Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:41 AM
Tech Adept

Default Info

Qlone

Thanks, the pic helps

I took a look at mine and they look the same as yours.

What I will do is check this again tonight and ensure the play is minimal as possible. Will take some pics and show you guys the amount of play...

1/10th of a millimeter... ok... will try and let you know...

Thanks again guys...

Acid
Old 07-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

Hi, I've seen my first 720 yesterday, the plastic parts look very different from the previus kits. What do you think about this parts? Durability, quality? And the kit owners, hold the plastics the screws securely?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

So far, no complaints about the plastics. My 720 has endured a bunch of accidents so far without any damage. It looks to be a bit sturdier than a 710. This weekend a friend crashed his 710 into my '20 and he was the one taking damage .

For people building the kit now, a good tip is to get a screw similar to the one used in the kit and use it to pre-tap all holes. This makes screwing in the normal screws a lot easier and makes sure you don't damage them when only assembling the kit.

And I have added a small shim of about 1 mm on the inside of the middle bearing block to center the front belt better. I had origianlly made this modification to my 710 too...
Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Acid
Hi Guys

I have pics of the car but its too large to post on site. Will take more tonight.

I did check the pulley and it is the right way around - metal on outside and plastic on inside...

How much of play do you guys have on this pulley?

Acid
Very little play ... mine maybe moves less than 0.5mm side to side and I did that on purpose ... I could have locked it so it does not move at all.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Default oneway instruction

HI' guys i need your help' can you post how you guys built your oneway and also some picture will help a lot,i have problem with my oneway i hit the left front bulk head.
Thanks a lot'
Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Acid
Hi Guys

I have pics of the car but its too large to post on site. Will take more tonight.

I did check the pulley and it is the right way around - metal on outside and plastic on inside...

How much of play do you guys have on this pulley?

Acid
not really sure how much you wanted to be, if everything installed according to manual and you want less play.. take a look at qlone manual book pic. Red line pointing to aluminum washer > put precision shims between this washer. 0.2mm on its L side (toward bulkhead) and 0.1mm toward spurs. On the other side (21T pulley), you could also do shimmings.

Have fun, it`s a really great car.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pyramid
not really sure how much you wanted to be, if everything installed according to manual and you want less play.. take a look at qlone manual book pic. Red line pointing to aluminum washer > put precision shims between this washer. 0.2mm on its L side (toward bulkhead) and 0.1mm toward spurs. On the other side (21T pulley), you could also do shimmings.

Have fun, it`s a really great car.
Yeah, I was thinking about using shims to get this correct. Also, the other option would be to move the inner pulley (the one that connects to the rear diff) closer towards the ventilated disk. This might also bring down the amount of play.

Will try tonight, take some pics and post for you guys to have a look....

Thanks

Acid
Old 07-24-2006, 06:43 AM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Finally got my 720 today.
Started the build tonight and finished the front. First impressions are those shocks are the best I have ever seen and so bloody easy to build. All parts assemble as expected with no play.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
Just a little update for those of you interested. I drove my 720 today for the first time and all I can say is WOW. I drive in the USA and was at ft myers today. The traction was bad, as it rained before we could run. After the rain, we just ran, no more prep on the track. I started with the stock setting, everything default, except for shock oil, I used 45 wt, I also used some al. screws and a titanium 2 speed shaft. With the diff the cars weight 1702 grams, very lite. I personally did not like the diff, so put the one way(much better). I have never had a car that worked so easily. With the low traction, I needed more rotation. I did one adjustment at a time to learn the car. I put the rear arms in the top position and the car was better. Then I put blue springs and that was a perfect match. The car felt very good for the conditions. The driving line as very small, but I was able to be very consistent. I must say that for the first time I understand what is rotation. with the 710, I never really had rotation in the car. I could get it to enter good and exit good, but the middle was not that good. Now I can hold the speed more in the turns. I must say again WOW and hope you guys have a good experience. I also ran a Maxy modified mega zx12, with Maxy fuel of course, an it was awesome, I will be taking that to the GLC. Till next time. Sorry it was so long, but I really enjoyed my first day with the 720.
Forgot to mention that I also used the long steering ackerman
Old 07-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Forgot to mention that I also used the long steering ackerman
is the one from the 710 the same? thats is what i have and if so mines is hitting the front pully ? is there a mod
Old 07-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by captian
is the one from the 710 the same? thats is what i have and if so mines is hitting the front pully ? is there a mod
Yes it is the same. I filed down the ball end plastic pieces, no problem now. Took about 3 minutes.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Yes it is the same. I filed down the ball end plastic pieces, no problem now. Took about 3 minutes.
ok cool . i will do that
Old 07-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (98%+)
Default receiver packs

Hey Guys,

getting ready to begin building my kit, but I thought I would forward this info to you all as well...

Pro Match Racing (out of Arizona) will be offering IB Intellect 750 MAH Ni-Mh AAA 5 cell receiver packs for the Serpent 710/720 for only $15!!!!!!!!

they do not have it on the website just yet, but ask for "Erika" she said she will post them once she builds my 4 packs that I just ordered..........

great cells from a great dependable company...............

you can't go wrong.....no worries about runtime!!!!!

go here to get to Pro Match Racing's Website!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ghoppa; 07-24-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ghoppa
Hey Guys,

getting ready to begin building my kit, but I thought I would forward this info to you all as well...

Pro Match Racing (out of Arizona) will be offering IB750 MAH Ni-Mh AAA 5 cell receiver packs for the Serpent 710/720 for only $15!!!!!!!!

they do not have it on the website just yet, but ask for "Erika" she said she will post them once she builds my 4 packs that I just ordered..........

great cells from a great dependable company...............

you can't go wrong.....no worries about runtime!!!!!

go here to get to Pro Match Racing's Website!!!!!!!!!

750 mAh? If you do short races its OK, otherwise go for 1000 mAh.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

I still have the original 700 pack from serpent. It works great, I just have to remember to connect it to the charger between heats...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.