece? Or rather - is there a correlation of the size of the crank to the size of the carb? Some have said that changes to the crankshaft are half to three-quarters of what improves an engine.. Thoughts?

I have some books on the list to buy since the library cannot get them, but some of these details I doubt would be contained in a book. :yup:
Old 09-15-2017, 04:13 AM
Tech Regular

Hello NitroVein and Friends,

This might not be relevant with the Engine Timing Subject.

I just want to share my knowledge about basic mathematic calculation sequence.

30Tooth mention that,

360-89x2 = 182
360-144x2 = 72

As far as I know, 30Tooth calculation is correct because multiplication and division will calculated first before addition and deduction.

Cheers..

Originally Posted by NitroVein
Well, 360-89=271x2=542
And, 360-144=216x2=432

Time to change the batteries in you calculator..?

The site Roelof posted a link to uses BDC as point zero, as most do.
(That is, if it says for instance 130 degrees of transfer timing, then it's the total opening duration! So it's 65 degrees of either side of BDC.)

So if you have an engine with 178 degrees of exhaust duration and 72 degrees of transfer duration, you have one seriously strange engine... That would come to 53 degrees of blowdown!!

There are some books that you might want to read that can help you clear up most of your problems.
30Tooth likes this.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NitroVein
I do carefully clean the groove if there is a lot of buildup in them, but other then that, I would leave it alone.
Think of it like redoing the groove in the hopes the displaced material is sculpted outward and upwards of the groove.

Originally Posted by Roelof
They do something but w/o it is not the end of the world. I have seen many .12 competition engine w/o the rings.
See above reply.

Originally Posted by SlowLST2
One thing I haven't seen discussed much in this thread is in regard to the crank - namely the size of the bore of the crank. I've had discussions with a couple guys on his subject - the common consensus is the same between them. Curious what others have to say about it? How thin can the wall of the crank be to stay in one piece? Or rather - is there a correlation of the size of the crank to the size of the carb? Some have said that changes to the crankshaft are half to three-quarters of what improves an engine.. Thoughts?

I have some books on the list to buy since the library cannot get them, but some of these details I doubt would be contained in a book. :yup:
Speed of mixture, how fast it travels through the vacuum created by the piston

Originally Posted by stanleyw808

30Tooth mention that,

360-89x2 = 182
360-144x2 = 72

As far as I know, 30Tooth calculation is correct because multiplication and division will calculated first before addition and deduction.

Cheers..
Yeah, while the calcs were correct the timings not!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

I haven't seen anything posted or published in regard to what the crankcase pressure levels are in a small two-stroke glow engine are. I have an engine that has a pressure tap installed in the backplate that I can connect a gauge to. I'd be curious to know how crankcase pressure is affected (if it even is affected) by boring the crankshaft to allow better breathing and also altering the rotary valve timing.

It's too bad most of the books I've found online dealing with two-stroke engines don't deal with rotary valve engines like our tiny toy engines. All dealt with motorcycle and go-kart engines.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by stanleyw808

30Tooth mention that,

360-89x2 = 182
360-144x2 = 72

Cheers..
I see... That might very well be true... I'm sorry if I wasted some of yours time!
Most of my math is adapted for calculating in my head instead of on paper, my teachers might had a good point in that you should do as the rest.
stanleyw808 likes this.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by SlowLST2

I believe it is one of the standard mods of Murnan to drill up the bore of the crankshaft. The larger bore creates the mixture more like a ball giving a more equal filling in the lower crankcase but sadly the larger bore does give a larger volume as well giving a lower bottom power.

With good materials a huge bore is possible. We have played with 9.5mm on a 12mm crankshaft. Novarossi went from 14 tot 14.5mm because of the larger bore (10.5~ 11mm) and less hussle with expensive materials and hardening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.