Wiki Posts
Search

Exhaust Gas Coolers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Exhaust Gas Coolers?

Was just thumbing around on some hobby sites and ran across an exhaust gas cooler claiming "better fuel mileage and longer run times due to cooler fuel entering the carb." Do these things actually work? Squeezing some extra run time out would be great.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

i would say probably not, If they did you would see everyone running them and wouldnt have to search for hours just to find one......Just my .02
Old 07-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdewalt1985
i would say probably not, If they did you would see everyone running them and wouldnt have to search for hours just to find one......Just my .02
yeah, kind of what I was thinking. Didn't know if someone had first-hand knowledge of them and if there was a noticeable gain in mileage. There are so many variables with mileage that it's probably hard to tell.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

yeah I thinks its like the boost bottles, looks cool but the extra wieght sorta does away with any gains if any at all.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I will say on my old P5 my OFNA exhaust cooler actually did a little, i wouldnt say it gave me a whole new mileage, it lowers temps by 20 deg, but it kept it about 5 deg cooler and i got about 30 seconds worth of more runtime without changing tune. If it was me i would get it because it's only 10 bucks, on the other hand if your really wanting a improvement, then it wouldnt help to much. Just looking for a little gain goes a long ways!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Here are more opinions on the exhaust coolers. This one has a link to a thread which has more info and even a study done by some heli guys.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...as-cooler.html
Old 07-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

these do work. are there certain days when they will work better than other days, yes. everything in those links posted is subjective and those peoples opinions because they think they know how the fuel tanks are affected by the exhaust pressure. have they run them, doubtful. common sense will tell you this...your engine runs around 230 degrees, how hot do you think the exhaust it? hotter than hell! any little bit you can do to cool the gas will help. a cooler fuel/air mixture will produce more power, thats why drag racers pack ice around the air intake on their cars. put a cooler on your car, run it for a qualifier, and grab that cooler when your done running, they are hot! now tell me that means it doesnt work. its doing its job by absorbing heat from the air.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I have run cooler in my 1/10 onroad cars and all my 1/8 buggys and have found that there is a slight runtime increase maybe more in the onroad side but have kind of got use to them so there here to stay for me
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Tech Lord

The funny thing is that a heli guy has created clear data but I have never seen data from a car.

Currently I am busy with a telemetry system and want to messure the effect of the cooler in a car as well, I hope to show the results soon ...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...mes-alive.html
Old 07-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm not one that is easily swayed just cause the pro's do it but think about it for a second. If it could do what they claimed to do wouldn't you see them on the cars of ALL of the pro's? These guys get paid to race and bonuses if they win. Almost none of the fast guys use them at all.

I tried one and got rid of it just as quick because it was useless.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
I'm not one that is easily swayed just cause the pro's do it but think about it for a second. If it could do what they claimed to do wouldn't you see them on the cars of ALL of the pro's? These guys get paid to race and bonuses if they win. Almost none of the fast guys use them at all.

I tried one and got rid of it just as quick because it was useless.
If you think about it, there are mostly certain conditions when they would use it, ie. a really hot day at the silverstate race last year. Not saying they could care less or think it doesnt work but the people who make these wouldnt put the money into it if it was just a accessory
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 71schaeffer
If you think about it, there are mostly certain conditions when they would use it, ie. a really hot day at the silverstate race last year. Not saying they could care less or think it doesnt work but the people who make these wouldnt put the money into it if it was just a accessory

Of course they would because people see them and think they will do miracles and buy them, Just like all the crap they sell on infomercials. Just my .02 not trying to get into a heated debate on this just saying. If they made that much of a difference everyone would be using them.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Ya i gotcha, i am just using because if there is a difference, then living in Kansas city were the weather so far has been brutally hot.... then i am praying it works to keep my engine any cooler it can get lol
Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

yeah not saying there isnt any difference at all but I feel it is so little that the average basher is not going to notice any difference.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Lord

The only feeling I had was a more stable tuning of the engine and basicly if you think about it there is some sense....

Oil it the part in the fuel making the thickness of the fuel. Oil is also the part making the thickness (viscosity) temperature sensitive. During a tank the hot exhaust gasses is heating up the fuel in the tank changing the viscosity and so the tuning.
With a more stable tuning it is much easier to lean out the engine and find the limit giving a better performing engine and a longer runtime.

But yes, it was a hype which is not that much used today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.