Search
Like Tree5Likes

"the engine tuning bible"

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Vinno
Few questions:

Doesn't idle long enough to put the body pins on. My idle gaps on all motors are set to paper clip, about 0.70mm. <- need to lean LSN?

After a few laps, idle heaps high on stop and heats up. <- need to richer LSN?

If car stops for like 7-15 secs then hit gas, it seems to sluggish-bog for like 4 secs then take off. Same thing when starting it off the start box if it flames out. <- is this from too rich LSN or to Lean? I'm thinking fuel buildup from LSN but if I set it leaner, the idle will be high.

You reset a engine to factory settings, it won't start up. Which is then best way to go from here?
when you lean the LSN the idle should get higher...
So try to lean the idle too

my idle is closer to 0.5mm.

if your engine temp start to be higher then ritchen the HSN.

this usely works with my novarossi 4
Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

i broke in my new O.S this weekend using the break in and tuning method on the WERKS B6 thread (first post). In my honest - Nitro engine Noob - opinion that is by far the easiest and best breaking-in/ tuning method there is, having read most of the long winded ones on this forum that assume you have at least SOME nitro knowledge..it takes the guess work out of it...all you need is to listen to what the engine is telling you. for the first time ever (alone) I got my new engine tuned PERFECTLY.

it worked great for me:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...ng-engine.html

thanks to WERKS for posting this method
Old 11-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)

I am also having a problem after idling for a little big and pressing throttle it logging really bad or flaming out and after I start it from starter box it does the same thing.. bogs really bad or dies. Am I just needing to lean the lsn an hour?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlesandstuff
I am also having a problem after idling for a little big and pressing throttle it logging really bad or flaming out and after I start it from starter box it does the same thing.. bogs really bad or dies. Am I just needing to lean the lsn an hour?
probably more like a full turn
Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Default False or true?

Hey.
A very experiend Danish nitro engine user, told me this a few month ago:

"When e.g. Adam Drake runs a very little venturi (5.5, 5.4 or 5.0???) he risk the life of his engine: Only a little wheelspin (too much throttle during acceleration) or throttle when the car is upside down, the temp will increase to +200º Celsius in no time due to the small venturi!"

Is that true???

If yes, Adam and all other using small venturies, will not be able to add some throttle while juimping etc. etc..
Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is probably the wrong thread, but how is the performance of "THE Engine" compared to the new OS Speed engines?

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Hopefully a quick question...
Basically, once your motor is tuned,you have a good idle & can pull rigger after say 12-15 seconds and it pulls with a slight rich feel , as long as the temps dont keep climbing and stay in a consistent range, "example 235-245", and you dont get lean bog your fine is that correct..
Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
Hopefully a quick question...
Basically, once your motor is tuned,you have a good idle & can pull rigger after say 12-15 seconds and it pulls with a slight rich feel , as long as the temps dont keep climbing and stay in a consistent range, "example 235-245", and you dont get lean bog your fine is that correct..
Close enough jabroni
Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just followed this tuning bible on a engine that has been giving me fits and man I have to thank the author so very much for taking the time to help a fellow man to enjoy such a great hobby. I was truly frustrated with this engine and I am by no means new to nitro engines but by following this guide to a T I fixed my problem. My engine had completly lost its tune and was waaay out of wack and this helped me control the beast of and engine! Great write up no wonder it is sticky'ed to the top!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default I have two nitros i cant get to run right

Hi i have a HPI Evo3 RS4 rtr stock motor and i was wanting to know if you could tell me the exact adjustment and wich was the high and low.I also have a losi GTX but i think i got it close to running right it has the os max mach .12 i just want them both to run good
Old 04-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Default Temps

Say if it was 0 degrees outside could you tune your engine to the same temp as if it was 30 degrees say 121.1 degrees
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by the daddy
Say if it was 0 degrees outside could you tune your engine to the same temp as if it was 30 degrees say 121.1 degrees
Hi.

No, if you tune it to e.g. 120ºC it will be too lean. Here in Denmark we have an indoor race in the winther. Ambient temp is between -5 to 10ºC. In 0ºC our engines will be 80-90ºC, in 5ºC 90-100ºC. Many drivers lean their engines too much in cold weather because they look too much on the temp instead of how the engine perform. They ruin their engines due to too lean settings.

I've often seen drivers running their not fully broken-in engines at that race. With a little rich HSN the engine bearly gets 80ºC. That really hurts the engine due to too much friction between piston and sleeve.

Personal I wrap the head in a piece of air filter foam the get into the 100ºC range.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
Hi.

No, if you tune it to e.g. 120ºC it will be too lean. Here in Denmark we have an indoor race in the winther. Ambient temp is between -5 to 10ºC. In 0ºC our engines will be 80-90ºC, in 5ºC 90-100ºC. Many drivers lean their engines too much in cold weather because they look too much on the temp instead of how the engine perform. They ruin their engines due to too lean settings.

I've often seen drivers running their not fully broken-in engines at that race. With a little rich HSN the engine bearly gets 80ºC. That really hurts the engine due to too much friction between piston and sleeve.

Personal I wrap the head in a piece of air filter foam the get into the 100ºC range.
Thanks that makes perfect sence
Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys: experienced racer gone dumb... Haha that be ME. So here's my problem: i have found my hsn settings and can get to wot with good smoke (actually a bit more than what i care for but for now it works)....my problem is low end. When i do a high speed run and slam on the breaks or even allow it to come in coasting to a slow hault; the engine will sound as if it is high idling for 3-4secs then after this high idling it will return to the normal low idle that we all know. I have tried richening my lsn needle. My idle gap is at 1mm. I have tried decreasing my idle gap but when i do this, the engine will turn off once it gets past the high idling. What can i do to fix this??? Oh one more thing; this engine used to be in perfect tune till last weekend when i started chasing a tune due to a clutch bell bearing failure. So i know there is nothing wrong with the engine (jammin .28). Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by respirologyrc
Hi guys: experienced racer gone dumb... Haha that be ME. So here's my problem: i have found my hsn settings and can get to wot with good smoke (actually a bit more than what i care for but for now it works)....my problem is low end. When i do a high speed run and slam on the breaks or even allow it to come in coasting to a slow hault; the engine will sound as if it is high idling for 3-4secs then after this high idling it will return to the normal low idle that we all know. I have tried richening my lsn needle. My idle gap is at 1mm. I have tried decreasing my idle gap but when i do this, the engine will turn off once it gets past the high idling. What can i do to fix this??? Oh one more thing; this engine used to be in perfect tune till last weekend when i started chasing a tune due to a clutch bell bearing failure. So i know there is nothing wrong with the engine (jammin .28). Thanks
Sounds like too rich LSN. Lean it a little and close the idle gab a little. Between every retune give the engine some throttle so the engine doesn't load up. Remember small adjustments at a time. You want a steady low idle speed. Keep leaning the LSN and adjust the idle gab untill you get to that point. Your LSN are only too lean if the engine starts to increase the RPM after a few seconds of idle. Personally I like to know where that point is. At that stage turn the LSN out just a little and you have a rocket on wheels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.