Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30 >

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Like Tree369Likes

Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30

Old 03-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Can't say I like the FDR limit, but it does definitely even things out when combined with the deal on the Maclan motor. Put me down for one

I predict RRR will be 21.5 next summer as well, with OGR to consider at this point.

Thanks SRCR!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:07 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
Can't say I like the FDR limit, but it does definitely even things out when combined with the deal on the Maclan motor. Put me down for one

I predict RRR will be 21.5 next summer as well, with OGR to consider at this point.

Thanks SRCR!
I would have to agree FDR limit..No matter what motor you buy the FDR limit is the way to go..if this doesnt works than go plan B with the 60.00 motor
Old 03-15-2018, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
I would have to agree FDR limit..No matter what motor you buy the FDR limit is the way to go..if this doesnt works than go plan B with the 60.00 motor
Franko,

Its FDR limit AND spec motor come this fall, not one or the other. So plan A and “B” combined .

So it’s more spec than ever, which should keep racing closer and at a low cost of entry , and it should stay competitive ongoing. Imho, its value is it takes the guess work out of which motor to buy and the motor is easily half the cost to start too. Less (o)pinions too, with the fdr limit ;-)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:37 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Franko,

Its FDR limit AND spec motor come this fall, not one or the other. So plan A and “B” combined .

So it’s more spec than ever, which should keep racing closer and at a low cost of entry , and it should stay competitive ongoing. Imho, its value is it takes the guess work out of which motor to buy and the motor is easily half the cost to start too. Less (o)pinions too, with the fdr limit ;-)
Sorry I didnt make out to the meeting lastnite
you have to understand there is a lot of new 25.5 motor came out last year and people brought them their choice...now next carpet season they become illegal Just perfect. Really it isnt fair for those who spend over hundred dollar and cant use them for next season.. the 21.5 motor no big deal..
...if this going to be So called ROAR rules..Scale Spec isn't roar class..I rather see VTA or USGT per Roar class.

just my .02

Last edited by OVA; 03-15-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Unhappy

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
A quick summary of the major specs and rules changes discussed at last night's club meeting.

Scale Spec: to take effect at the start of our 2018/2019 indoor season, we are moving to a single-make 25.5 brushless motor for the class. The club is batch buying motors from Maclan and reselling to clubbies for $60. That’s $60 for a premium motor and a major savings for our racers. In addition to the motor, we will also be introducing a maximum rollout which is easily and quickly tech’d on a rollout board trackside. It will correspond to a target FDR limit, but we are of course aware of variations in tire and pulley diameters, inadvertent or otherwise, that may contribute to slight differences in power and RPM at the contact patches. So, an FDR limit is a convenient way to think of it, but be aware that the actual tech will be on a rollout board.

Stock Touring: to take effect at the start of our 2018/2019 indoor season, we are moving to ROAR-approved 21.5 motors for the class.

Tamiya Euro Truck: we will offer the class this outdoor season at Seatac R/C Raceway. TCS rules will apply.

I think this a dumb Idea especially with 25.5 all being built with tight specs.
Now having to buy a motor to race at one club kills it for me and others.. Scale Spec was great the way it was. As well there shouldn't be a FDR set.. Your taking tuning out..
GL73MAN likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
Sorry I didnt make out to the meeting lastnite
you have to understand there is a lot of new 25.5 motor came out last year and people brought them their choice...now next carpet season they become illegal Just perfect. Really it isnt fair for those who spend over hundred dollar and cant use them for next season.. the 21.5 motor no big deal..
...if this going to be So called ROAR rules..Scale Spec isn't roar class..I rather see VTA or USGT per Roar class.

just my .02
I suppose selling them on eBay would go towards the $60 motor. Or did you or others buy multiple brand motors trying to find what works best ?!?!? :-(

Last edited by Magnet Top; 03-15-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Franko,

I can assure you we are and were keenly aware that racers have before now purchased motors for Scale Spec. Candidly, it was a very difficult decision that we beat to death over the course of long email chains, many talks ahead of time, and finally an all-in debate battle on the night of the comp committee meeting. There were racers lobbying for immediate limits, and racers arguing against any at all.

We know people have spent money. And we know people have to spend more money, or new money, to get compliant. That's always the case, isn't it? And it's always the case against adopting new rules that limit future spending--invariably, equipment purchased prior to the change is rendered obsolete. It's also how we get stuck, frozen in the headlights as it were, of our own past actions and sunk costs.

Had we not secured supply of a high quality motor at a favorable price, which gives us the ability to pass on outstanding savings to our racers, I would not have supported the move. But going forward, we behold the happy prospect of underworking a premium motor, which I believe will result in a long, long service life. And, I hope, new racers will see the value in it and jump in, freed from the prospect of an ever-spiraling motor war, for ever-diminishing returns, at ever-rising costs. That's not the right thing for Scale Spec. We have Stock Touring and Stock 1/12th for the motor pounders.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:32 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
I suppose selling them on eBay would go towards the $60 motor. Or did you or others buy multiple brand motors trying to find what works best ?!?!? :-(
for your answer is yes I did purchased multiple brands motors..
two years old Team Scream still today is my yes and R1 is fast taller gearing motor ,..my old Novak still running strong fast..Orca is high RPM fast as my TS...Maclan is smooth but okay not my style power band. new Reedy unknow

Jake most people are happy with their motor they brought..why take it way...
Old 03-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedxl
I think this a dumb Idea especially with 25.5 all being built with tight specs.
Now having to buy a motor to race at one club kills it for me and others.. Scale Spec was great the way it was. As well there shouldn't be a FDR set.. Your taking tuning out..
Hey Speed,

I see you are unhappy, and that bums me out. I have no easy way to placate you, as I believe we are making a good move for the long term. I am also very aware that Rose City adopted our rules. We thought of you, and our friends up at NORA, when we were debating the change.

The motor we have selected is a good motor and will travel well to your club when we come to visit. We won't be at a disadvantage. For the return leg, should you come to visit, I plan to hold back a couple motors for nightly loan. Running with a restricted FDR, the motors will never go through hard heat cycles, so they should be A-OK.

I believe this sport has room to grow, and we are trying to make good decisions for the next new racer. Scale Spec is so valuable to us, and perhaps to you? because it is a special class that makes room for intermediate racers and gives them a place to race with veterans at safe speeds. We have offered it for the past nine years, and it has provided literally thousands of laps of great racing. It's high skill, low speed competition.

Like all spec classes, we have watched it creep up in speed from season to season. The guys who have been with it for awhile have adapted and are probably enjoying it. But, I think we have to step back and see it with fresh eyes. It has become a motor-intensive affair, and it's gotten really quite quick, especially as batteries have improved and the weight has been lowered. Find a video of mid-2000s Stock TC and I think you would agree that your modern Scale Spec car would lap the field.

The Seattle RC Racers are on your side, I hope you know that. We're trying to find the right way.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:53 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Hey Franko,

I can assure you we are and were keenly aware that racers have before now purchased motors for Scale Spec. Candidly, it was a very difficult decision that we beat to death over the course of long email chains, many talks ahead of time, and finally an all-in debate battle on the night of the comp committee meeting. There were racers lobbying for immediate limits, and racers arguing against any at all.

We know people have spent money. And we know people have to spend more money, or new money, to get compliant. That's always the case, isn't it? And it's always the case against adopting new rules that limit future spending--invariably, equipment purchased prior to the change is rendered obsolete. It's also how we get stuck, frozen in the headlights as it were, of our own past actions and sunk costs.

Had we not secured supply of a high quality motor at a favorable price, which gives us the ability to pass on outstanding savings to our racers, I would not have supported the move. But going forward, we behold the happy prospect of underworking a premium motor, which I believe will result in a long, long service life. And, I hope, new racers will see the value in it and jump in, freed from the prospect of an ever-spiraling motor war, for ever-diminishing returns, at ever-rising costs. That's not the right thing for Scale Spec. We have Stock Touring and Stock 1/12th for the motor pounders.
Hey Todd
I know you doing your best...No matter what ,there are some racer who just can't stand to loose and like to blame the motor of the month..
speedxl likes this.

Last edited by OVA; 03-15-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Speed,

I see you are unhappy, and that bums me out. I have no easy way to placate you, as I believe we are making a good move for the long term. I am also very aware that Rose City adopted our rules. We thought of you, and our friends up at NORA, when we were debating the change.

The motor we have selected is a good motor and will travel well to your club when we come to visit. We won't be at a disadvantage. For the return leg, should you come to visit, I plan to hold back a couple motors for nightly loan. Running with a restricted FDR, the motors will never go through hard heat cycles, so they should be A-OK.

I believe this sport has room to grow, and we are trying to make good decisions for the next new racer. Scale Spec is so valuable to us, and perhaps to you? because it is a special class that makes room for intermediate racers and gives them a place to race with veterans at safe speeds. We have offered it for the past nine years, and it has provided literally thousands of laps of great racing. It's high skill, low speed competition.

Like all spec classes, we have watched it creep up in speed from season to season. The guys who have been with it for awhile have adapted and are probably enjoying it. But, I think we have to step back and see it with fresh eyes. It has become a motor-intensive affair, and it's gotten really quite quick, especially as batteries have improved and the weight has been lowered. Find a video of mid-2000s Stock TC and I think you would agree that your modern Scale Spec car would lap the field.

The Seattle RC Racers are on your side, I hope you know that. We're trying to find the right way.
I know some thought went into this .. Todd the loaners help... Thanks.

Last edited by speedxl; 03-15-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Felt like it.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:27 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

I know some thought went into this .. Todd the loaners help... Thanks.
you know I always thought the Scale Spec was to win or loose fun class and some how someone got too serious and started to blame other motor are too fast
thats pretty sad

btw like Todd said before this is national level class...not just for beginner
speedxl likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For me ... I would love to take motor tuning out of the equation and just focus on chassis tuning.

I know it would never happen but I wouldn’t mind fixed fdr for normal stock sedan.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by malkiy
For me ... I would love to take motor tuning out of the equation and just focus on chassis tuning.

I know it would never happen but I wouldn’t mind fixed fdr for normal stock sedan.

Thats a part of racing that you shouldnt keep out. Racers should Learn how to tune a motor. Those that know took their time to learn and try things to go faster.

Malkiy .... a FDR lock out for Stock.. lol.. You get that next year in scale spec. Leave stock alone.

World Champion Participation Trophies.. Soon enough..
Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Thats a part of racing that you shouldnt keep out. Racers should Learn how to tune a motor. Those that know took their time to learn and try things to go faster.

Malkiy .... a FDR lock out for Stock.. lol.. You get that next year in scale spec. Leave stock alone.

World Champion Participation Trophies.. Soon enough..
Hey Bud
When you get a chance to come up Seattle racing in SS dont forget to ask Mike Boyle what is the Maclan secret timing and gearing so you can go as fast as him. Kody K TQ in Scale Spec his new Orca esc /25.5 in my Awesomtix and Mr Mike Boyle get the full credit ,

Last edited by OVA; 03-15-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.