Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MTX 5

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
It would perhaps also be good if the front belt and diff was a little easier to get to; to speed up replacements of broken belts in my view.
the belt maintenance is a little difficult, maybe the new car will be more acesible in the rear and front belt point of view!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default belts

Originally Posted by JRGTR
the belt maintenance is a little difficult, maybe the new car will be more acesible in the rear and front belt point of view!
Hey maybe its just me ,i race every weekend and i dont seem to go through many belts.
I use urethane front and rear and rubber on the side and replace the pulleys after every 2-3 race days and the belts maybe every 6 race days
Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

I to was stripping 2nd gear only to find out my clutchbell waswas warped so actually never had an issue its a mugen the only issue is me the car is outstanding
Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default mugen

Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
I to was stripping 2nd gear only to find out my clutchbell waswas warped so actually never had an issue its a mugen the only issue is me the car is outstanding
There is a conversion for the 2speed if anyone has probs wiyh stripping 2nd.replace the 2mm grub screw and ball wiyh a 4mm and no ball and it works great.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I brought up the second gear stripping issue because I have experienced it myself. When I had the MTX3 with the 1.0 pitch gears, not a problem. When I switched to the 0.8 pitched gears, started to have the stripping problem. It has been an issue with my MTX4 as well. One of the issues is that the bearings in the two-speed housing are not top quality and will seize up over time. Change those to Avid, Boca, or ceramic bearing and that will fix that issue. But when the mesh is perfect and the bearing are not the issue, why is it still stripping? It is because there is still some flex in the chassis that is coming from the side-belt side of the car. You even have some with the 4mm chassis. Talking with some other Mugen drivers, stiffen that side and the flex causing the stripping stops. YBslow make a fix for it but good luck getting it (website always show out of stock).

I will be getting the new car regardless but would like to see Mugen address that issue.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ballistik Mods
There is a conversion for the 2speed if anyone has probs wiyh stripping 2nd.replace the 2mm grub screw and ball wiyh a 4mm and no ball and it works great.
This conversion does not eliminate stripping gear problem.

The stripping gear problems in mtx4 might occur due to several problems : clutch bell is touching the 2speed gear housing, 2speed gear housing is touching the bar stiffener at engine bay, some flexes at rear bulkheads, poor bearings maintenance ( the steel shaft become very hot due to friction of one way bearing, and shaft bearings. Probably the heat deform the plastic spur gear ). There are number of solutions offered in mtx4 thread forum and nitrokb

Back to topic, this conversion only simplify the design of 2 speed shoes, thus you eliminate 3mm balls completely. Here are the real benefits from using grub screws instead of balls : the 2 speed shoes will not ever jammed and they will last long time. Once a year I tuned the grub screw position.

Actually you need 9mm long grub screw ( grind it from 10mm grub screw ). 4mm is too short.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ballistik Mods
Hey maybe its just me ,i race every weekend and i dont seem to go through many belts.
I use urethane front and rear and rubber on the side and replace the pulleys after every 2-3 race days and the belts maybe every 6 race days
I agree that belts lasts a long time usually; particularly front and rear belts. However; even brand new belts break if the belt for example picks up a minuscule peace of broken glass, or a pebble. I have seen this happen many times, and the problem is not isolated to Mugen; only last week I witnessed a car (Kyosho this time) loose a new front belt in the first heat in a big event.

I have also been in a race meeting (in my club) where four gas cars, came back without front or rear belts in the first couple of heats after an attack by vandals, where we had to pick up broken glass everywhere on the track before racing could start. The guy that had a TM G4 replaced his front belt in no time, while it took twice as long with an MTX4.

I was simply trying to point out that the job of replacing a belt during a race meeting, could perhaps be made a little more user-friendly in a new design.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asw7576
This conversion does not eliminate stripping gear problem.

The stripping gear problems in mtx4 might occur due to several problems : clutch bell is touching the 2speed gear housing, 2speed gear housing is touching the bar stiffener at engine bay, some flexes at rear bulkheads, poor bearings maintenance ( the steel shaft become very hot due to friction of one way bearing, and shaft bearings. Probably the heat deform the plastic spur gear ). There are number of solutions offered in mtx4 thread forum and nitrokb

Back to topic, this conversion only simplify the design of 2 speed shoes, thus you eliminate 3mm balls completely. Here are the real benefits from using grub screws instead of balls : the 2 speed shoes will not ever jammed and they will last long time. Once a year I tuned the grub screw position.

Actually you need 9mm long grub screw ( grind it from 10mm grub screw ). 4mm is too short.
The 4mm grub screw i mentioned is 4mm wide not 4mm in length.
the conversion dose work the last time i stripped a 2nd gear was due to me ridding over a ripple strip.this conversion was handed down by a factory mugen driver .
I do agree with some of the points you have listed above but that falls into the regular servicing area
Old 03-26-2010, 03:22 AM
Tech Champion

okie dokie
Old 03-26-2010, 04:09 AM
Tech Adept

Default valid points

Originally Posted by asw7576
okie dokie
Sorry dude you had alot of valid points.but that mod did solve my dramas.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

When is Mugen going to release the CAD pics to give us a sneak peak???
Old 03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
When is Mugen going to release the CAD pics to give us a sneak peak???
Mugen is very secretly when it comes to that. No one has even the slightest clue that a new car/CAD coming out until it reaches Forums/RedRC by their own hand.

You will never see a "spy" glimpse of the car or stolen CAD images nor anything like that.

Its not like other cars in which, I had already seen CAD images 5-6 months before their official release (of the CAD models).
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Riketsu
Mugen is very secretly when it comes to that. No one has even the slightest clue that a new car/CAD coming out until it reaches Forums/RedRC by their own hand.

You will never see a "spy" glimpse of the car or stolen CAD images nor anything like that.

Its not like other cars in which, I had already seen CAD images 5-6 months before their official release (of the CAD models).
Well, when they came out with the MTX-4, the CAD pics where out at least a couple of months before the actual car hit the market. Just curious if they will give us a sneak peak. Not getting a peak will not sway my decision to purchase one; making room in my r/c garage for it right now!! I am curious to what the street price will be to us Mugen purchasers. Hopefully, they will keep it reasonable.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Well, when they came out with the MTX-4, the CAD pics where out at least a couple of months before the actual car hit the market. Just curious if they will give us a sneak peak. Not getting a peak will not sway my decision to purchase one; making room in my r/c garage for it right now!! I am curious to what the street price will be to us Mugen purchasers. Hopefully, they will keep it reasonable.
I am not saying they wont release some CAD images before releasing the car, since they always do with all their cars.

I am just saying that when the new Mugen cars are released (CAD images), it takes the whole R/C community by surprise since there suppress all "speculation" by denying a new car.

Its not like other brands whereas I had already confirmation that a new car was in the works and that I had already seen CAD images 5-6 months before they officially released the CAD images to the public.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.