Wiki Posts
Search

200mm nitro touring car hot again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by va_connoisseur
Both of those are interesting. I wonder what happened to the other drivers. Was the track moved far away from it's original location?
No only 20 minutes at the most. The permanent track was smaller, no view from any major road so we never got any new racers. We use to get at least one newbie every race but most of the time it was more. Some stuck in there other quit but we alway had new racers.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
No only 20 minutes at the most. The permanent track was smaller, no view from any major road so we never got any new racers. We use to get at least one newbie every race but most of the time it was more. Some stuck in there other quit but we alway had new racers.
Same here. Track was a little closer,much smaller(not a good touring car track) and very rarely see new drivers.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Default Hot

Originally Posted by JLock
I am not being hard, really. I am saying that many have abandoned the budget racer which is the market you are trying to attract. With the rising cost of gas, food, homes, cars, etc, r/c has to compete for the very few extra dollars that can be spent on "luxuries" from most households. When you can buy a $200 bike, $100 skateboard, $75 set of rollerblades, $400 Wii w/ about 4 games, or a $800 to $1500 r/c race package, which one would you or your parents choose. The lifecycle of the first three are very long so many think that the money is well spent there. R/C cars seem to outdate themselves faster than game systems so you get the picture. If you do like Xray and Serpent, come out with a new car every 6 months, have very few interchangable parts between the old car and the new car, discontinue parts production for the old car to make parts for the new car, again, you get the picture. Kyosho has the right idea with the Inferno GT. If you want the fleeing dollars from the dwindling consumer market, you have to produce a couple of products that fit into that budget niche or your consumers will look elsewhere.
It’s not really the “budget racer” we need to attract. Its ridicules to think that people who have never driven an R/C car before are approached and expected to buy an expensive hi-end car.

We all know that speed costs money, but since our sport needs to go “mainstream”, shouldn’t we consider offering events that enable the “newbie” to experience the thrill of competition as well?

Without any RTR type class racing in an event program, how can we expect it to grow? That’s the reason why “bashers” out number “racers” by more than any non-RTR manufacturer is willing to admit.

It is like walking into a car dealership and every car is an exotic. People walk in, ooh & aah and leave because the $250-1M price is out of their range. Sure out of 50 thousand people someone might have the cash to burn but you still lost 49 thousand customers in the process.

But all is not lost, the "newbie" can race their RTR and when their ready to move up to a pro-level ride, they'll be plenty for them to buy.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jspeed,

The "budget racer" is one of the many that this hobby/sport needs to attract. Believe it or not, I started out as a "budget racer". But, as my budget and skills grew, so did my spending on the type of car(s) needed to compete at a high level. I did the "bash" thing for a moment, but it was no fun when you were bashing against yourself (r/c was non-existent in south mississippi for a very long time). But, if there weren't a "budget" level car that was easily upgradable (TC3 electric and HPI RS2 Racer 2, my first two "race" cars), I would have either bailed on the hobby or entrenched myself on the plane side of things (which was popular in my area at the time I came into the hobby fully). Some of the same "hardcore" racers are the ones killing the hobby with their super-serious attitudes and being unapproachable and unfriendly (even at local club tracks/races). As I have said many time (ask Bvoltz on this one), if a spectator don't see some level of enjoyment (FUN) being exhibited by the racers, then they question why should they get involved with it.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Default Hot

Originally Posted by JLock
Jspeed,

The "budget racer" is one of the many that this hobby/sport needs to attract. Believe it or not, I started out as a "budget racer". But, as my budget and skills grew, so did my spending on the type of car(s) needed to compete at a high level. I did the "bash" thing for a moment, but it was no fun when you were bashing against yourself (r/c was non-existent in south mississippi for a very long time). But, if there weren't a "budget" level car that was easily upgradable (TC3 electric and HPI RS2 Racer 2, my first two "race" cars), I would have either bailed on the hobby or entrenched myself on the plane side of things (which was popular in my area at the time I came into the hobby fully). Some of the same "hardcore" racers are the ones killing the hobby with their super-serious attitudes and being unapproachable and unfriendly (even at local club tracks/races). As I have said many time (ask Bvoltz on this one), if a spectator don't see some level of enjoyment (FUN) being exhibited by the racers, then they question why should they get involved with it.
I agree 100%
Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Rookie

please tell me someone has contacted espn i have had enough i turned the tv on and there on espn was a kids spelling bee event followed by the paper rock scissors world champion ship and then the same day the before mentioned 2 hrs of poker, seriously are they more exciting then world championship rc series or even novice local racing for that matter tv could cause the biggest surge rc has ever seen, just look at the popularity change in texas hold'em in the last couple of years, oc choppers is another example of what tv can do. surely the rc magazines would have the means to make this happen, and it would be nice if magazines would push racing a bit more instead of back yard bashing monster truck not that there is anything wrong with that as i am guilty of that myself.
another key is to be friendly and helpful to the new comers that show up i know there are a few guys at our track that play the im to pro to talk to you game which nearly turned me off racing way back in 96 im just glad i stayed and kept trying
Old 08-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

I find it that when the newbies show up with their RTR or sportsman cars for practice, people panic and avoid being on the track at the same time to avoid damage to their expensive machines. Sometimes I feel that this discourages them and sort of isolates them to the point that they don't return. The other thing I noticed is that sometimes team of pro racers stick together like packs and do no treat these so called sportsman classes as serious races and often don't marshall properly or just don't marshal at all. So two things have to happen here, the track owners should discuss this on their meetings prior to starting the races and advocate good sportsmanship and actually act on it. Second, pro racers should be more forthcoming in helping or running along with those newbies to give them a sense off welcome.

Furthermore I think newbies feel intimidated when they get chatty in the pits during races tyring to ask questions. (I am guilty of that)

I am not pro racer but I've raced for several years and I was a newbie once and I found most of my help in these forums, plus the few friends that race on the occasion by my side. Luckily, this year I returned full force in the racing scene where I have now moved up from budget racer to actually owning decent equipement. Money is a big factor here unless the LHS sponsores some of it.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAMPAGE
please tell me someone has contacted espn i have had enough i turned the tv on and there on espn was a kids spelling bee event followed by the paper rock scissors world champion ship and then the same day the before mentioned 2 hrs of poker, seriously are they more exciting then world championship rc series or even novice local racing for that matter tv could cause the biggest surge rc has ever seen, just look at the popularity change in texas hold'em in the last couple of years, oc choppers is another example of what tv can do.
Rampage, all of those events buy time on ESPN. An hour of prime-time cable (pick any station from the Travel Channel, Speed, to ESPN) goes for no less than $100,000. So if you have $100,000 for a one time buy of one hour on national cable and can sell the production/content/commercials to make it viable then put it together yourself. ESPN doesn't wake up every day and say, "hmmm, maybe we need to spend time and resources showing the world the diversity of sport". That's the old ABC Wide World of Sports way of thinking but there's too much money being thrown at all the major stations that they don't need to create something cause they will just sell the time to infomercials... no effort and easy money.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Unhappy Hot?

TV coverage would be great, but you’re putting the cart in front of the horse.

The first step is growing public interest in R/C racing.

The second step is actually having a large enough following to show sponsors outside of the R/C industry that we represent a profitable demographic.

Third step, sit back and let the Coke & Burger King’s of the world do their thing.

O’yea, don’t forget that we’re going to have to let these big companies pay out CASH to the winners of the races they sponsor.

That bowling trophy mentality will not work in the real world of professional sports.

Rock Paper Scissor Champions get paid CASH!

NO CASH RACING = NO CORPORATE INVOLVMENT.

Sorry, the truth sometimes hurts.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

you have to remember that rc racing is kinda like real car's but for ppl that cant race the big car's
and its a hobby or some may say toy racing (witch i dont like to call)

to me its as real as ill ever get to the big car's so to me its more than a hobby but i know not to get upset when i dont do well.
theres always next week
some ppl dont like to spend money on such stuff and they dont understand but everyone is different,
us that race (at all levels) do coz we love what we do
id rather buy rc stuff than go out and watch a movie or something like that.
a night out on the town they say,ya right what a wast of time
i guess im crazy.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

I know exactly what your saying.
I love this hobby too and it is an affordable way of car racing, safer too.

What I think we need more of, and it has been touched on here more then once. Is tracks to be viewable by the public at large! Weather it be near Mall's or busy parking lots or what. But they are the tracks, and the Hobby Stores that will encourage this hobby to grow.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

British Menace
Old 08-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ESPN doesn't wake up every day and say, "hmmm, maybe we need to spend time and resources showing the world the diversity of sport".

Actually that it how ESPN got it start. Almost everything they coverd in the early yaers was nothing but that kind of sports.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone ever actually watched an RC race on TV or Video?? It is extremely hard to follow, and quite frankly similar to watching paint dry!

I really don't see this becomming an attractive option for ESPN's programming schedule. And also, it is very true, most alternative sports must pay ESPN BIG money for the coverage that they receive. It costs ALOT of cash for ESPN to produce a TV program, and by doing some simple research into the rc racing scene they would quickly learn that there is not enough interest to justify the cost involved.

Sorry to rain on anyones parade, but this is the reality of rc on TV.

As for the general health of On road racing, It's dead. Put a fork in it.

I read on and on about all the guys wanting there to be more racing available to them, but no one does anything about it. If you want racing, find a parking lot, get some wood, some vht, maybe a pa system and gather your friends and start racing. Maybe the saying will come true "if you build it they will come".

Then again, maybe not.

I would love nothing more than to start racing 1/10 on road again. Hell, I'd be there every weekend! I think it's time to start parking lot racing everywhere, for everyone! Young/Old/Slow/Fast/Rich/Not so rich/etc.

Then maybe something will come of rc on road again.

BK (going to home depot to buy some wood and white paint!!)
Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Has anyone ever actually watched an RC race on TV or Video?? It is extremely hard to follow, and quite frankly similar to watching paint dry!

kinda like watching an F1 race.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds

kinda like watching an F1 race.
You're so Hurtfull Wally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.