Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tuning by temperature

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default tuning by temperature

I want to easily tune the 4-tec and would like to know if tuning by temperature is a good idea. I would do some high speed runs and see what would the max temp be on the on-board gauge. If it's too high (over 270 like the manual says) i would just richen it 1/8 turn, if the temp is too low or low i would lean it 1/8 turn etc until i meet the destined temperature (shooting for 260-265)

would tuning by temperature be a good idea? I have a venom temp fail safe as well.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Tuning an engine is to be done by observing its performance, i.e. see the smoke from the exhaust while accelerating and on top rpm, listen to the sound of the engine, and see the power perfomance. You might use the temperature gun or telemetry for feedback on rpm & temperature. More information is always better. See the oveall picture and get experience with your observations, rpm and temperature measurements, to get the best out of it. Tuning an engine is an art.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Richard E
Tuning an engine is to be done by observing its performance, i.e. see the smoke from the exhaust while accelerating and on top rpm, listen to the sound of the engine, and see the power perfomance. You might use the temperature gun or telemetry for feedback on rpm & temperature. More information is always better. See the oveall picture and get experience with your observations, rpm and temperature measurements, to get the best out of it. Tuning an engine is an art.
yes always tune by performance ,
Old 12-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Lord

And when you tuned the engine to its best performance then you can messure the temperature as a reference.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tuning by temp is a good way to avoid running too rich or running too lean. If you're running too rich, you may flood the engine and it will die (stopping or off throttle), not make run time (i.e. run out of fuel before an end of a race) and performance will suffer (you'll be slower). If you're running too lean, you may starve the engine on full throttle or overheat it to the point of causing damage.

Looking for smoke, listening to the rpm and watching your car is a good way to gauge performance of your engine, but until you're experienced enough to know the difference between the different type of engines you may run, it's hard to figure out if you're in the intended powerband of the engine.

An overheated engine makes a certain sound and by that time, it's really time to pull the car off the track and let it cool down before causing any damage or further damage.

As has been said, always check your temp for reference to make sure you're not going to blow it up by overheating it. Also remember that you have to let the engine warm up for a while before it's at operating temperature. For our 20sec per lap track, when I'm tuning the engine, that means checking the engine every 3, 6 and 9 laps - or every 1, 2 and 3 minutes. You can use these temps for reference when you're warming up for a race to determine if you need to make any small adjustments just before a race. I also check the temp any time I pull the car off the track and definitely at the end of the race.

During the course of the day, the environmental conditions will change (temp/humidity) and you'll have to do some fine adjustments. Using temp as a reference is a good way to figure out if you're engine is still well tuned or has changed to running too lean or too rich.

I always tune by listening to the engine and checking the temp for reference. If it's below a certain temp, I always lean it and if it's above a certain temp, I always richen it.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

let say if it's really cold out in the upper 60f degree or lower 70f degree where we race sometimes. i blow a new novamega once assuming that the colder the wheather the leaner since the engine is cold aswell. it's just the opposite in cold wheather cause the air is thinner.richen the needle when it gets colder.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

i see you d nicest
Old 12-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FITO
let say if it's really cold out in the upper 60f degree or lower 70f degree where we race sometimes. i blow a new novamega once assuming that the colder the wheather the leaner since the engine is cold aswell. it's just the opposite in cold wheather cause the air is thinner.richen the needle when it gets colder.
when its cold the air is heavyer so you richen but you have to factor in what plug you are using too
Old 12-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
And when you tuned the engine to its best performance then you can messure the temperature as a reference.

Thats pretty much how I use my temp gun.... I start tuning then run at least 4-5 hard laps after warm up and temp the motor once it feels strong and sounds good....
Old 12-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by FITO
It is all about airpressure and and the % water in the air. Colder or hotter can not say anything about setting leaner or richer.
Just tune by its performance and you are sure.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

right on guys, gonna set the HSN to 4 turns out (traxxas break in setting, rich) and gonna tune it from there.