Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2nd gear help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 2nd gear help

hey im new to the on road phase here, im not new to rc just new to onroad. i wanted to get into the onroad phase so i bought a rs4 from a buddy of mine. now im pretty sure its all stock, i only added a tune pipe instead of that dumb plastic one, and my motor is on the right side not the left, if your looking at it from the back. now i dont know if my car goes into second gear, shouldnt i be able to hear some kind of engine change or something?, when would it shift?, it seems like maybe i it 30 mph, if that.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Answer:

Hi, almost all the on road cars have the same 2 speed function first you want to make sure you have the same manual clutch spring setting so the clutch will surely engage and hit 2nd gear when ready from adjusting the clutch get the car in your hand and accelerate slowly until you will hear the gear change and from there you can adjust accordingly to your style)

Last edited by v one rrr power; 10-15-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: answer:
Old 10-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 2 SPEED

[QUOTE=gt fast;8076894]hey im new to the on road phase here, im not new to rc just new to onroad. i wanted to get into the onroad phase so i bought a rs4 from a buddy of mine. now im pretty sure its all stock, i only added a tune pipe instead of that dumb plastic one, and my motor is on the right side not the left, if your looking at it from the back. now i dont know if my car goes into second gear, shouldnt i be able to hear some kind of engine change or something?, when would it shift?, it seems like maybe i it 30 mph, if that.[/QUOTE

There are quite a few things that will prevent your car from shifting into 2nd gear.
I will list the most common first

<1> If your two speed shoes are not adjusted correctly. Remove the spur gears, and you will see the 2 speed shoes. There are two small recessed screws<1 each side> that may be out of adjustment. Use your hex tool and back out each screw approx. 1 to 1 1/2 turns each. They need to be adjusted equally. Replace the spur gears, start the car and hold it off the ground and throttle it up. You will hear the 2 speed engage, and maybe even feel the car jerk a little bit. If not, remove the spur gears, and back off the screws again. It usually does not take much to adjust the 2 speed. Retart the car, and try it again.
<2> Make sure the spur gears are not stripped, and the gear mesh is correct
<3> Another problem could be the engine is running too rich. If the engine is not tuned correctly,and running rich, the engine will not reach the correct RPM for the 2 speed to engage. Make sure the engine tune is correct after the engine warms up.
<4> If the carb is not sealed correctly at the base, or you have a fuel line leak, or fuel tank lid not sealed, you will be running the engine too lean.
There are a few more items that will prevent the 2 speed from engaging, but these are the first things you should check
Old 10-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok thanks a lot. now i got a second question. what motor would be better for this car. i have a .15 team associated motr that came stock on my rc10gt, and i also have the stock .15 from the hpi, im trying toi figure out which on e produces more power. i would like to have as much top end as possible with this car, so please help.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

Check out www.RCDocument.com, look up RS4 3 18ss manual. Section A steps 3,4, & 5 will help you. Scoll document till you your model of RS4's
Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok so the car does shift gears, it just happens within maybe 7 feet from a dead stop, doesnt matter if im 1/4-full throttle, it still shifts. i noticed that the two spurs are really loose, like noticably loose. i took the little cover off the top and think that maybe im missing this screw that goes onto the gears shaft? if you look at the tranny from the top, spurs are on your right now, just to the left of the spurs it looks like it would be a set screw to hold the gears to the actually running shaft off the tranny spline. could that be a issue, and how can i make the car shift a little harsher, later. is it possible to make it shift where others noticably hear it shift?. thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gt fast
ok so the car does shift gears, it just happens within maybe 7 feet from a dead stop, doesnt matter if im 1/4-full throttle, it still shifts. i noticed that the two spurs are really loose, like noticably loose. i took the little cover off the top and think that maybe im missing this screw that goes onto the gears shaft? if you look at the tranny from the top, spurs are on your right now, just to the left of the spurs it looks like it would be a set screw to hold the gears to the actually running shaft off the tranny spline. could that be a issue, and how can i make the car shift a little harsher, later. is it possible to make it shift where others noticably hear it shift?. thanks
You tighten the 2 speed clutch to hold it together longer right? So your 2speed clutch is too loose.

Thing to remember, it's based on RPM. If you simply changed a pinion or spur to a lower ratio it would kick later. Also if gearing and tyre ratio is short it impacts the change as well.

Best be precise with it, remove it and clean and reassemble symmetrically. Tighten 2 speed until you can just pry it apart by holding it and trying to open it. Ensure the centre shaft isnt slack or overtightened either.

Its RPM / Centrifugal. Not power related, while a rich engine doesnt help, theres a point where leaning up the engine to provide more power and higher RPM doesn't work and your engine starves and fries itself into a sudden death!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gt fast
i only added a tune pipe instead of that dumb plastic one, it seems like maybe i it 30 mph,
This tells me the new pipe did change the setting of the engine which is highly possible, the backprassure differs from pipe to pipe and is actualy your fuel pump.

How did it shift and run before the change of the pipe?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

i figured it out. i am actually missing both the springs inside the shift area. one has a spring with a ball at the bottom and a set screw its gone and the other hole is just a set screw it is gone as well. so theres my problem.