Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it? >

Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just skimmed through the ROAR rule book and didn't see the restriction on underbody aerodynamic devices. I know it used to be there but it looks like it's gone.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Just skimmed through the ROAR rule book and didn't see the restriction on underbody aerodynamic devices. I know it used to be there but it looks like it's gone.
Cool! I've done a quick update to the rear splitter for testing in the morning. Its just stuck on for now, but the final pieces will be one piece. The inner fins are shapped the way they are to allow to be scrubbed off to the maximum size they can be, so they look that way for a reason. The same treatment has been taken to the front, but what I found just playing in the driveway is that I lost steering, as the front didn't want to turn as well with "rudders" under the front A-arms, so I am going to work on something that attaches to the the front steering uprights to turn with the car.

Last edited by rcfoolz; 05-25-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:30 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Touch a high speed curb, and your car will certainly start flying....
Old 05-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M7H
Touch a high speed curb, and your car will certainly start flying....
Any car hitting a high speed curb will go flying

Today I did some testing and to make the test as fair as possible, I had 4 sets of tires all cut to the same diameter, same shore and brand so that I could get a true result of doing the test.

TEST RESULTS:
The results were not totaly what I was expecting. First, I put the car on the track and drove it like would normaly, and I found that an On-throttle push at medium to high speeds was preventing me from running as fast as I would have liked. This led me to believe that the front A-arm difusers were preventing the car from turning so I removed them. With them removed, it was MUCH better, the car was diving into the corner and the rear of the car felt different, I can't realy explain it, but If I said the car felt like it was sliding to the inside of the turn, it was a wierd feeling at first. So I trimmed off just a bit of the rear diffuser fins (about 1mm) and that made the car much better. I noticed that the car was turning better and I could get back on throttle way before the apex of the turn. With my buddy there, I allowed him to drive the car and he was very pleased with the way the car handled. I took tire data as to how much I had rubbed off and set that to the side.

Next,I removed the diffusers all together and ran the car in stock form. I instantly noticed that the rear of the car was sliding all over the place, I thought it was me. I handed the controller to my buddy and let him drive it. He confirmed that the car was VERY VERY LOOSE! Running the same amount of time, 1 tank of fuel, returned to the pits and took tire data again. WOW...almost 3 times as much tire wear!

Third test, I put the rear diffusers back put set 1 of tires on and ran qualifier #1. The car was very good.

Second qualifier I put set of tires #2 on and ran that without the rear diffuser. The car was within 1 second of the previous qualifier. and the car was all over the place. Checked tire wear from set 1 & 2 and found about twice as much tire wear on set 2....ALSO ON THIS RUN, I INSTALLED THE REAR DIFFUSERS ON ANOTHER RACERS CAR...HE DID NOT WANT TO GIVE THEM BACK. IT FIXED HIS CARS LOOSE CONDITION AND TIGHTENED IT UP A LOT.

3rd qualifier, I got the diffusers back and put them on but trimmed off about another 1/2mm and put tire set 3 on. Again, the car was much better, the rear remained planted but it turned even better. Again tire wear was reduced, but this time I had ran almost 6 seconds faster that the previous 2 runs.

The Results are: It may help lap times a little, maybe 2 or 3 tenths of a second, but the major bennifit is that tire wear is substantialy reduced, you can get back on throttle sooner, have less tire wear and have a more stable car. I started the main with 57mm fronts and 58mm rears. Ran a 15min main, and came in with 56.1mm rears (don't remember the fronts) while the buddy that ran the diffusers went out with 61mm rears and came in smaller than what I had remaining on my car.

SO, Does it work? Yes
Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Good work Foolz so when can I expect my diffuser.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Champion

You should patent the lexan aerodynamics diffuser or lexan ground effect diffuser before protoform read this . That's great idea james. I think the diffuser sells for some techy drivers as early adopters, and more sales if it proven to be correct.

The problem with diffuser, if this person win the race, other racers might look at him with "one eye". Thinking the winning car was somehow cheating with diffuser things. That's I can't help to explain.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:23 AM
Tech Elite

thanks guys..........I kind of had that "one eye" look yesterday.

The diffuser is not for every racer. It is intended to be used as a driver option to aid in better handling under certain conditions. Any device that is used can also have a negative effect. The test was done on a track that was not "high" bite conditions, and when I am able to run at a "high" bite track, I will post my results at that time.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:31 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by asw7576
You should patent the lexan aerodynamics diffuser or lexan ground effect diffuser before protoform read this . That's great idea james. I think the diffuser sells for some techy drivers as early adopters, and more sales if it proven to be correct.
In the time of the Serpent Impulse/Impact2 Serpent already had a lexan diffuser kit.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

I am sure there are many others that have done this. Here are some others: all for the F1 type cars, even the last on is the one listed for the F1/impact car. I don't know why this hasn't been explored more in depth and someone hadn't produced a kit. although that would be my intention.

on an F1 car:

one for the F103

The one Serpent has listed:

M
Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

This is a nice idea, thank you rcfoolz!

Here we have 1 hour finals at nationals, so I have to reduce tire wear on my nt1... like most racers around here.

Do you mind sharing some detailed pictures how you made it and mounted?

Thanks...
Old 05-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm no expert, but having just a rear diffuser does not create ground effects. You have to have "tunnels" under the chassis to capture the air to be diffused. Look at pictures of full size race cars that have ground effects.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

The low pressure area in the "tunnels" is where the car is sucked down onto the track.
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
I'm no expert, but having just a rear diffuser does not create ground effects. You have to have "tunnels" under the chassis to capture the air to be diffused. Look at pictures of full size race cars that have ground effects.
Attached Thumbnails Performance question: Under chassis aero package....Is it worth it?-lotus79b.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
Those "tunnels" are just more diffusers. As long as air is moving under the car, a diffuser should work though a full underbody treatment would be much more effective.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

ok i will be ordering two set of those who much?? keep it going rcfoolz, this is great!!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
Those "tunnels" are just more diffusers. As long as air is moving under the car, a diffuser should work though a full underbody treatment would be much more effective.
Adding a rear diffuser will do nothing to the handling of the car, the air under the chassis must be controlled to create a low pressure zone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.