R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #31
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedmond View Post
That is the reason i stopped running OS motors. I had 3, 2 vspec and 1 speed get the crack in 1 piece motor mounts.

I am surprised now one mentioned an obvious possibility. FUEL. you live in AZ, as i live in NV. the heat were we live kills fuel.
When you say "kills fuel" are you meaning to relate that to how the case cracked? Just curious what you mean so I can try to prevent it.

-Don
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #32
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 855
Default

He wasn't saying fuel cracked the case. Fuel lefted out in direct sunlight and high humid makes the fuel draw moisture. Another thing dump the temp gun thats fine if you wa starting out in nitro. But by now you should be able to tune by sight, sound, smell and reading the glow plug.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #33
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
He wasn't saying fuel cracked the case. Fuel lefted out in direct sunlight and high humid makes the fuel draw moisture. Another thing dump the temp gun thats fine if you wa starting out in nitro. But by now you should be able to tune by sight, sound, smell and reading the glow plug.
Ah... ok. Actually I knew that about fuel. I keep my fuel in a cooler just to keep it out of the sun and somewhat insulated from heat.

And thanks for the tip about tuning and I will take your advice. Actually I learned A LOT though this process. I was able to learn and observe several great engine tuners and none of them used the temp gun as you meantion. I learned how apply techniques in tuning as you describe. Now I just have to practice it... once I get my engine back.


Thank you,
-Don
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #34
Tech Master
 
Bigedmond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,837
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Yea, i was just saying that heat can kill the fuel.

Cracking blocks are the reason i stopped running os motors. I mean, almost nine hundred bucks of motors rendered worthless because of a block crack inside its first gallon. Sure i can ebay new blocks, but they will just crack to. So i switched to GRP. Orion is the next motor on my list to try out.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #35
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedmond View Post
Yea, i was just saying that heat can kill the fuel.

Cracking blocks are the reason i stopped running os motors. I mean, almost nine hundred bucks of motors rendered worthless because of a block crack inside its first gallon. Sure i can ebay new blocks, but they will just crack to. So i switched to GRP. Orion is the next motor on my list to try out.
What do you think of Novarossi or Gotech?
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #36
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,210
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Novarossi engines are fantastic. Go's seem to have widespread tuning issues. Just my two cents. I've experienced the headache of a Go motor and it was enough to scare me and everyone else who tried to help me off.
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #37
Tech Adept
 
David Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Posts: 128
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Day Send a message via MSN to David Day Send a message via Yahoo to David Day
Default

Novarossi engines are excellent, Definately recommend them

From what I hear about OS Engines, I will never even think about them again, :P
__________________
Day Brothers Racing
*http://daybrosracing.webege.com*
2nd Place 2006 Winter Series 10th/Scale Gas @ Lake Havasu RC Raceway
RC10GT - Snoopy #5x
Kyosho Inferno777 WC SP2
David Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Duct View Post
Ah... ok. Actually I knew that about fuel. I keep my fuel in a cooler just to keep it out of the sun and somewhat insulated from heat.

And thanks for the tip about tuning and I will take your advice. Actually I learned A LOT though this process. I was able to learn and observe several great engine tuners and none of them used the temp gun as you meantion. I learned how apply techniques in tuning as you describe. Now I just have to practice it... once I get my engine back.


Thank you,
-Don
Ok, you know I wasn't trying to dump on you about the temp gun.
Thats great you are learning
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #39
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Ok, you know I wasn't trying to dump on you about the temp gun.
Thats great you are learning
Oh ya... I assumed you were not dumping on me... I don't take anything offensive in forums because it's too easy to read too much in to words.

Also, you’re right on... I did think you used temp guns more in tuning, but now I know it's very much the opposite. It seems the only thing you use a temp gun for is to just make sure your not burning up your engine due to lack of tuning knowledge or as a tool for breaking in engines. I now know temp guns have nothing to do with actually tuning your engine.

Thank you,

-Don
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #40
Tech Master
 
bgbelden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 1,980
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
dont bother with anything else just replace the rod and i bet your problems will be solved. when the vspec rod gets slop it causes the engine to flame out. replace the rod seal the backplate and you should be good to go
I've been having same issues and my boy said that my con rod was prob shot.
__________________
''Life's tough ........
it's even tougher if you're stupid..''
-- John Wayne
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #41
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

definitely novarossi!!!
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #42
Tech Master
 
Bigedmond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,837
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

I personally have never ran a Go Tech, or Nova. I have nothing against them.

I definitely agree, that using the temp gun should only be used to verify what you see, feel and hear. at my track, we have a father son team, and they only tune by temp. I have tried, along with others trying to get it across to them that temp should not be what they go by.

I think one of these days i am going to write an extensive blog on engine tuning.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #43
Tech Adept
 
David Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Posts: 128
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Day Send a message via MSN to David Day Send a message via Yahoo to David Day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedmond View Post
I personally have never ran a Go Tech, or Nova. I have nothing against them.

I definitely agree, that using the temp gun should only be used to verify what you see, feel and hear. at my track, we have a father son team, and they only tune by temp. I have tried, along with others trying to get it across to them that temp should not be what they go by.

I think one of these days i am going to write an extensive blog on engine tuning.
Please do
__________________
Day Brothers Racing
*http://daybrosracing.webege.com*
2nd Place 2006 Winter Series 10th/Scale Gas @ Lake Havasu RC Raceway
RC10GT - Snoopy #5x
Kyosho Inferno777 WC SP2
David Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:35 AM   #44
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Townsville
Posts: 419
Default

RB bud!!!
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 AM   #45
Tech Regular
 
mremtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 420
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

After seeing a GRP go last night , I would definately say they RIP !
they will run with a OS all day long , both on milage and down the straights!
As for the Ex-Tech ...... I am not impressed ..... I have yet to see one that will run with a 421B Nova or get over 7 minutes on a tank! This is a big issue now a days, and you need to get the run time out of them. I run 6 minute Quallies with a first lap run to the line so you need to get at least 6:45 run time ! And they still run out of fuel ? OS and GRP easily make this window, and a properly tuned RB C6 will , but most others are cutting it very close.
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
chronic header bending problem omega_revo Monster Trucks 1 03-04-2006 01:53 AM
XXX-S cut outs TL_XXX-S_racer Electric On-Road 9 09-25-2004 11:00 PM
Dissapointing turn-outs The Buster Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 11 07-28-2004 10:02 AM
The ins and outs of motors..... RoadRat Electric On-Road 2 05-26-2003 12:43 PM
Flame outs,,, My MT-12 is driving me nuts!11 compuatic Nitro On-Road 13 05-12-2003 01:24 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:26 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net