Search
Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Work Party

Now, for a subject that is much more tangible.

Work Party tomorrow at SeaTac 9 AM to 12 PM.

I'll be there.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

I understand the cost of rent and other variables which play into effect of the cost of the racing venue. So then as a business I think that the Wednesday night program should be the 1 being charged the 20+20+ since the rent is twice as much per hour as the CC and it cost the club money every night we have a race when it doesn't pay the overhead with entry money. Racing in the hanger by a financial side just doesn't make sense. It would be nice if the club was able to have the CC on Wednesday nights, but I'm sure that's not possible or Todd would have secured that deal.

Just a thought for next season, I just want the club to be profitable so we can continue to provide a great racing environment for everybody to enjoy.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins sr
I understand the cost of rent and other variables which play into effect of the cost of the racing venue. So then as a business I think that the Wednesday night program should be the 1 being charged the 20+20+ since the rent is twice as much per hour as the CC and it cost the club money every night we have a race when it doesn't pay the overhead with entry money. Racing in the hanger by a financial side just doesn't make sense. It would be nice if the club was able to have the CC on Wednesday nights, but I'm sure that's not possible or Todd would have secured that deal.

Just a thought for next season, I just want the club to be profitable so we can continue to provide a great racing environment for everybody to enjoy.
Keep in mind, ( as an example ) retail businesses lose money on one item to get people in the store. We aren’t a business, per say, it’s a non profit and nobody gets paid a dime ( I know you know that, but it’s worth repeating ). Seatac currently helps the other two programs the most, yet it also, someday might need new asphalt. It’s a collective that is helping each other in down times. I personally don’t look at them as separate entities but as a whole because the various venues support each other in more ways than just money. Mostly in man power... strength in numbers. Hope that makes sense.
Jake
Old 03-16-2018, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Jeff,

The second entry discount at the hangar is something we have tried to see if it would prompt additional participation. Over time I would say it has not done that. Primarily, the hangar program being a quick hitter means racers choose a single class to concentrate on. That's sensible. I'm prepared to say the few who double up would do so irrespective of the discount. Your point regarding the hangar being the wrong venue for discounting fees is spot on.

I suspect that some of the same pressure applies to the gym; it's only 90 minutes longer. They go by fast. In any case, it's right on the edge to run two classes. Whether a discounted second entry would prompt additional participation? I guess we would have to try it and track it over time. Based on a couple years' observation of the hangar, it's not a slam dunk.

You are right that the gym is not available mid-week. The Magnuson CC is a busy facility, and getting busier all the time. Weeknights are booked through 9pm, so the gym is no-go for Wednesday.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey guys,
I like to be a little factual instead of bulldozing a topic down your throats. We are all educated. I'll show you the formula. You can make up your mind on what's best.

Last Sat at the CC, we had 45 entries. Not factoring in Fam Disc. 1/3 was a double entry. At $20 an entry, you get:

45 x $20 = $900

If we went to $20/$10 and still had 45 entries

31 x $20 = $620
14 x $10 = $140
Total = $760

In order to get income to equal our $20/class at $20/$10, nearly every single driver would need to enter a 2nd class.

31x $20 = $620
28 x $10 = $280
total = $900

OK, last year, our average attendance was up at 59. This past season we are averaging 49. Why the decline? Too expensive? Terrible traffic? Lost interest? Too many other racing venues? Don't like the structure of the program? Not enough track time? But this is another subject for our fastest growing city both in expense and population in the country.

Lets say we get back to our hey days of 59 ave entries at the current rate of 1/3rd is the double entry at $20/$10.

39 x $20 = $780
20 x $10 = $200
total = $980

OK, that is "doable". The funny side effect that happens now is there is even less open track time due to more cars in attendance. Classes will get trimmed to 5 min. We have a hard start and finish and all that racing just needs to crushed in there. So does that really improve the value of racing?

The Gym costs $525 every time we set up. The Hangar costs $602. Sure, we could be cold hearted and carry a very business strategy attitude and cease the Hangar program an instantly improve our bottom line. But side effect would be traumatic. The loss of a Wed night program would sever the hobby for those not able to make a Sat. The available manpower shaved in half. It would be horrible move on our part. The Hangar is just as important as the CC as is Seatac.

Keep all this in mind; after the cost of H30 and the CC, we only average about $98/n of income. And that number is in the Black, not the Red!

Jeff, I am glad that ask this question. We really do take hard looks at really everything within the club. Todd has laid a great structure. There are many checks and balances in place. If I felt the $20/$10 price structure at the CC was going to improve our club, I'd be the first to push it. (BTW: it's $20/$5 at the hangar).

Brian
Old 03-19-2018, 01:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Hey guys,

Last Sat at the CC, we had 45 entries. Not factoring in Fam Disc. 1/3 was a double entry. At $20 an entry, you get:

45 x $20 = $900

If we went to $20/$10 and still had 45 entries

31 x $20 = $620
14 x $10 = $140
Total = $760

In order to get income to equal our $20/class at $20/$10, nearly every single driver would need to enter a 2nd class.

31x $20 = $620
28 x $10 = $280
total = $900

Brian
If I may, I remember and revisited the days of 74 entry club days: Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

It was grueling, tiring, and the smaller amount of practice did hurt. There were more 2nd class, and even some braved the 3rd. I did enjoy paying $20 for two classes vs $40 for two now, but the entry numbers don't seem to be there currently, and keeping the finance numbers positive is always a necessity. WGT and F1 were removed, now F1 back and seems to be recovering nicely. The maclan might just be what increases the scale spec numbers if people want to play (I do!)

Oh yeah, #teamxpatterns

Last edited by R3VoLuTiOn; 03-19-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:46 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default Solution

Well
Check this out
This is totally spec motor
It is cheaper than Maclan and it is fixed timing /plug and go motor
No club need to stock them in hand
Hobbyking 25.5
Amain Hobby price 51.00
HWA30408008
Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT...m3EAwKo.GMceA-
Old 03-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OVA
Well
Check this out
This is totally spec motor
It is cheaper than Maclan and it is fixed timing /plug and go motor
No club need to stock them in hand
Hobbyking 25.5
Amain Hobby price 51.00
HWA30408008

.....And you wouldn't be able to run that motor (be competitive) anywhere but at our club. (Think TCS motor rules). At least with the Maclan you can be competitive at any club's class that uses a 25.5 motor. All that for $9.00 more.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:22 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
.....And you wouldn't be able to run that motor (be competitive) anywhere but at our club. (Think TCS motor rules). At least with the Maclan you can be competitive at any club's class that uses a 25.5 motor. All that for $9.00 more.
Nice try Jesses I thought this ideal is saving and close Racing and cheaper and no end bell timing plus can’t cheat

Last edited by OVA; 03-19-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:36 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

What ever
Old 03-19-2018, 11:37 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Old 03-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OVA
Nice try Jesses I thought this ideal is saving and close Racing and cheaper and no end bell timing plus can’t cheat
Doesn't really matter what you'll want to do with timing, etc., the fdr will take care of any "cheating" going on. It's scale spec man, just run it and have fun.

If someone feels the need to "cheat" in scale spec, good on them, I suppose. Whatever makes them feel better about themselves. I race to have fun.
It's club racing.

FYI: I've yet to see anyone actually cheat in scale spec, only people complain about it.

My .02
Old 03-19-2018, 11:51 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Default ....

[QUOTE=cementsurfer86;15187177]Doesn't really matter what you'll want to do with timing, etc., the fdr will take care of any "cheating" going on. It's scale spec man, just run it and have fun.

If someone feels the need to "cheat" in scale spec, good on them, I suppose. Whatever makes them feel better about themselves. I race to have fun.
It's club racing.

FYI: I've yet to see anyone actually cheat in scale spec, only people complain about i

Look I am not complaining about the people who is cheating and I don’t care if they want cheat fine and I will drive and tune my car For better
I just don’t care for Maclan product that’s the bottom line
I am done with this BS
Old 03-19-2018, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Franko,

We gave a lot of consideration to the low-cost, fixed-endbell option you suggest (we were looking at the Hobbywings and Reedys, among others). We saw the same virtues you are calling out: low cost and availability from reputable vendors.

Our concerns were that it would leave our racers on an island of relatively low performance if and when they travel, which would realistically mean having to spend for another motor to be competitive. Also, while fixed-endbell motors are generally solid, there's no way to eliminate manufacturing differences; even a 2-3% difference in timing can result in a handful of seconds on track, which matter when we've had finishes in qualifying and mains separated by thousandths.

That said, the budget aspect is compelling, and were it not for Maclan's willingness to work with us so we can turn around a premium motor to our racers at a fantastic price, we might have gone that way.

But, as is, we're talking a $9 price difference (to the HobbyKing you suggest), and while I respect and am motivated to meet all of our racers at their budget, that's getting right down there, don't you think?

Finally, I think we all try to have fun racing, whether it's Scale Spec or Modified 1/12th. But let me stand up for Scale Spec by saying it's a high quality class where guys try their best to win. People take it seriously. We're trying our best to honor their effort while also keeping true to some of the budget and performance points that give the class its character.
R3VoLuTiOn likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.