R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   rs4 3 - .12SS vs. .15FE (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/11131-rs4-3-12ss-vs-15fe.html)

CaptEvo 12-26-2002 05:51 PM

rs4 3 - .12SS vs. .15FE

Can the .12SS in Type SS kit beat the .15FE in RTR version?
Thanks.

Also, I have 2 options: keep the brand new Type SS or trade it with the nitro 4-tec (2.5 engine)
What should I do? I don't care much for racing since I work weekend... just parking lot bashing... Thanks

wahturi 12-27-2002 02:54 PM

the 15fe is a base model engine form what i know. the .12 is better.

popsracer 12-27-2002 08:06 PM

Can the .12SS in Type SS kit beat the .15FE in RTR version?
The .15FE is around .85 hp. The FE has a ABN piston & sleeve.

The .12SS is over 1.0 hp. The SS has a ABC piston and sleeve.

I would not trade for the Traxxas. There are better cars than the HPI, but the 4-Tec is NOT one of them. If this is your first nitro car, I would stick with the HPI.

[HPI]RS4SS 12-27-2002 11:33 PM

I dont know why, but my friend's RTR3 beat me in drag......:rolleyes:

CaptEvo 12-28-2002 08:12 AM

Thanks guys,
I'll keep the SS. Should be here anytime today. =)
Its not my 1st nitro. I have a Tmaxx and a RC10GT.
I guess I can always upgrade to OS or Star .15SS later on.

nova racer 12-28-2002 03:44 PM

the .15fe is like .55hp dont know about the ss but less than a horse i would say .85:cool:

CaptEvo 12-29-2002 10:00 AM

I just finished building my Type SS.. just one question though... the air filter doesn't fit on the carb very well... the idle needle is in the way... any of you noteiced that?

popsracer 12-29-2002 12:02 PM

CaptEvo;

This is a problem with ALL of the HPI .12-.15 engines (except Novarossi based). Carefully grind or trim a small amount of the filter base away so it will clear the idle stop screw better.

NEVER run your engine without an "Oiled" Air Filter or without being "Zip-tyed" to the Carb, NEVER.

[HPI]RS4SS;

Your friend probably has his engine tuned way too lean. Won't last long that way.

CaptEvo 12-29-2002 12:46 PM

Thanks popracer,
The air filter looks cheap, i think i'll put my spare OS filter in...
i still have to trim it, but seems like still not anough room for the zip tie...
Thnx

speedoo 12-29-2002 05:37 PM

There are many little things you can add to your engine to make it faster than your friends if you are drag racing and you won't need to change engines. If you don't have a tuned pipe get one. Read the article below to decide which pipe you would like. it also tells how you can super tune your tuned pipe.

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/tuned.asp

The next thing is a slide carburetor. If you want to get off the line fast this is the only way to go.

Here is an article about how to get the most from your carburetor.

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/carburetor.asp

For pure speed where handling is not an issue (on a track) this should be all you need to do. If you race on a track then there is a lot more to take into consideration. Type of track surface, type of track, high speed or technical which involves set up and tires.
If your just in the parking lot on a Sunday morning trying to beat out your friend on along straight this should do it.

When your engine gives up the ghost get yourself a Novarossi instead of the HPI. I did and I am verry happy with it.

NitroJoe 12-30-2002 05:33 PM

Originally posted by popsracer
The .15FE is around .85 hp. The FE has a ABN piston & sleeve.

The .12SS is over 1.0 hp. The SS has a ABC piston and sleeve.

I would not trade for the Traxxas. There are better cars than the HPI, but the 4-Tec is NOT one of them. If this is your first nitro car, I would stick with the HPI.

Popracer

My TypeSS engine went out last weekend. I am going to get an OS Max .12CV-RX. Anyway, when I looked at the Crank Shaft. It doesn’t look like the TypeSS. I’m wondering , Can I use the same Light Weight Fly Wheel on the OS or do I have to modify something in order to use the OS. Thanks POP
:confused:

popsracer 12-30-2002 06:24 PM

NitroJoe;

You might have to cut some of the threads off the crankshaft on the O.S. but other than that it should fit fine.

How much fuel did you get through your .12SS?

I have a .15FE that is 1-1/2 years old that still runs strong and gets RACED almost every weekend by my Son.

popsracer 12-30-2002 06:32 PM

speedoo;

If you don't have a tuned pipe get one, The next thing is a slide carburetor.
Both of these items will cost almost as much as a new engine. I can see the need for a pipe but not for a slide carb at $50+.

[HPI]RS4SS;

I dont know why, but my friend's RTR3 beat me in drag......
Try removing the restricter that goes into the muffler/pipe, then re-adjust your fuel mixture if nesessary.

NitroJoe 12-30-2002 08:11 PM

Re: NitroJoe;

Originally posted by popsracer
You might have to cut some of the threads off the crankshaft on the O.S. but other than that it should fit fine.

How much fuel did you get through your .12SS?

I have a .15FE that is 1-1/2 years old that still runs strong and gets RACED almost every weekend by my Son.

I just fixed it. It was the carburetor. It came lose and fuel all over the car. I didn't know but right after I took the SS out of the car. I knowege the carbure kinda loose. Anyway, I am think put the SS on my new V-1S and take the stock Kyosho put it on the Type SS. Any suggestion? POP. thanks,

CaptEvo 12-30-2002 08:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by popsracer
[B]CaptEvo;

This is a problem with ALL of the HPI .12-.15 engines (except Novarossi based). Carefully grind or trim a small amount of the filter base away so it will clear the idle stop screw better.

NEVER run your engine without an "Oiled" Air Filter or without being "Zip-tyed" to the Carb, NEVER.

popsracer,
I was able to get the OS air filter to fit in the 12SS, but there's no way I can zip tie it... the zip tie itself wouldn't fit in between the carb and the idle needle... Is it Safe to zip tie it around the idle needle? I mean is it going to ruin the idle needle?
Thnx
[I think my next engine is the OS 15 CV-R]