Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Same here man.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default Technokit 10

One think I noticed in the Dec. 2005 issue of Radio Control Car Action, p. 96, is that the Technokit 10 looks particularly similar to the R40. It goes well beyond the general similarity between most modern triple belt cars. It is not a complete clone either, but it looks like someone specifically liked the R40 and decided to improve upon it. At least it was an improvement in someones eyes. It is very interesting.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Not quite sure how it looks like an R40.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RC_Greg
Hi Brett,

You went from a 710 to the r40.
Why?
What did you gain?
What did you notice?
Which edition of the R40 is it?

I'm considering both cars for next season... Let me know!
thx

Well let me start by saying the 710 is a VERY good car, but parts always seemed to be a problem and i was getting tired of the constant changes in the car (new versions) The car is also seemed very hard to set up on small to medium sized, tracks. But the build quality and adjustability was on another level. I had been running Serpent for about 3yrs since the impulse, and its nice to see that its starting to get more popular over here. I changed mainly to the local distributer for HPI (www.hobbydirect.co.nz) invited me to go to the HPI winternats in Australia this year were i met Hara, Mura and Surikarn and they did there job and sold the idea of the R40, along with the O.S engines to me. So i returned to New Zealand with ambitions of owning an R40 and driving like them well i did one i got a R40. I Started out with the Japanese spec to start (with a few hop-ups) and the first thing i found was how easy it was to build, but was astonished at how heavy it was, but it wasnt long before i got to drive it and was pleased to find at how easy it was to drive out of the box, compared to the serpent. Since then i have bought the R40 2004 spec and a few mods later i know have a very light car and even have to add a little weight! I do have the new R40 on order and cant wait to see it. I havent had the 04 R40 long but it seems a very nice car to drive, and it is nice to drive something different. I will hopefully be racing the 05 spec at the Pre-Worlds in febuary and will let you guys know how it goes. I feel this car is VERY underated and you will see its true performance at next years worlds!
Old 10-29-2005, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD

Not quite sure how it looks like an R40.
At first I didnt think so either. But it does kinda look like an R40 on some insane horse steroids at some angles.

After looking over the kit I can only think of how strong it must be. Metal here and there , cf everywhere , then read the rcaction review and heard different, they said it was somewhat weak. Im guessing its too stiff and lots of cf instead of cg like composites that give a little.

Either way its a nice looking car, that does resemble the r40's layout , not looks really. Its also a ball diff in the rear, wonder how that drives?

Last edited by Artificial-I; 10-29-2005 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Hey AI congrats on the Moderator status. I had ball diffs in my older nitro sedan, the NEO TNT. It was fairly easy to adjust on the fly as there were holes you'd simply insert a 1.5mm allen key and twist the left wheel. The only downside is maintainance. Improper settings lead to worn diff balls, rings, etc. However it sure was better than messin with diff oils and such. To this day my rear R40 diff just has slightly lubed gears and no oil what so ever. It tracks straight and doesn't fightail period. Really good car. After driving the CD3 it's hard to say which is better as the R40 still doesn't have the LW chassis. Also, I don't have the new pinions as yet to try. I figure bringing the ratio closer 7.2:1 in first and 5.9:1 in 2nd would better suit my track instead of the tall stock gearing. Especially for my Rody which isn't a higher revver like the JP and the newer Rody's.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Ai, you've been a mod for quite a while.
I think pretty much all the most popular nitro 10th scalers look pretty similar proportion wise, they all have a big chunky cf topdeck and near centrally mounted fuel tanks with a low cg layout. kind of all look like clones of each other.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:20 PM
MrD
Tech Initiate

To answer the question on the TK 10's handling. A few of my buds got the TK 10 as soon as it came out and were testing on the track. It was impossible to find a proper setup for that car. No matter what we did the car would never settle. There was no balance to be found. The rear end was especially difficult to get glued. Result? They all sold their TK 10s after crashing and parts braking like they were toothpicks. The screws that were metal to metal would always come lose. The amount of thread lock used to build the cars was amazing... It was a really good looking car but looked nothing like the R40. Another thing with the TK 10, once the car finally got some balance the grip was such that the car would always flip over. I think that Technokit made a car to show off CF and Aluminum parts at the expense of what was really needed for racing.... My 2 cents on the TK 10.
To R40s now, my R40 in the hands of one of the best drivers around these parts was dueling a Serpent 710 with e Mega .12 engine and was hitting times that were well in the region of times needed to win Expert class races at my local track. I was very pleased to see that my car could compete with the best....
Old 10-31-2005, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Default Rubber Tire setup

Do I need any specail pullies or belt if I were to run the R40 on Rubber tires. If so, please let me know what they are.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...=en&partNo=817

here ya go guys....

Comprehensive Features List
Chassis upgrades
#73110 New R40 Hara Edition Upper Deck (Woven Graphite)
New woven graphite upper deck repositions the electronic components for a lower center of gravity, increasing overall chassis performance.

#73925 New R40 Hara Edition Chassis
New chassis works with the new upper deck to achieve the optimum weight distribution of the chassis. Also allows the receiver battery to be mounted directly on to the chassis for a lower CG and quicker steering response.

Graphite shock towers
Shock towers machined from 3mm high quality woven graphite for strength and weight savings. Extra shock mounting holes and camber link positions are provided for extended tuning range.
#73089 Front Shock Tower A (Woven Graphite)
#73090 Rear Shock Tower A (Woven Graphite)

Lightweight transmission parts
#33401 R40 Lightweight 2 Speed Shaft

#33402 R40 Lightweight Middle Shaft
Lightweight 2 Speed Shaft and Lightweight Middle Shaft decrease drivetrain weight for quick acceleration.

#87173 Lightweight 2 Speed Transmission Set (0.8M)
Lightweight 2 Speed Transmission Set is lighter, which delivers increased acceleration and a reduction in the overall car weight for faster lap times. Also features a finer gear pitch for increased efficiency and quicker acceleration, and hard anodized alloy clutch bell gears for extended gear life. The gear ratios have also been revised for more punch and higher top speed.

Steering upgrade
#33403 R40 Steering Upgrade Set (Bearings)
Bearing Set for extra smooth steering response.

#75067 New R40 Hara Edition Aluminum Servo Mount
Aluminum servo mount provides a rigid mount for the steering servo, for increased steering precision.

Drive train upgrades
#75026 Front One-Way Differential 36T
Front One-Way Differential for quicker steering and acceleration.

#33406 Diff Gear Set (R40 4 Bevel Gear)
4 bevel gears make the car more stable under hard acceleration. The 4 bevel gear set-up also increases durability.

#33407 Aluminum Hex Hub Clamp Type (6mm/4pcs.)
Precision 6mm aluminum hex hubs machined from aluminum for less hub deflection. Also prevents the drive pin from falling out during car maintenance.

More options
#72170 Threaded Aluminum Shock Set (45-56mm)
Threaded Aluminum Shock Set for extra durability and finer tuning options.

#87241 New R40 Hara Edition Fuel Tank
New optimized fuel tank shape provides a lower center of gravity for improved handling, also includes an overfill fuel channel.

#38202 Aluminum Antenna Holder (Purple Anodized)
Purple anodized aluminum antenna holder for increased durability.

Unassembled 1/10th scale 4WD R40 Hara Edition. Does
Old 10-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

VERY COOL,

I noticed that the TI screws are not included. The description says that the steering servo has been centered. I can't see where it would be unless its under the front of the fuel tank. Why does the US get things last?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

no hara competition shocks
Old 10-31-2005, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
VERY COOL,

I noticed that the TI screws are not included. The description says that the steering servo has been centered. I can't see where it would be unless its under the front of the fuel tank. Why does the US get things last?

I could name names.........but my level of customer service would drop...

BTW,the servo is under the tank...
Old 10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just wondering where does the Rx battery go in the 05 R40?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Ahh saw that 5 hrs ago. Great stuff...may have to order one for spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.