Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree98Likes

Serpent SRX8-GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sfox1026
Just started building the car yesterday. What is the trick to get the rear diff spacers aligned? The only way I could get them in place was to take the diff case apart, insert the spacers, they the diff. I could not get them in, following the manual. Great idea, because diffs are accessible without taking the whole car apart. just couldn't get the spacers to seat properly, when on diff.
Yes. A number of us have had this issue. It seams in a number of the kits. These plastic bearing holders were manufactured slightly over sized.
Mine also came this way.
I recently fitted a new set and these fit and worked fine. I agree. It is a very good idea!
I hope you enjoy the rest of the build.

Regards
BM
sfox1026 likes this.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Almost done!!!

What is the trick to get the front bumper screws and nuts together? The body post holes are too big and the nut just spins.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:26 AM
Tech Addict

Just started building the car yesterday. What is the trick to get the rear diff spacers aligned? The only way I could get them in place was to take the diff case apart, insert the spacers, they the diff. I could not get them in, following the manual. Great idea, because diffs are accessible without taking the whole car apart. just couldn't get the spacers to seat properly, when on diff.
Hello from France,
to get an easier insertion of the differential, you can grind a little the aluminium.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Almost done!!!

What is the trick to get the front bumper screws and nuts together? The body post holes are too big and the nut just spins.
You have to push the nuts into the "nut print" made into the plastic.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by romuald31
You have to push the nuts into the "nut print" made into the plastic.
There isn't any!!!!
Old 11-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Ordered mine today, will receive it by Friday or Saturday.
I would like to know if I can use X-ray Gtx8 clutch/shoes, the one that looks like the Gimar with one center spring ? Or is the Serpent box one is good enough ? Or what other clutch systems and shoes could be use on this car.
thx
Old 11-12-2019, 02:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by romuald31
Hello from France,
to get an easier insertion of the differential, you can grind a little the aluminium.

can we see a side view
Old 11-13-2019, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Rear wheels rubbing rear arms

Is anyone having issues with the rear wheels rubbing/cutting into the back bottom of the rear arms? Both Sweep and GRP do it, but the GRP are really bad. I run the kit setup with the hub carrier insert in the bottom outside hole. I removed some material from the arms in that area to minimize the contact between the rim and the arm. However, I’m not sure if that is a good idea or not. I only removed enough so that there is very minimal contact.

Last edited by kyle3333; 11-13-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kyle3333
Is anyone having issues with the rear wheels rubbing/cutting into the back bottom of the rear arms? Both Sweep and GRP do it, but the GRP are really bad. I run the kit setup with the hub carrier insert in the bottom outside hole. I removed some material from the arms in that area to minimize the contact between the rim and the arm. However, I’m not sure if that is a good idea or not. I only removed enough so that there is very minimal contact.
Yes. I had that issue as I have run the GRP on all my GT car's.
There is not a lot of room in the design here but there's a couple of things you can try........
Try to minimize the play in the drive-shaft, wheel hex using 8x11x0.1 shims without it binding the bearings at all.
Check play also in the ball joints on the upper arm's. Any play here can also cause this issue.
Also, on the rear. If you use the inner hole when mounting the outer (Hub) hinge pin. This may also contribute to the issue.

My car did have some slop from new in various area's but this maybe my OCD kicking in cause there are not many car's that do satisfy me in that area ...... lol.
You can also try using the optional wheel hex's all round,

600821 is +1 Wheel Hex's

Or get the lightened version also +1,

I hope this helps.

Regards
BM
Old 11-16-2019, 06:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by British Menace
Yes. A number of us have had this issue. It seams in a number of the kits. These plastic bearing holders were manufactured slightly over sized.
Mine also came this way.
I recently fitted a new set and these fit and worked fine. I agree. It is a very good idea!
I hope you enjoy the rest of the build.

Regards
BM
1 question...where are people running GT cars? seemed to disappear in the midwest
Old 11-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jpatrick
1 question...where are people running GT cars? seemed to disappear in the midwest
Sad......I recently researched Cincinnati (shorter track size per description), Toledo has been a big event but I think I
read where GT died there. The long time Byron's events in Joliet, IL disappeared years ago and not too long ago the
'property' was sold and is now a different business all together.

Lincoln, Nebraska is about the most viable 'inland' site.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Sad......I recently researched Cincinnati (shorter track size per description), Toledo has been a big event but I think I
read where GT died there. The long time Byron's events in Joliet, IL disappeared years ago and not too long ago the
'property' was sold and is now a different business all together.

Lincoln, Nebraska is about the most viable 'inland' site.
Yes. Lincoln, Nebraska has a good following for GT.
BTW: I did hear there may well be a possibility of being able to use the old LHR track again. Apparently, the new owners only want the building to use. So it may be a viable proposition to somehow rent the track space again?? It would, apparently, only be the track and no building's ie: indoor pitting area. But may be a possibility??

Regards
BM
Old 12-06-2019, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Options are coming!!

Serpent will have the good GT8 clutch design like the other brands !!

Also, all the magnesium parts (40% lighter than alu !!) are available !!!

gilesdhay likes this.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpatrick
Correct. The Toledo club decided to focus on 2wd pan in place of GT and interest waned. I do miss running GT but can't justify building a car if there is no class for it around here.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Its a shame that the Nitro Pan Car class at Toledo is considered a replacement to GT ..... It does make it sound like you can not run both?!

Regards
BM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.