Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I posted this in the engine section of the forum & recieved no response so I thought I'd ask here. Any one have experience with .12 pipes made by RB? If so what are your thoughts on them.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Anyone remember that optional 22 pulley gear in the r40 kit? What's its purpose and is there something else that needed to be changed if it's installed? My manual has been misplaced (thnx to people who don't understand to leave things alone) and I can't find other info on it anywhere.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GBagRacing
I posted this in the engine section of the forum & recieved no response so I thought I'd ask here. Any one have experience with .12 pipes made by RB? If so what are your thoughts on them.
what would you like too know about them ?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Anyone remember that optional 22 pulley gear in the r40 kit? What's its purpose and is there something else that needed to be changed if it's installed? My manual has been misplaced (thnx to people who don't understand to leave things alone) and I can't find other info on it anywhere.
thats good dont give up on the car yet (do your homework)
Old 01-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello,

Regarding this optional 22 pulley gear, if you install it in the front on the outside of the pulley shaft, you can change the, sorry for this french word, Preponderance, i don't know if it is the same word in english.

So if you put on it this 22 pulley gear, the diameter of the front wheels and the rear wheels must have a difference of 3mm. For exemple in the front 60mm and in the rear 63mm.
So the front wheels are more driving than the rear, and the car is more effective and easy to drive.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Minus
Hello,

Regarding this optional 22 pulley gear, if you install it in the front on the outside of the pulley shaft, you can change the, sorry for this french word, Preponderance, i don't know if it is the same word in english.

So if you put on it this 22 pulley gear, the diameter of the front wheels and the rear wheels must have a difference of 3mm. For exemple in the front 60mm and in the rear 63mm.
So the front wheels are more driving than the rear, and the car is more effective and easy to drive.
"Overdrive"
Old 01-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Lightbulb

Ahh I see. Hmm so basically you have no need for it. I figured out I like running the R40 with the stock spurs and 20/26 pinion for Floyd. I'll be testing it out at bridgeport next time the weather is good. Speaking of good, today is glorious!!! It was suppose to rain all day sunday and today, but both days been good...just that today (Monday) is even better with a high of 60 degrees!! Too bad I have to work in a bit. I'll do some more running with the gears and try the turbo plug one more time as well. I may even try running byrons to see if my engine likes it more and possibly 30%. The OD will be for bashing with the GT. RD logics may be my new pipe, though debating on that and the CVEC. Hara ran the Turbo II legal and liked it I assume since he did win that event. Guess I'll have the lhs order me the integy setup station now.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Ahh I see. Hmm so basically you have no need for it. I figured out I like running the R40 with the stock spurs and 20/26 pinion for Floyd. I'll be testing it out at bridgeport next time the weather is good. Speaking of good, today is glorious!!! It was suppose to rain all day sunday and today, but both days been good...just that today (Monday) is even better with a high of 60 degrees!! Too bad I have to work in a bit. I'll do some more running with the gears and try the turbo plug one more time as well. I may even try running byrons to see if my engine likes it more and possibly 30%. The OD will be for bashing with the GT. RD logics may be my new pipe, though debating on that and the CVEC. Hara ran the Turbo II legal and liked it I assume since he did win that event. Guess I'll have the lhs order me the integy setup station now.
on a tight track with lots of turns overdrive will pull you out of the turns . makeing it easy to drive
Old 01-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

So since the difference in diamater has to be 3mm them pretty much useless no because I checked a lot of foams and they are a difference of 2 and not 3. I'm wondering if I can still use it and the oneway I'll be picking up soon. Anyone using that 22 pulley? BTW it goes on the middle shaft or 2speed shaft?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

So since the difference in diamater has to be 3mm them pretty much useless no because I checked a lot of foams and they are a difference of 2 and not 3. I'm wondering if I can still use it and the oneway I'll be picking up soon. Anyone using that 22 pulley? BTW it goes on the middle shaft or 2speed shaft?
i see you do not under stand the 3is in the tires put on the car after cutting them . its a 3 split. like 60 front and 63 rear . tire size changes the final roll out gear ratio
Old 01-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

I think what captain is trying to say is that the "split" is the difference between the diameters of the front and rear tires. Not the width. You would need a tire truer and a pair of calipers to "tune" your car this way. By doing this you can run smaller tires, which give you better response and handling, but at the cost of shorter run times.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Oh I know it was refering to the diameter and not the width. I was just going by the specs on the site. I see now...just never seen anyone really using it or talking about it as much. Interesting. A tire truer will be on the list after the setup board.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captian
what would you like too know about them ?
General comparison to other pipes you have used. ie: Cvec, RDL, skyline etc....
Old 01-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Oh I know it was refering to the diameter and not the width. I was just going by the specs on the site. I see now...just never seen anyone really using it or talking about it as much. Interesting. A tire truer will be on the list after the setup board.
Ya, I'm too cheap to true down my tires. Buy a set of tires just to see 1/2 of the rubber in a big pile. The trick is to leave just enough rubber to finish the race. Long mains can be a challenge though. If you search the Serpent, Mugen and G4 threads you can find a lot more information about tire size, wear, coning, pre-coning and f/r rollout ratios.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Here is a part of a post made by motorman about this subject. Its for the G4 but the same principles can be applied to our cars.

Originally Posted by Motorman
Wag
those are good questions....
....As for rear roll center we wanted a lower rear roll center adjustment but it was determined that it is possible to tune around it with gear ratios and tire sizes. I'll give you an example. If I run a 58 mm rear tire the rear arm is relatively flat and I would usually run 19 internals and 19/24 or 25 pinions to get the roll out I need. If I want to lower the rear arm or have it angled up so to speak I can run a 62 mm rear tire and 18 internal ratios on the brake pulley and a 19 side pulley with 18/23 or 24 pinions with a 58.5 mm front tire. this equates to close to the same rollout as the previous example but I'm running a 3.5 mm split in tire size from front to rear. we have found this setup to provide more steering and more rear bite at the same time with equal off corner acceleration (because the tire speed is slow the acceleration difference because of rollout diameters is not that significant yet) with significantly increased top end acceleration because of the increased rollout. In other words the increased rear tire diameter providea a non linear curve of acceleration as the car goes faster and faster compared to a 59 mm dia rear tire. As far as camber gain the rear end can be adjusted for low camber gain or very high camber gain. Its upper rear arm geometry is just like everyone else its just that the pivot mounts off the front of the rear knuckle instead of the top. Functionally it works like mugen kyosho or serpent.
Hope this answers some of your questions
Some additional shock positions were added....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.