Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
.-= NitroTime iPhone app - wdyt - feedback welcome =-. >

.-= NitroTime iPhone app - wdyt - feedback welcome =-.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

.-= NitroTime iPhone app - wdyt - feedback welcome =-.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default .-= NitroTime iPhone app - wdyt - feedback welcome =-.

Just finished putting together an iPhone app that you can use to estimate the runtime for Nitro cars (any car with a 75/125/150ml tank). And it’s now available on the Apple AppStore. The app is priced at the lowest price bracket. And if you want to try it out just search for “nitrotime”, one word, in the Apple AppStore from your iPhone and you should find it directly.

My goals for the app was:
  • Keep it extremely simple.
  • Not to use the touch screen keyboard for inputing data(this is usually a slow and annoying process)
  • It should actually be useful.

How I typically use it:
  • Get the car up to temp.
  • Fill up the fuel-tank and then run the car in race phase for 2-3 minutes, keeping track of how long I’m running my car for.
  • Bring in the car and using a graded fuel gun measure how much fuel was consumed.
  • Enter the data into the app and get an estimate of a full tank runtime.
  • Then I can take a look at the “Fuel Card” part in the app to decide what pit-stop strategy I should use.

So how do I use the fuel gun to measure the fuel consumed? Well, the fuel gun has to be graded. Then I fill upp the fuel gun to say 150ml exactly, then fill up the fuel tank in the car and then look at how much is left in the fuel gun. Lets say 100ml is left in the fuel gun, that means I just put 50ml in the tank, It works pretty well.

I’d like to use this thread to hear your feedback (good or bad, all is welcome) or if you have ideas on how to make the app better / more useful.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

how about some screenshots or a link?
Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by lagcisco
how about some screenshots or a link?
How about a simple do it your self search in the apple store?
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/nitr...953786581?mt=8
Old 08-11-2016, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Why not just fill you tank once the engine and chassis are at race temp and drive it till its empty, that's your run time on that track, surface, given day, pretty simple.

There are way to many things that change run time, filter, amount of oil in the filter, Venturi, throttle end point, throttle use, air temp, tuning, pipe, header, plug, clutch settings, fuel, driving style, grip level, crashes, it's an endless list to predict run time, drive it on that day and that's your run time
Old 08-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savagesam
Why not just fill you tank once the engine and chassis are at race temp and drive it till its empty, that's your run time on that track, surface, given day, pretty simple.

There are way to many things that change run time, filter, amount of oil in the filter, Venturi, throttle end point, throttle use, air temp, tuning, pipe, header, plug, clutch settings, fuel, driving style, grip level, crashes, it's an endless list to predict run time, drive it on that day and that's your run time
Sometimes at large events we arent allowed the free track time to do so. So if you keep a tally on what you use in quals then you will know. I have used the Run time method many times, and have always been within 5 seconds of the predicted time.

The more honest you are with the actual time you ran the more accurate the time is on the calculator.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by savagesam

Just as rider313 above are saying. Can't do that at competitions, usually there are 3+5 min timed practise heats.

And as you are saying there is so much that plays a role in runtime, best way is to measure it as close as possible to when you need to know it. On a competition that usually means you have to figure out your runtime in the practise heats so you know your runtime when it is time for finals.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

why only some tank size to choose from? my nominal 150ml tank in my truggy got only 137ml..
i use on Android the app nitro runtime calculator.more excact
Old 08-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Barracuda72
why only some tank size to choose from? my nominal 150ml tank in my truggy got only 137ml..
i use on Android the app nitro runtime calculator.more excact
My intention was to keep it simple, but I guess I could make the the tank size variable. Thanks fot the input I'll add that in the next version.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Tech Adept

New version(1.1) submitted, should be available within a few days.

I've changed the fuel-tank size selection to a slider [70-155] with 1ml increments instead of the fixed [75 | 125 | 150] segmented controller used previously.

State of the app is also saved when killing it and restored when starting it again.

Here is a screenshot with the slider:

Attached Thumbnails .-= NitroTime iPhone app - wdyt - feedback welcome =-.-simulator-screen-shot-13-aug-2016-17.22.16.png