Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by David Joor
Typically I don't adjust the droop once it is set. I have found that the car generally feels the same with default droop and making sure the ride height is the same each time out. I start my tires at 61 and 63 and run them down to 56.5 and do a new set.

I am trying to picture what is happening with regards to droop, gonna go do an uptravel test right now with different size tires to test this out, because honestly I can't tell if it effects it or not. BBL.
I change my droop according to every 1mm difference I have in tire size.. As tire size goes down I decrease droop.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

So it's accurate to say, that as we raise ride height according to tire size, we should increase the available downtravel. Did I state this correctly?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Uptravel is directly associated to the diameter of your tire. So we all know that the general area is 1 droop in front with 5 in the back with a tire size of 59mm front with 61mm rear for qualifying. If this is what feels best for you than would want to adjust your droop each time you run on that set of tires. Say your tires wear 1mm in the first qualifier, this is hypothetical, if you are wearing that much your setup is off and you are pushing too much but that is beside the point. So back to the point, if the tire is worn 1mm from your general droop settings, you would need to reset your ride height and decrease droop .5mm (half of the tire wear because of mathematics), this will allow your car to fell relatively close to your general settings.

Personally I don't do this, my tires never vary that much in size except in a main and in practice I could care less. In a 30 minute main this weekend I was turning the same laps in the beginning as I was at the end, and the fronts wore 2.5mm and the rears wore 3.75mm. I think people would be better off tuning driving skills to handle changes than getting so tied up in the droop setting every run, unless all you do is wrench and someone else drives, than I could see that, or maybe at a national, but you should be running a new set of tires every run at a level of competition such as that.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

I thought the only thing that changes during a run is tire diameter and ride height, although droop seems like it is changing it is not.

David, how do you measure your Droop for the car, measurement under the steering block or by using uptravel? It seems like measuring the distance under the steering block is inconsistent with different tire sizes.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get this car to steer more? Im running the stock setup with 50,000 oil in the rear with 37fronts 40 rears and still dont have any steering.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How much toe are you running in the front? I usually run about 1 out. also i run 1-2 degrees of camber. you could also try running a little more caster. slightly larger front tires. there are a lot of things to try. just remember try only 1 change at a time, if it doesnt work, change it back and change something else. when you make changes dont run more than 5 laps or so if yuo dont like the change. there is no point of running the car for 5 minutes if it still isnt handling as you like it. good luck and have fun.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks i will try more toe out and more caster.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

How do you change the caster on the MTX-3?
Old 06-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by David Joor
I think people would be better off tuning driving skills to handle changes than getting so tied up in the droop setting every run, unless all you do is wrench and someone else drives, than I could see that, or maybe at a national, but you should be running a new set of tires every run at a level of competition such as that.
I recently just started to do this. You are right in the fact other areas such as driving but since I feel my skills have increased the little extra that goes into turning the 4 droop screws was worth the effort. I found the car is consistent and that keeps my times closer.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by alucard13
How do you change the caster on the MTX-3?
The castor clips on the upper hingepin on the front.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Default They lurk in here ...

They lurk in here from time to time ...

Sometimes they even post something here ...

Now go see them in action ... part 1 will be up in a couple of hours. The rest coming every other day ...

Naturally, they're faster than me ... well, some of them.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

How far down do you sand the brake pads?
Old 06-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Johnnytc3
I thought the only thing that changes during a run is tire diameter and ride height, although droop seems like it is changing it is not.

David, how do you measure your Droop for the car, measurement under the steering block or by using uptravel? It seems like measuring the distance under the steering block is inconsistent with different tire sizes.
I have done both ways, using uptravel as measurement on carpet but I use droop in nitro. Uptravel is pretty much the best way to measure things, when you set your droop at say 1 in the front, ride height set to 5mm and have a 57mm tire on, the uptravel is about 1mm to 1.5mm. If the tire is 62mm though the uptravel is 3.5mm and this is really what makes the car react differently. Having more uptravel will allow that end to roll more and ultimately generate more traction. Than you also add in the fact that you have tall tires that allow them to roll more on the edge to generate even more traction.

In carpet we don't have this huge of a tire wear problem so this is all new to me. We typically set the front to have 0 to 1mm uptravel and the rear to about 1.5mm uptravel because it is all about quick reacting cars on such small tracks and high levels of traction. Nitro on the other hand is a different animal because tire wear is such a concern. So I am learning this stuff with the bunch of you guys as well. That is why I haven't messed with the droop settings yet per run. I will have to give it a try. All I know is that the MTX3 is by far the best car I have gotten the pleasure to run.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

That brings up another question, my brakes stick slightly, should I just add springs to the pads to let them unstick? It is very slight but it is there.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

For the Prospec do you have to sand the brakes? The brakes feel rubberie and don't seem like they can be sanded. if i so, how far half way down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.