Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Ray,
The Kyosho Inferno GT cars have proven to be very durable in our racing program at SS Raceway.

I personally haven’t broken very much with my IGT car after nearly 3 gallons of racing. There are some maintenance items that I check & replace on a regular basis. These items are:

Clutch bell bearings. The stock bearings are “needle bearing” type; I’ve replaced them with 5x8x3 un-flanged standard type bearings.

The standard aluminum clutch shoes require the same attention as in off-road racing. As the aluminum wears, it mushrooms its edges and they need to be cleaned up with a razor knife. I’ve been replacing my clutch spring after each gallon to be on the safe side; clutch spring part #92405.

The Kyosho #KC45 “carbon” type clutch shoes also work well too. They provide a little more “stall speed”, a little smoother engagement and some more RPM too.

My IGT came equipped with the new 15/19 clutch bell gear set. Some cars have the original 14/17 set. If your track has a lot of hi-speed sections, I’d suggest upgrading to the 15/19 set if you have the smaller gears.

The spur gears are plastic and mesh is critical. Last weekend, I was helping 2 new IGT racers in the pits. After getting them set-up and missed some of my qualifiers, I started out in the B main. After winning the “B” and bumping up to the “A”, I felt good about my car. I started at the back of the A main and with less that 1 minutes to go, I stripped 1st gear after getting to 3rd place, only to DNF in 5th place.

So the moral to that story is, check your mesh & engine mount screws. LOL. An extra #GTW20-2 gear set should be in your box.

As far as factory options, here’s a few that I think any IGT car owner should look at.

IFW330 SP Brake Pads, IFW122 SP Brake Disc, IFW108 SP Upper Rod, IFW2 SP Tie Rod, IFW124B Suspension Holder Set, IFW104 Front Sway Bar Set. I’m sorry I don’t have the part number for the rear sway bar on hand & front support chassis brace, but I’d also make them a racing upgrade too. Other than that, the IGT is ready to rock!

The Kyosho Inferno GT is a great performer and shrugs off just about any impact while racing. It is a lot of fun to drive and looks like a real car out on the track.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

rear sway bar set IF117
Old 01-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Great post thanks Jeff! I'll try to make it to SS on the 20th with a virgin IGT.

Was down for a week getting settled into the new house and enjoying the FL weather but there was no time to play. I'm now back in WI freezing and working on the old house.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DogboneS
Came across a fine video of Inferno GT's racing in Japan
Caution large file size, but worth it. Crystal clear video

http://www.stage6.com/user/Totranosu...-Meister-cup-2
what engine are they running? looked like an OS VG .30. where are you guys getting your cars?

Last edited by quietstorm76; 01-09-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

With the stock engine...

This arrived last week

Old 01-14-2008, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikaR
With the stock engine...

This arrived last week

Very nice!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
Great post thanks Jeff! I'll try to make it to SS on the 20th with a virgin IGT.

Was down for a week getting settled into the new house and enjoying the FL weather but there was no time to play. I'm now back in WI freezing and working on the old house.
Looking forward to racing with you at SS Raceway!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikaR
With the stock engine...

This arrived last week

This is the version that I have. I will start breaking the engine in shortly to get ready for Bvoltz' Bass Pro Series race in Jackson, MS March 1st.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Jspeed. I emailed Carlton, Steve, and even the link on RC Pro Series website called "Hosting an Event". I didn't get a reply from anyone. Do you know what's up? Does RC Pro Series not care if someone new wants to host an event?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Carlton has been down in Puerto Rico all last week for our “Pepsi Nitro Beach” off-road event. Please give him a few days to get back & catch up.

You could also try to contact Steve Webster On-Road Director, from the website.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

WOW! you guys got pepsi? How cool is that!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Hi, replaced the stock links with something that has less binding and is more robust.. I think is what most guys have done for racing, right

Old 01-15-2008, 03:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default cooling holes in the body

All the pictures that I have seen are of NEW cars and they look great! What about engine cooling holes in the front and rear windshield? How large of a hole is required? Also, I am sure that the driver's side window has to be cut out so that the car can be fueled.

I would like to see someone post a picture of their race body after trimming and modifying for cooling.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tomkelley
WOW! you guys got pepsi? How cool is that!
Very cool Tom.

We love Pepsi, you should too!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
All the pictures that I have seen are of NEW cars and they look great! What about engine cooling holes in the front and rear windshield? How large of a hole is required? Also, I am sure that the driver's side window has to be cut out so that the car can be fueled.

I would like to see someone post a picture of their race body after trimming and modifying for cooling.
Front windshield opening 3”x3” max, side window cut open for refueling OK, no size limit on rear window according to RC Pro Kyosho Inferno GT Spec Class rules.

Here’s a picture of my IGT, it’s only driven on Sundays, lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.