Like Tree5Likes

"the engine tuning bible"

Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy

Can,
You guys tell me why this engine is doing this.Yesterday I got my engine running for the 1st time this year,yes it was properly winterized.Started after a little coaxing and it was chilly outside.I waited till temps hit about 180 then took it for a spin,at first it seemed good.Decent smoke all the way to wot.Temp hit about 210 or so and then it started to bog out.This was only in the very first part of the throttle pull,and then seemed fine the rest of the way.But almost every time i came to a stop it would get sluggish in the 1st part of throttle pull,and yet it was idling decent.
Thanks in advance
Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The fisherman
Can,
You guys tell me why this engine is doing this.Yesterday I got my engine running for the 1st time this year,yes it was properly winterized.Started after a little coaxing and it was chilly outside.I waited till temps hit about 180 then took it for a spin,at first it seemed good.Decent smoke all the way to wot.Temp hit about 210 or so and then it started to bog out.This was only in the very first part of the throttle pull,and then seemed fine the rest of the way.But almost every time i came to a stop it would get sluggish in the 1st part of throttle pull,and yet it was idling decent.
Thanks in advance
dirty carb ! very common over winter ! fuel gels up and collects in the fuel passages....
Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Neal,
What is the cure,I want to get this engine out and ready as a backup,before I put your engine in.Should i just run a few more tanks through,I did put a drop of after run oil in the carb.Will this just go away after another tank or 2 or is there something else i should try.I just got your e-mail I will try the youtube thing hopefully tonite,got boiler issues to deal with right now.
Thanks,
Don
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The fisherman
Neal,
What is the cure,I want to get this engine out and ready as a backup,before I put your engine in.Should i just run a few more tanks through,I did put a drop of after run oil in the carb.Will this just go away after another tank or 2 or is there something else i should try.I just got your e-mail I will try the youtube thing hopefully tonite,got boiler issues to deal with right now.
Thanks,
Don
I sent you pm earlier. Call me and i'll walk you through it.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

subscribe
Old 04-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default toro nero

started breaking in toro tea today first start was a demon to get actually had to lean the needles some following the bible best as i can this motor is my first nova so far seems like a beast
Old 04-28-2011, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

Default Tuning question

Hi guys,
I'm not exactly a noobee and can usually help a lot of guys with tuning but this one has got me stumped and was hoping someone could chime in with help.
I have a new OS xzb Speed and I've never had an issue like what I'm experiencing with this engine.
Scenario :-
Hi Speed pass and the engine revs out with not too much smoke and has heaps if not too much power. When I back off the engine almost stalls out and then the idle rises to normal and will idle this way for 20-30 secs.
After idling for 20-30 secs it will take off slightly slower with more visible smoke than say idling for a few seconds.
After idling for 1-10 secs it will take off really quick.
So am I correct in assuming that my hsn or mrn? is maybe too rich still which is causing the idle to almost stall out after a high speed pass ??
If I blip to 1/4 throttle smoothly, idle will drop straight back to normal when I back off.
Trouble is I don't really wanna lean it anymore on top as it as honestly got too much power now. I'm running 30% Nitro and 6mm venturi. Standard head shims.
Any ideas guys??

Edit :

Clutch bearings and clutch is good.

Last edited by Soapy; 04-28-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soapy
Hi guys,
I'm not exactly a noobee and can usually help a lot of guys with tuning but this one has got me stumped and was hoping someone could chime in with help.
I have a new OS xzb Speed and I've never had an issue like what I'm experiencing with this engine.
Scenario :-
Hi Speed pass and the engine revs out with not too much smoke and has heaps if not too much power. When I back off the engine almost stalls out and then the idle rises to normal and will idle this way for 20-30 secs.
After idling for 20-30 secs it will take off slightly slower with more visible smoke than say idling for a few seconds.
After idling for 1-10 secs it will take off really quick.
So am I correct in assuming that my hsn or mrn? is maybe too rich still which is causing the idle to almost stall out after a high speed pass ??
If I blip to 1/4 throttle smoothly, idle will drop straight back to normal when I back off.
Trouble is I don't really wanna lean it anymore on top as it as honestly got too much power now. I'm running 30% Nitro and 6mm venturi. Standard head shims.
Any ideas guys??

Edit :

Clutch bearings and clutch is good.
anyone? this is happening to my +4, revs out great then throttle off back to idle then idle is very low then flames out ? what needle is causing this?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

sounds like over lean top , too rich low
Old 05-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Big thanks to the OP. This has been a great help for this old newbie.

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited by rustyfingers; 05-09-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

i have ago gx7r with the long lsn needle..y observations so far are.. if i lean the lsn so that quarter to full throttle has a light steady stream of smoke the idle to 1/4 is too lean (no power)..if i lean so 0 to 1/4 had smoke and power 1/4 to 3/4 is too rich and lots of smoke hsn seem to only effect the last 1/4 of the rev range (3/4 to full) is this common.. do u lean hsn more to compensate for the lsn richness?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Last edited by LOSI123; 06-13-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Engine help

I put this in another forum but the more help the better-

Hello all,

My engine us a RB S7, about 5 years old and it runs great when it gets going but if I do not run it for a couple of days, it is hard to get going.I am also having problems with the idele settings (It revs high when jumping and I am not on the trottle) I have taken really good care of it, after run oil, broken it down and cleaned it when not racing it, etc etc.

I do alot of racing but I am just wondring if it is time to get a new motor
Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bucket2772
I put this in another forum but the more help the better-

Hello all,

My engine us a RB S7, about 5 years old and it runs great when it gets going but if I do not run it for a couple of days, it is hard to get going.I am also having problems with the idele settings (It revs high when jumping and I am not on the trottle) I have taken really good care of it, after run oil, broken it down and cleaned it when not racing it, etc etc.

I do alot of racing but I am just wondring if it is time to get a new motor
Hi.

Sounds like it is too lean on the LSN. You can't start it because close to no fuel gets through the carburator. Try 1/4 or 1/2 out on the LSN and see how that works
Always turn the HSN 1/8 out before you put your car on the track for the first time each race/practise day. Then you will start on the rich side no matter the outdoor temp, humidity etc.. After 5 min. or so, you can lean the HSN a little, just untill your fine engine sings on the straight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.