Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Can I race a HPI RS4 -3 in todays world? >

Can I race a HPI RS4 -3 in todays world?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I race a HPI RS4 -3 in todays world?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Can I race a HPI RS4 -3 in todays world?

I am a newbie but would like to try out racing with my current car(s).

Would I survive in novice races with either an HPI RS4-3 1/10 nitro or OFNA Ultra MBX Pro 1/8 nitro buggy?

Both have Airtronics/Blazer radios and are near stock.

Are these too dated or will they hold up fine with today's "race cars".

Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you can get the hang of driving, any car will b able to compete in a novice class......key to novice is finishing the race!! I would say practice practice practice, get familiar with setting up a race car and practice! Then when some local fast guy tells you "you should get a race kit" that's when U'll kno your ready to step up.....reason is your hpi will lack the clutch and car adjustability that u will need to really go fast!! i.e not being able to adjust rollcenter, droop, and just the overall design of the car having a really high center of gravity will hurt you if you attempt to use hpi at pro level........
Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Lord

At some clubs there is an open RTR class which could be suitable for you. Here in Holland the Kyosho cup starters class is open for every original RTR car.

The RS4 with foam tires, a good engine and some optional parts like turnbuckles for playing with the setup is able to give some good performance in the hands of a good driver but at the end it will not be competive enough.

For a good cheap competive car you should take a look to the Xray NT1R

Running a RTR buggy with some good tiyers and maybe a better shock setup you have more chance to be competive because with offroad the driver is the most important factor to control the car.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

+1 on the nt1r.........u can upgrade as you progress! To a full blown race kit........but ur question was can i survive with my current cars? Yes n novice, no problem.......but don't put a whole lot of money into either, cause when u sit back and do the math, u will b mad that you didn't just sale those n get race kits!! We've all done it!!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver
...but ur question was can i survive with my current cars? Yes n novice, no problem.......but don't put a whole lot of money into either...
+1
Keep it on the black stuff, enjoy the learning experience and hold off changing cars until your deviation drops to less than 1 second over a 5 minute heat. Save what money you have for future investment and make the most of what you have.

I am certain that many of us around the world would enjoy your company more with entry level cars and helping you along the way than if someone were to buy a complete race kit as a novice and not enjoy themselves.

It takes time, experience and wise decisions.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blis
+1
Keep it on the black stuff, enjoy the learning experience and hold off changing cars until your deviation drops to less than 1 second over a 5 minute heat. Save what money you have for future investment and make the most of what you have.

I am certain that many of us around the world would enjoy your company more with entry level cars and helping you along the way than if someone were to buy a complete race kit as a novice and not enjoy themselves.

It takes time, experience and wise decisions.
Excuse me wise man, can i have this printed and framed to put on my wall at home? I need to remind myself of this regularly to keep it fun and bring back the smile while on the drivers stand

Andrew
Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Excuse me wise man, can i have this printed and framed to put on my wall at home? I need to remind myself of this regularly to keep it fun and bring back the smile while on the drivers stand

Andrew
No you can't, you have exceeded your NOVICE status. You got any radio gear for this RED chassis sitting here waiting for you? We need to catch up, I am on afternoon shifts for a few weeks.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

back in 2000 i bought my first nitro car, a nitro rs4 2. i learned all about hobby grade rc and nitro with that car, and when i was ready, i learned to race with it too. i spent a lot of time learning to drive, what tire setups worked, how to gear the car correctly, chassis setup, and the biggest, what makes some cars better than others. i got to the point where my laps were consistent and i was doing not too bad overall, but the car was clearly lacking. not having the money to spend on a race bred kit i custom built the rs4. i got the weight down as low as i could in the car, and as centered as possible. this required an rc10 fuel tank, mounted in the center of the chassis, reconfiguring the belt setup, making a new top chassis plate, and i stiffened up the car with braces where i could. i never really left the car alone, was always tweaking and coming up with the next thing to make it better. it worked quite well, i did win a couple races, could finish near the top consistently. took a lot of work to do it though, it became so much easier when i bought my nitro tc3.

so here is what i can pass on from racing a nitro rs4, even despite being a different generation of car

-there is a lot of slop in the suspension, do what you can to tighten it up. ive gone as far as putting set screws in the control arms or knuckles to take up the slop (forces the hing pin to pivot in the bulkhead).
-the diffs, although not sealed, can be filled with ofna diff lock lube. use different amounts to get different feel. the diff lock was the only thing that wouldnt leak out within a week.
-get some decent chassis setup stuff. this will move with you as you grow, so its not wasting money on the car. the MIP tweak station was the best tool i ever bought for this car.
-the chassis is quite weak and will bend very easily, corner dots and boards are this cars worst enemy. by the end of my cars racing life i was pulling the car right down after every track night to straighten the chassis. keep an eye on it because it causes a lot of handling problems.
-adjustable shocks make a big difference in setup, however if your not wanting to spend a pile on them, get a set of springs (should have a selection anyways), shock oil, and lots of spring spacers.

the rs4 isnt such a bad car to start racing with. one thing about the flexy, sloppy chassis and suspension is it will soak up a lot of mistakes. id say go race is, see how you like racing, get a good idea on how it all works, then see if you want to spend the coin on a race bred kit.