Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine pre-warming

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have used the powerhouse engine warmer and the comp heater. It is 100% necessary when the engine is new. and then once it breaks in why not use it? I try to always pre heat my engines and they seem to last where others dont. It also takes a lot of stress off the rod so well worth it IMO.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
I just thought of a H1 car bulb to preheat an engine. Turn the car upside down and the engine will heat up quickly. That bulb uses 12V / 55 W and no fan to heat up all the plastic parts
I tried to make one and when 55W didn't work, I went to a 100W bulb. I didn't work either. After 15min, max temp was around 100 degrees.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
I tried to make one and when 55W didn't work, I went to a 100W bulb. I didn't work either. After 15min, max temp was around 100 degrees.
We're not baking cookies, we are heating racing engines
Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CompetitionHeat
We're not baking cookies, we are heating racing engines
Thats funny.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I have the competition engine warmer and LOVE it. It makes it so much easier to start and tune the engine. I am going to buy another so I have 1 for buggy and truggy. It's a simple to use product that makes a big difference.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've used the car exhaust....as well as a big magnifying glass.

The glass will make big heat fast.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

pre heating your nitro micro engine will definitely extend engine life and stop you from trying to play with your carb needles when not necessary

IMO an excellent product from a top notch guy
Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

+1
Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I keep saying this, but the Comp Heater will pay for itself and then some. I am on 6 gallons with ZERO rod wear. I use the heater EVERY time I start the engine. It takes all the stress of the internals especially in the first few gallons. Just try it, it really is the new "Norm" for most of us at the track.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

at $100, they can keep it.

.....but im cheap tho, lol. Would a heat gun not work good enough? I see some guys at my local track just hold a heat gun on for a few seconds and fire it up, then it naturally heats. I recently got ahold of a fairly new GO engine and the pinch is real tight. Would pre-heating help get it started when the pinch is tight like this?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9

.....but im cheap tho, lol. Would a heat gun not work good enough? I see some guys at my local track just hold a heat gun on for a few seconds and fire it up, then it naturally heats. I recently got ahold of a fairly new GO engine and the pinch is real tight. Would pre-heating help get it started when the pinch is tight like this?
heat gun would work, would it be too hot ? i used to use my gf's hairdryer, obviously when i was just testing at home. But i would heat it up nice & hot and then run out side & start it, worked well...
Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you don't think longer engine life, easier tuning and less wear and tear on all of your interior engine components is worth spending $100 for then you are correct. But engineers and mechanics in all forms of racing cannot be wrong. If it didn't work and extend engine life they wouldn't have invented them and use them regularly.

This product pays for itself over a period of time with the saving you get just in the increased engine longevity itself.

Besides why would you want to hold a heat gun for a couple of seconds to just get an engine started when in essence all you did was just release enough pinch to free it to start while internally the engine is still wearing down due to the lack of sustained heat. The engine will constantly be wearing out until it reaches the desired operating temperature. The sustained heat is in essence what the Heater does to your engine before you start it. Bringing it up to close to operating temperature. Thus removing the initial wear and strain your engine goes through each and every time you start your engine no matter if you are just breaking it in or it has 7 gallons of fuel run through it.

IMO there really is no reason why not to buy 1. It does no damage and only helps.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

A heat gun for a few seconds does not heat an engine. It may heat the 'skin' of the engine, but inside it's still cold. Heat guns can heat the engine well, but you have to babysit them, hold it for a few minutes, always move it around not to overheat one portion of the engine making sure the whole engine is evenly heated, careful not to burn the plastic or wires on your car, and heat guns are very hot, you can get some stuff too hot. The Competition Heat warmer you put it on and forget about it until you fire the engine up. Giving something all of us want more of and none of us can buy.........time. I use the Competition Heat warmers, or try to. Not using a heater is an old habit I'm trying to break.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I'd rather buy 1 Competition Warmer for each engine I own, than to replace/rebuild each engine I own every 3 or 4 gallons ;-)

Trust me....until you try one, you have NO IDEA what you are missing. I leave mine on my engine darn near all day on race day, unless I'm wrenching on it or it just came off the track. My starter box gets a rest since it fires near instantly EVERY time. My engine gets a rest since it;s not forcing 2 pieces of metal into each other just to get started and warmed up. My wallet gets a break from less rebuilds and overall maintenance ;-)

It's a win no matter how you slice it. Best $100 I ever spent....OK well a close second to my tools ;-)
Old 08-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

i think its one of my next purchases. i just got a new engine and im using a heat gun for now. Ive heard a lot of great stuff about the warmer. Heat guns are nice but its hard, you gotta keep it away from the carb etc. They work good but it just takes time. Competion heat just wraps around the head right? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.